Jury still out on Oprah

EDLOS

Are you sure your not confusing lonely planet and rough guides ? I grew out of rough guides pretty quickly but lonely planet magazine is a great source of information ...they aren't the largest travel publisher in the world for nothing.

To me, Lonely Planet books seem to be more "alternative to usual tourist stuff" books than, say, Fodor, Frommer, Michelin.. I do use Lonely Planet books for my research (just pulled out my book for Rome). They do dive into culture more than the others. Not a "day tripper" kind of book, but one for those wanting to explore. I can always find better lower-cost hotels in LP. Plus, they offer more alternatives - hostels, etc., than the usual guide, I always thought. I just never thought Lonely Planet would fit the HAL demographic. Just me.

Instead of resorting to gimmicks we think that HAL should simply get down to basics and focus on their core business.

Spend more time/moneyon maintaining those old ships and less time trying to come up with the next daytime television personality gimmick.

Really, why on earth would I book a cruise to see or hear Oprah when I could turn on the television?

You have to ask yourself......has it really come down to this?

I don't think more of this kind of partnership any more than I think of the partnerships cruise lines do with celebrity chefs. I'm not a fan of some of their styles and not happy when the cruise line builds menus around their chefs' styles. But, there are other offerings there so I can "avoid". Cruise lines have to continually recruit new cruisers, so they may do partnerships to try to entice someone to "come aboard" - if they like the onboard experience beyond the partnership, they may have birthed a new cruiser.

Every one does gimmicks. Why would someone want to book an "Amy Grant" cruise when one could easily just listen to her on CD? Some want the "live" experience, be it a celebrity, a band, a shared interest... Some will be in the forms of charters, some will be partnerships directly with cruise line. Don't bash it because you personally have something against someone - there are others who will book. We can see when all the special cruises are - we can avoid them if we want.

Ms. Winfrey has had failures in the past and present - I'm sure she won't take it personally if you all don't like this one and in the end HAL ends the partnership. Try something new, it may work, it may not work.

Edited by slidergirl

Sorry, but I would NEVER book a cruise just because someone else was going to be on it UNLESS they were paying for me to go!

Just not my thing.....

I would love to book a Star Trek or Star Wars cruise and would consider paying a premium to do so. HAL would get me to spend a lot of money if I could hang out in the bars with my favorite actors and actress for 7 days. That would be dope!

I don't think more of this kind of partnership any more than I think of the partnerships cruise lines do with celebrity chefs. I'm not a fan of some of their styles and not happy when the cruise line builds menus around their chefs' styles. But, there are other offerings there so I can "avoid". Cruise lines have to continually recruit new cruisers, so they may do partnerships to try to entice someone to "come aboard" - if they like the onboard experience beyond the partnership, they may have birthed a new cruiser.

Every one does gimmicks. Why would someone want to book an "Amy Grant" cruise when one could easily just listen to her on CD? Some want the "live" experience, be it a celebrity, a band, a shared interest... Some will be in the forms of charters, some will be partnerships directly with cruise line. Don't bash it because you personally have something against someone - there are others who will book. We can see when all the special cruises are - we can avoid them if we want.

Ms. Winfrey has had failures in the past and present - I'm sure she won't take it personally if you all don't like this one and in the end HAL ends the partnership. Try something new, it may work, it may not work.

Why should we not ' bash it' if we think the whole thing a ridiculous, losing gimmick ? I would resent if Oprah and her entourare were an impediment to open and free use and movement through and arournd the ship.

Edited by sail7seas

I look at it this way.

#1 as I said before I wouldn't pay an extra nickel to cruise with any "celebrity"!

#1 I believe before this "O" never stepped foot on any HAL ship. If she cruised she did it on a private yacht.

#3 If I go to a talk onboard I want to hear about the ports, the oceans we are cruising on or something relatable to cruising, the ship etc. I do not want to hear about someone's magazine or their newest weight loss program.

I look at it this way.

#1 as I said before I wouldn't pay an extra nickel to cruise with any "celebrity"!

#1 I believe before this "O" never stepped foot on any HAL ship. If she cruised she did it on a private yacht.

#3 If I go to a talk onboard I want to hear about the ports, the oceans we are cruising on or something relatable to cruising, the ship etc. I do not want to hear about someone's magazine or their newest weight loss program.

^ ^ Y, yes,,,,,,,,,, that

Why should we not ' bash it' if we think the whole thing a ridiculous, losing gimmick ? I would resent if Oprah and her entourare were an impediment to open and free use and movement through and arournd the ship.

Many are bashing Ms. Winfrey personally, not the collaboration of her COMPANY and HAL. Different things.

What would happen if HAL announced a collaboration with Breitbart? With Martha Stewart? With Rachael Ray? With WWE? Are you against the person because of their wealth and "politics" or just against any collaborations? It's a huge difference, IMHO. Don't like Steven Spielberg? Avoid Disney - it has a collaboration with DreamWorks.

For us this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the person. We simply don't want to be on a cruise with a bunch of wannabes and groupies. Not even interested in getting on a cruise with a bunch of bible thumpers, dentists, political commentators, whatever.

We have no opinion on Oprah Winfrey. Same with Martha Stewart. We avoid both like the plague because we are not interested in the message, the data, or the products. Nothing personal whatsoever. It is the same reason why we shop at some stores and not at others. Personal preference.

We simply think that HAL should spend more time bolstering their own waning basic offerings as a way of attracting business rather than attracting various personalities-well known, rich, poor, inspirational, floggers of the latest diet fads, or whatever. We are simply not interested.

If we were on a cruise we would much rather have an educational/enrichment speaker adding value to areas where we are travelling than someone trying to flog a bunch of items on us that we won't use or don't need or trying to indoctrinate us to their particular point of view. Nor do we want to be subjected to the on board inconvenience.

Edited by iancal

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not Oprah who's going to be on board, its people from her magazine. A popular magazine with over 2 million subscribers, I might add. So I don't see there being "wannabes and groupies" on board (does Oprah even have groupies?).

As a shareholder, I applaud them doing something that brings new younger customers to a cruise line that has historically been known as the line for your parents (or your grandparents). The description on the first cruise says "Thought leaders and visionaries from Oprah's SuperSoul 100 will be on-board these sailings with provocative ideas for living your best life." I don't think that's all that bad. If you don't like it, don't book the 4 cruises they have specifically listed and skip the events they've added to other cruises.

Did people complain about the Dancing With The Stars cruise activities that they had for a few years, too?

For the record, I'm not a fan of Oprah but I don't dislike her, either.

Edited by MisterBill99

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not Oprah who's going to be on board, its people from her magazine. A popular magazine with over 2 million subscribers, I might add. So I don't see there being "wannabes and groupies" on board (does Oprah even have groupies?).

It's my understanding that Oprah is going to be on 4 sailings total (one of which already happened), but many others will have the activities. I doubt the latter category will cause disruption. And at least with the Oprah cruises, they are upfront about letting people know. So you can easily avoid those cruises -- unlike a lot of other, disruptive groups on board cruises that the cruise lines WON'T tell you in advance about.

It's my understanding that Oprah is going to be on 4 sailings total (one of which already happened), but many others will have the activities. I doubt the latter category will cause disruption. And at least with the Oprah cruises, they are upfront about letting people know. So you can easily avoid those cruises -- unlike a lot of other, disruptive groups on board cruises that the cruise lines WON'T tell you in advance about.

The HAL website for the partnership does not mention that she will be on board. Perhaps you know something that they aren't advertising.

The Cruise Critic article about the first sailing specifically says "Note: Winfrey is not scheduled to appear on future cruises, though you shouldn't rule out a surprise visit."

My understanding is that there would be three levels of Oprahness.

1. Oprah herself would be on only one cruise. Actually, part of a cruise, and that was this past summer in Alaska.

2. There are 3 (I think) "Oprah-themed" cruises, which will feature appearances/lectures by her posse. Her supersouls and thought leaders, etc. (Is it just me, or does "thought leader" evoke images of brainwashing?? :eek:??)

3. There are Oprah-related talks and yoga/exercise classes on board many other cruises, but these are not done by Oprah or her posse. For example, the what you should eat talk on our cruise was done by the CD.

So really, if someone doesn't like Oprah, the O stuff seems easy to avoid. It was there (level 3) but never intruded on my enjoyment of our Alaska cruise.

The HAL website for the partnership does not mention that she will be on board. Perhaps you know something that they aren't advertising.

The Cruise Critic article about the first sailing specifically says "Note: Winfrey is not scheduled to appear on future cruises, though you shouldn't rule out a surprise visit."

You are correct. I had been looking at an article online earlier that had incorrect information about Oprah's participation in the four cruises. :o

Many are bashing Ms. Winfrey personally, not the collaboration of her COMPANY and HAL. Different things.

What would happen if HAL announced a collaboration with Breitbart? With Martha Stewart? With Rachael Ray? With WWE? Are you against the person because of their wealth and "politics" or just against any collaborations? It's a huge difference, IMHO. Don't like Steven Spielberg? Avoid Disney - it has a collaboration with DreamWorks.

Who said anything a bout politics? Actually talking poliitics here is against CC rules. So far as i can see, I think you are the first to mention politics in this thread.

As to th e Winfrey corporation or , company............. there is NO company without Oprah.

She is the magazine, she is the company........ There is nothing to do with 'O' without 'O'

Who said anything a bout politics? Actually talking poliitics here is against CC rules. So far as i can see, I think you are the first to mention politics in this thread.

As to th e Winfrey corporation or , company............. there is NO company without Oprah.

She is the magazine, she is the company........ There is nothing to do with 'O' without 'O'

“Where would her soup be without The O!”

Love you sail well said. There is no politics here, just peoples opinions and views.

Smooth Sailings to all!

Denise:)

“Where would her soup be without The O!”

Love you sail well said. There is no politics here, just peoples opinions and views.

Smooth Sailings to all!

Denise:)

And always smooth sailing to you, Denise. :) and to all. :)

Sorry, but you are mistaken. Back when this whole Oprah started (some are still stickies), people were bringing up her politics and possible aspirations, the backing she gave to the Chicago Olympics bid (if you don't think those are politic, you have your head in the sand).

Still, HAL did not sign with Ms. Winfrey; they most likely signed a collaborative agreement with Harpo, Inc...

But, enough.

After reading this thread, the one thing I find truly bothersome are the words attributed to HAL:

"Thought leaders and visionaries..."

I only hope they are just regurgitating some standard marketing nonsense.

As for the partnership itself, it's something that one can let pass and ignore.

After reading this thread, the one thing I find truly bothersome are the words attributed to HAL:

"Thought leaders and visionaries..."

I only hope they are just regurgitating some standard marketing nonsense.

Yes. I'm not sure why some of the folks here get their knickers in such a twist over a marketing partnership... (when I heard "thought leaders" I thought of those who lead Bible Studies and tries to focus the discussion on which train of thought/interpretation their particular sect/denomination believes)

Now that I know what this is, I could easily ignore it and not be affected at all.

However, if O ever does go on board, I wouldn't even want to be in the same port, let alone on the same ship with her.

Now that I know what this is, I could easily ignore it and not be affected at all.

However, if O ever does go on board, I wouldn't even want to be in the same port, let alone on the same ship with her.

I don't want to be around her entourage, :D

I don't want to be around her entourage, :D

Sail - you may want to go back to the Oprah stickies and see who first brought up Oprah and politics before you write...

With the hundreds of cruises offered by HAL, why are a very, very few so upset that a handful have special programming that is OPTIONAL? Again, these aren't like the secret "partial charters" where you board and find out your cruise has been overtaken by either duplicate bridge players, ballroom dancers, knitters, Evangelical religious groups, square dancers, lovers of Motley Crue... If you "don't want to be around her entourage", simple - just don't book those cruises. I still do not understand the personal animus shown here...