If you think that shorts in the MDR is entertaining, this'll top it...

M_BA

We always follow the dress code, but my feet swell so badly that I've worn dressy flipflops, or sandals because I could NOT fit into my shoes.

I've even worn penguin slippers to the MDR on our around the horn cruise. When your shoes don't fit, you do what you can, I was even complimented on my cute footwear.

Of course, I did have on a nice dress with my penguin slippers.:)

Interesting to say the least.

Flip flops in SE Texas is pretty common place. I wear them quite often when the weather allows for it. In fact, I have several pairs for different types of occasions. I pulled this post off the thread you posted and find it strange to say the least...

"Actually yes, they are dirty. Not the flip flops, but the feet. People who wear flip flops all day have dirty feet, and are a reflection on their overall hygiene. Eating dinner in a dining hall while having dirty feet to many is a sign of disrespect, coming to dinner dirty. Clothing protects ones body from dirt and grime."

"What many people do not realize, is that what you wear, and how you present yourself is a reflection of your overall self. Come to dinner wearing a t-shirt and flip flops, is a reflection of you, and that is how you get judged. I understand it's your vacation, and what you wear should not affect my vacation, and it doesn't. However, myself, and everyone around you will judge you based on your clothes and how you handle yourself."

I shower prior to dinner and entering the MDR. My feet are as clean as the next person. The only difference is one can see my feet. I enjoy flip flops and as such I keep my feet groomed. Pedicures & foot massages occur quite often. I wear flip flops in the MDR on suggested casual dress evenings only. I do so w/ a style & comfort that matches my clothing for the evening. I'm sure there are a few that do not like this but I've learned through time to not pay attention to these folks because paying attention to them is not why I cruise. I cruise to pay attention to my wife & myself!

Happy Cruising to all!

I always wear sandals or shoes that I guess could technically be called dressy flip flops. I can't wear closed toe shoes in warm weather. So no way on a Caribbean cruise.

I do shower before dinner so my feet aren't dirty. I also try to keep them off the table near people's plates while they're eating.

It doesn't surprise me that the question was asked and had to do with a Carnival ship.

A while back, I understand they eliminated using tablecloths in the main dining room. There was a big debate about what that did to the ambiance of the space....and quite honestly, without tablecloths, to me the space becomes more casual.

The more casual you make it, the more casual people will want to be when dining there.

It doesn't surprise me that the question was asked and had to do with a Carnival ship.

A while back, I understand they eliminated using tablecloths in the main dining room. There was a big debate about what that did to the ambiance of the space....and quite honestly, without tablecloths, to me the space becomes more casual.

The more casual you make it, the more casual people will want to be when dining there.

No tablecloths? That sounds like a noisy atmosphere to me :o

I have shoes that are technically flip flops that I wear all the time. I have worn them on formal night. They are Reef's and have a heel and the cross piece is glittery silver and gold. [i know sounds trashy, but looks very nice]

I told DH that when you pay that much for shoes they stop being called flip flops--they are sandals. LOL :D

Once I am seated at the table my shorts and feet are out of sight. Carnivals decision to remove tablecloths does make the atmosphere far more casual. I cruised Carnival in January 2017 and didn't like the "new look" in the MDR. As a result I have decided no more Carnival for me. I have since cruised RCCL Allure, MSC Divina, Celebrity Silhouette with RCCL Empress in 66 days. All still have white linen. Not one problem with my black pressed dress shorts and shined boat shoes. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe from now on we should all be required to post our proposed wardrobe/attire in our respective roll calls so that others on the same cruise can vote on each article of clothing. I don't want to ruin anyone's experience with inappropriate or unattractive clothing! Most importantly, people should be required to post full length pictures of themselves along with their proposed swim suits.

Most importantly, people should be required to post full length pictures of themselves along with their proposed swim suits.

Uh-oh, now you've really stepped in it! I hope you weren't wearing flip flops at the time...:D