Bucket List Ports?

ROBERTEVANOVER

What a fun thread!!

My completed bucket list port would have to be St. Petersburg. However, if one counts a whole bucket list voyage, it would be the transatlantic crossing on QM2; such an iconic trip that I've done twice and would not hesitate to repeat.

The bucket list port I long to visit is so hard to narrow down but if I could only pick one it would likely be Alexandria. If considering a whole voyage, Antarctica would take the cake.

As history lovers we have enjoyed many great places but our favorite port is more for personal reasons. On our Mediterranean cruise we rented a car and explored the lovely island of Corfu. We met some wonderful people, enjoyed beautiful scenery,had one of our favorite lunches and just had a most memorable day.

Our bucket list port would have to be Easter Island. Fingers crossed for 2019!!

Such an interesting question! I'm new to cruising, so I'm just figuring out how to merge my bucket list "locations I need to visit" with various cruise itineraries.

For bucket list items ticked off already -- at the top of my bucket list was "take a cruise" and a little further down was "visit Alaska." I was able to combine those last month with the 14-day Great Alaska Explorer on the Amsterdam.

I have a bunch more locations ticked off by my next two scheduled HAL cruises:

1) Voyage of the Vikings -- 38 days Jul-Aug 2018 on the Rotterdam -- this takes care of Newfoundland and northeast Canada, Iceland, Norway, Scotland, and Maine. I did an entire chapter in my masters thesis on a specific (rather esoteric) aspect of life in L'Anse aux Meadows (northern Newfoundland), so it has been high on my bucket list for 10 yrs.

2) Hawaii-Tahiti-Marquesas -- 28 days Mar-April 2019 on the Eurodam -- South Pacific, seeing the Southern Cross, Bora Bora, Papeete, and Moorea.

And I just had a great conversation yesterday with my wonderful HAL Personal Cruise Consultant about putting together a B2B2B (or something) either late in 2019 or sometime in 2020: Transatlantic starting somewhere in the US, then Mediterranean including Spain, southern France, Italy, and Greece; and finally another transatlantic back to the US. This ticks off a huge bunch of bucket list items. I've done a lot of "land" travel in Europe on business over the years - Ireland, France, Netherlands, London; and a couple of concert tours - Spain and Central Europe - Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and Austria. Cruising gives me a chance to see more places comfortably.

We have been lucky to hit a lot of our bucket list places.

So many places we have enjoyed - Volos, Vigo, Bulgaria, Russia, Istanbul, Kiel Canal, Bora Bora, Buenos Aires, Venice, Rome are just a few of tham.

Some bucket list places to visit are on our next cruise - St. Peter's Port, Galway & Bantry are a few.

After that? Who knows? I tend to browse itineraries and reseach and choose. Do have one in mind for 2019 but we will see how 2018 goes first ;)

Wow, great question.

#1 would need to be Moorea spent the night there and saw the southern cross

#2 St Petersburg Russia. I have wanted to go there my whole life.

Other places/ things I want to see the northern lights, travel the suez canal. Visit the Indian Ocean, travel to Patagonia, Travel around the world in one trip........ Got to stop!

We took an expedition ship and did go ashore on the Antarctic peninsula, so that was our seventh continent, and definitely filled most of our bucket list items. I don't need to do it again!

Still to do - Iceland and Greenland in August 2019. We booked a 20 day there on Prinsendam while we were on Rotterdam last week.

And of course, we happily return to the Med over and over. Never tire of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't really have bucket list ports, but I do have bucket list itineraries. Number one already done would be the Baltic. Number one still to do would be a tie for first between a European river cruise, a Greek islands, or a French Canada that would include both Montreal and Quebec.

To answer the original question, I would say Glacier Bay is #1 so far, although you could argue it's not really a port. Amsterdam is #1 on my bucket list of yet to be visited.

Roz

Port or not, we were in Glacier Bay just 3 weeks ago and it's something I will NEVER forget. Most towns and cities are better visited for longer than a cruise will allow you, but there's no better way to visit a glacier. 86a34df79639a736c299b3e95d867ced.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

What a great discussion, and one that got me thinking. I hit so many of my bucket list ports via Navy ships, the remaining list via a cruise ship is shorter. But already visited high on my list of favs is Alexandria and inland to pyramids. Speaking of bucket list, remember when Morgan Freeman and Jack are sitting on the top of Cheops pyramid, they really were not there - as every square inch of the top stones have graffiti carved into the limestone over the centuries, which was sad to see. I'm not sure if your allowed to climb to the top today, but in the 70's some "tip" money would cause the guards to turn there back and away we went. Hong Kong, and Singapore top the list as well. For our future cruise, Alaska next summer and someday Australia. Enjoyed the thoughts and input from all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailing into Venice is the highlight of any cruise! If you have not done so I highly recommend it.

Bora Bora is tops on our "to do" list also.

Great thread!

We are backward of Cruiser Bill. We loved Bora Bora and have Venice on our "to do" list. My personal favorite was experiencing Petropovlovsk earlier this year. Hope to check off Venice next year.

Cheers!

This is so tough for me since I cruise mainly for itinerary. My top ports would have to include Istanbul but also Kusadasi for all the wonderful Roman sites one can visit from there. Sailing in or out of Venice is an experience everyone should have. Egypt is best seen on a land trip but I've touched five different ports there as well including Sharm el sheikh for an unforgettable visit to St Catherine's monastery. For sheer exotic factor, stopping in Latakia in Syria for an overnight visit to Palmyra -- now largely destroyed thanks to the bloody mindedness of the human race...😢

My bucket list today includes Greenland for the history of the Vikings there. And I live in hope that in my lifetime it will someday be safe to stop in Libya to visit the outstanding Roman ruins of Leptis Magna.

Just peeking in to say if there's some serious "have to do it stuff" on your bucket list go ahead and Do It as soon it's possible.:)

DH and I had just started on ours with cruises to Alaska and Europe when, in the blink of and eye, his health changed and we were unable to go for more than a week at a time and now he can no longer fly. If it's possible to go instead of putting it off until "someday" do because you may not get that someday chance.;)