Eurodam vs RCCL Explorer of the Seas

globe9

The wife and I(early 40's) are planning an Alaskan cruise RT out of Seattle. She reserved an ocean view on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas which is $2434.78 total(includes all taxes & fees). She reserved directly from RCCL.

I just got a cruise compete quote for HAL Eurodam for balcony room(cat VF)which would be $2802.64 with $50 OBC. It says this includes port charges and govt fees. Seems like a balcony cabin for only about $400 more would be worth it IMO. I also feel like HAL is the better line.

Anything I'm missing? I emailed the agency to make sure $2802 is the full price but haven't heard anything back yet.

I would take that offer. I know some say that a balcony isn't worth it in Alaska, that there are ample viewing areas on the various decks, etc. I would think that having a covered balcony would be nice. I've also heard that those viewing areas on the open decks can become quite crowded. You're going to be spending a lot of money on this trip. Why not do it right?

Edit: before agreeing to that offer, you need to check out the travel agency. Do they charge change fees, cancellation fees, etc. Good TA will not charge for those things and will only pass through cruise line charges.

The wife and I(early 40's) are planning an Alaskan cruise RT out of Seattle. She reserved an ocean view on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas which is $2434.78 total(includes all taxes & fees). She reserved directly from RCCL.

I just got a cruise compete quote for HAL Eurodam for balcony room(cat VF)which would be $2802.64 with $50 OBC. It says this includes port charges and govt fees. Seems like a balcony cabin for only about $400 more would be worth it IMO. I also feel like HAL is the better line.

Anything I'm missing? I emailed the agency to make sure $2802 is the full price but haven't heard anything back yet.

Check the cruises side by side . Port times and ports might be different. One of them might not even do all ports. I would take the Eurodam because it visits Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is nice but sometimes in accessible due to ice .

Your quote might include port charges and fees, what about taxes?

I've been shut out of Tracy Arm due to ice, Glacier Bay is a pretty sure bet and i wouldn't want to go to Alaska without going there!

Alaska cruises are more about Alaska than the ship IMHO. I'd go for itinerary first: timing, day of the week of departure, airports/parking at point of departure, ports, time in ports... plus Glacier Bay is a must in my thinking. m--

From all the research we've done, Glacier Bay is a "DO NOT MISS" -& since it's a National Park & World Heritage Site, only 2 lines are allowed in - HAL & Princess. That is my answer. That being said - we are going on RCCL Explorer of the Seas in July ONLY because it is basically a reunion of friends we haven't seen in 30yrs - it is not what we would have picked if we were in charge. We are already planning to do HAL or Princess Summer 2019 since we are missing Glacier Bay in July on RCCL.