Holland America's Westerdam Cruise Ship Emerges from Dry Dock With New Spaces

LauraS

So the TVs on HAL are not interactive? Cannot view ship board account make dinner reservations etc?

Just off the Oosterdam (sister ship to Westerdam), and you could not view dinner reservations, onboard account etc. on the TV.

You have to use HAL's app 'Navigator' to do those things. Navigator is very easy to use, and is very helpful. You just connect to the ship's wi-fi with your device in airplane mode and you're good to go. There are no extra charges for using the app. :)

cant say how much I appreciate any and all pictures from people aboard westerdam so we can see updates and changes. I tend to like the more neutral palette than some of the cruise ships we have sailed on but one of the reasons we have enjoyed HAL and princess is the more traditional décor. Still don't care for that weird looking atrium piece and still think a lot of public space furniture looks uncomfortable but we will see it first hand in December and conclude our thoughts at that time. Thanks again for all the pictures

We agree. We're on the Dec. 1st sailing, and I'm sure we'll enjoy it--but I am disappointed about the changes.

On day 27 of 49 on Westerdam--and just to clarify: Sadly, in a Signature Suite (SY/SS) you canNOT view the TV from the sofa, as the new large TV is directly above it (where a large art print used to be).... There is, however, more space on desk where TV used to sit. Note: New TV service does NOT allow you to view your account (bill). You can only access via personal device or print via Deck 1 machine (or ask Front Desk). And you can no longer get the screen that shows exactly where the ship is.... Other new services via the TV are offered, including many new movies to select to view individually (rather than via DVD).

Also: Medicine cabinets are indeed gone (Bring a hanging bag or two.), and the clunky low cocktail table (unsuitable for room service meals) remains post-renovation.

Bathroom has a nice automatic nightlight--and USB ports are helpful. New carpet and soft furnishings are welcome.

And, as always, staff onboard are truly marvelous! 😊

Hope this helps.

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

Not being able to see the tv from the sofa is a looser.

• 1 month later...

We are now on the Westerdam, and I love the changes—with the exceptions of not being able to see the t.v. From the couch and the “cheek to jowl” seating in the theater. The public spaces are lovely, and despite the chairs and sofas looking modern and poiibly uncomfortable, every chair I’vebeen in has been comfortable—excellent lumbar support. We’re having a good time.