Eurodam SS vs SY Question

Sea42

I booked (directly with HAL) an SY cabin for an Alaskan cruise for my husband, myself and our grandson. Today looking at a different website I priced an SS cabin for $600 less. SY is 7078 and the SS is on deck 6. I generally prefer to be lower but am wondering if there is a reason to stick with the SY. Is there a noticeble difference between the two categories besides deck level?

Thanks for any input!

I booked (directly with HAL) an SY cabin for an Alaskan cruise for my husband, myself and our grandson. Today looking at a different website I priced an SS cabin for $600 less. SY is 7078 and the SS is on deck 6. I generally prefer to be lower but am wondering if there is a reason to stick with the SY. Is there a noticeble difference between the two categories besides deck level?

Thanks for any input!

According to HAL, the SS cabins are a slightly higher rated (more expensive) category than the SY. However, in most cases the cabins are the basically the same. To make this point clearer, several years ago HAL redid the cabin categories and many of the previous SYs were changed to SSs and visa versa. Its just HAL's way of making a bit more money by charging more for cabins in which they think have more desirable locations (I often disagree with their rankings for what its worth). So, if you like the lower deck, go for the SS. Both decks 6 and 7 on the Eurodam have only cabins above and below your cabin, which most people prefer.

As to the price difference, I am a bit concerned, as the SS cabin should be priced higher than the SY (normally about $100). Be sure that you are comparing "apples to apples" in your price comparison, taking into account what "extras" you are getting, being sure that the prices are compared on the same day, and take into account any taxes, fees or surcharges. Also, did you price 3 people on both sites? I am not saying that a $600 price difference is impossible, but it does seem to be unlikely to me for an Alaska cruise (for 7 days I assume). Please check this out very carefully and ask for more advice here if you need.