Can I get HAL insurance if I booked through a TA?

Ready2go11

Just booked a trip on the Eurodam for February and since I will be flying from the northeast considering buying insurance in case of weather delays. Can I buy the HAL premium insurance even though I booked through a TA?

Thanks

I have purchased HAL Premium insurance. Just used it. Had to cancel a Canada to Fort Laurderdale cruise that left Montreal 10/07. Was refunded 90%. No questions asked. I used a HAL PCC. But I've bought it using a TA, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can. We do. For those who think that other insurance is cheaper/better, make sure to compare the exact coverage you need/want. There ARE differences. We didn't need more medical/evacuation coverage since we purchase an annual travel policy but we DO need the cancel for any reason and preexisting conditions coverage that are cheaper with HAL Platinum.

Mine sells better insurance at a better rate. Ask your TA what she can do.

How do you know what type of insurance OP needs and the circumstances under which it might be needed? From my research, we cannot do better than HAL's CCP, which, BTW, is not insurance. It is a cancellation plan. Other insurers wanted almost twice as much for cancel for any reason.

Our TA buys HAL's insurance for us -- one day before final payment is made.

We do buy separate health insurance.

And that is the beauty of the CPP - you need not buy it until final payment. Other insurance companies require a cancel for any reason or for a waiver of pre-existing conditions to be purchased within so many days of booking. So, don't purchase it until final payment.

Another beauty is if you do cancel prior to them converting to a policy, you just let them know. No filling out paperwork, etc. I had to cancel recently due to a sudden illness in an elderly family member 4 days prior to departure. I had all 90% back inmy account within 5 days. A simple call to my credit card got it moved back to my savings account. Because I had air and a precruise tour through HAL (shorex) the price for the CPP was based only on the cruise portion. For my circumstances, buying private CAR with the waiver would have cost over double the cost of the CPP. On the other hand, because of circumstances, I would have received 100% back (and only lost the premium).

YMMV.

How do you know what type of insurance OP needs and the circumstances under which it might be needed? From my research, we cannot do better than HAL's CCP, which, BTW, is not insurance. It is a cancellation plan. Other insurers wanted almost twice as much for cancel for any reason.

Neither of us know OP's circumstances.

I didn't tell OP where to get his policy. I suggested OP should see what options his TA might offer. The other point is this: it makes little sense to ask this board what his TA can/will do. Why not ask his TA? They are the only one who knows if they can or do sell this plan. OP might also get a surprise if the TA can sell a better policy at a better rate. BTW, OP did not ask about cancel for any reason. OP asked about insurance for weather related travel.

As you noted, HAL doesn't sell insurance. It sells a cancellation plan. That plan only pays back 90% which might be important to OP. And, in order to cover his air travel, OP would have to buy that through HAL as well. Can OP buy air at a better rate? Probably since it's within the US. So, which is cheaper for OP? I don't know. Know one knows, but OP would be well advised to ask his TA about their options.

Neither of us know OP's circumstances.

I didn't tell OP where to get his policy. I suggested OP should see what options his TA might offer. The other point is this: it makes little sense to ask this board what his TA can/will do. Why not ask his TA? They are the only one who knows if they can or do sell this plan. OP might also get a surprise if the TA can sell a better policy at a better rate. BTW, OP did not ask about cancel for any reason. OP asked about insurance for weather related travel.

As you noted, HAL doesn't sell insurance. It sells a cancellation plan. That plan only pays back 90% which might be important to OP. And, in order to cover his air travel, OP would have to buy that through HAL as well. Can OP buy air at a better rate? Probably since it's within the US. So, which is cheaper for OP? I don't know. Know one knows, but OP would be well advised to ask his TA about their options.

You're right. I was, erroneously, assuming OP wanted a cancel for any reason. That not being the case, I agree that he should check either with is TA or, perhaps better, check one of the websites like insuremytrip,com.

Another beauty is if you do cancel prior to them converting to a policy, you just let them know. No filling out paperwork, etc. I had to cancel recently due to a sudden illness in an elderly family member 4 days prior to departure. I had all 90% back inmy account within 5 days. A simple call to my credit card got it moved back to my savings account. Because I had air and a precruise tour through HAL (shorex) the price for the CPP was based only on the cruise portion. For my circumstances, buying private CAR with the waiver would have cost over double the cost of the CPP. On the other hand, because of circumstances, I would have received 100% back (and only lost the premium).

YMMV.

When does the CPP convert to an insurance policy - 24 hour prior to sailing?

If I understand you correctly, I buy the CPP by the time of final payment and cancel before it converts to insurance. I get back the 80 or 90% of my cruise payments but not the cost of the CPP, right? Of course, when one is considering very expensive, lengthy cruise, one is still out a lot of money, so cancellation is not something done on a whim.

QuestionInsurance : We are booking Grand Asia and World with HAL Some Insurance Companies allow you to enter in the country of destination which affects price. Does anyone know which are the best price example: On a Grand Med. Italy $ 2600. Gambia $ 1295 So it does pay to research countries

Just booked a trip on the Eurodam for February and since I will be flying from the northeast considering buying insurance in case of weather delays. Can I buy the HAL premium insurance even though I booked through a TA?

Thanks

When does the CPP convert to an insurance policy - 24 hour prior to sailing?

If I understand you correctly, I buy the CPP by the time of final payment and cancel before it converts to insurance. I get back the 80 or 90% of my cruise payments but not the cost of the CPP, right? Of course, when one is considering very expensive, lengthy cruise, one is still out a lot of money, so cancellation is not something done on a whim.

I totally forgot to pull my CPP from March, 2017 to answer you. Your reply on a more recent thread jogged my memory.

So here it is:

Section I of the CPP is CAR, provided by HAL.

Section II is Part A (trip arrangement protection, Part B Medical protection (50k medical evac, 10k medical and dental) Part C Baggage Protection and Part D worldwide emergency assistance. Section I I is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company and I have a policy number.

I cannot find a reference as to when the policy is converted, but there are references to being effective when travel starts.

It seems I remember reading or being told 24 hours prior to the start of travel. I had it in mind when I cancelled that there was still 24 hours left before I had to cancel without submitting a claim. I just can’t find a reference to it in the paperwork I got from HAL.

Thanks

Also if you are flying from the NE in Feb. if you can you might want to fly down a couple of days early. Just in case!