IMessage on Magic?

BamaLady#13

We purchased the social media package last year and were successful with iMessage for the first 4 or 5 days of the cruise. It seemed to be unreliable after that so we switched to using FB messenger.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If all you need is person-to-person contact on the ship (but don't really need true internet access or the associated costs), the Carnival Hub app might be your best bet at $5 per device for the entire voyage. It has a messaging feature that reportedly works extremely well, and at $5 for your entire cruise it's drastically cheaper than any of the internet options, the cheapest of which (the social plan) doesn't support iMessage to start with.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152

Just back from trip on Magic. The hub was not very dependable for me. Sometimes worked sometimes I would get message 12 hours later. For the money I guess that was not bad. I ending up buying the middle internet pkg by day toward the end. And for me it was worth it.

Just back from trip on Magic. The hub was not very dependable for me. Sometimes worked sometimes I would get message 12 hours later. For the money I guess that was not bad. I ending up buying the middle internet pkg by day toward the end. And for me it was worth it.

Do u remember what the price onboard was for the entire week for that middle package? Trying to determine if it’s better to pre-purchase online now or wait and purchase once onboard. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do u remember what the price onboard was for the entire week for that middle package? Trying to determine if it’s better to pre-purchase online now or wait and purchase once onboard. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the 6 day MAGIC cruise it was

$5 to use messenger

$25 social pack (FB, messages)

$75 social, messages, bank & secure sites

$1?? For the all out pack

Whichever one you get just know you’re paying for access to more, not faster speed. Pretty much any package at sea is slower like an old DSL CONNECTION.

The $5 messenger you’re primarily using a closed network (ie cut off from the outside world) which is why you need to be on airplane mode and log directly into the ship’s internal Wi-Fi network. Just like your home the further away from the source the lower the signal is.

The Hub chat application is completely separate from any of the internet packages, and doesn't even require internet access - it works internally on the ships intranet.

You pay the $5 per device per voyage fee for Hub, and that's it - no internet package required.

Now, on the topic of internet packages...

Whichever one you get just know you’re paying for access to more, not faster speed. Pretty much any package at sea is slower like an old DSL CONNECTION.

Sounds like Carnival hasn't got on board with the highspeed solutions yet like RCI. I had the premium internet package on our last RCI cruise (aboard Grandeur, one of their older ships at that) and the internet was absolutely blistering. Speed isn't the be-all-end-all for most peoples needs, but it certainly is nice in some situations. ;)

The Hub chat application is completely separate from any of the internet packages, and doesn't even require internet access - it works internally on the ships intranet.

You pay the $5 per device per voyage fee for Hub, and that's it - no internet package required.

Now, on the topic of internet packages...

So it's $5 per voyage, not per day extra.

I'll go for it. Now to get my old school husband on board. I'm in a seminar on-board, and I want to stay in touch with him. He likes the 20th century idea of arranging a time to be somewhere. I don't want to be that tied down. Especially if I have to be back in the room (deck 2 ) in five minutes, and everyone is meeting at Lido.

The social package worked well for imessage. We also used the hub app but it seems that it would randomly log off and you have to be logged into it to receive messages. Great concept for the app but needs improvement to be reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Forget trying to get any streaming at all on facebook with the social package. (John Heald live)