Distance from French Quarter

shannonh

Hopefully this has not been asked and answered earlier....

How far is it from the cruise terminal to the French Quarter? We have never been to New Orleans before and will be boarding the ship on Saturday before Fat Tuesday. We would like to see a little of it before we get on the ship. Our thought is to check our luggage somewhere (possibly the terminal or a hotel) and spend the morning around the area. For those who know the area, is this plausible? Is it a walkable distance? Thanks!

Hopefully this has not been asked and answered earlier....

How far is it from the cruise terminal to the French Quarter? We have never been to New Orleans before and will be boarding the ship on Saturday before Fat Tuesday. We would like to see a little of it before we get on the ship. Our thought is to check our luggage somewhere (possibly the terminal or a hotel) and spend the morning around the area. For those who know the area, is this plausible? Is it a walkable distance? Thanks!

It's about three to four blocks which translates to about 1/8 mile or so. It's a very easy walk .

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to remember it being farther than 3-4 blocks. You must pass the Convention Center which is a good many blocks to Canal and then the quarters are on the other side of Canal. I would flag down a cab and have them drop me off.

• 10 years later...
Thank you so much for your reply. That is so helpful and why I absolutely love cruise critic! Thanks again for taking the time to answer!

Thank you for asking and bharing. Thanks to Irma I like other cruise addicts have to get our cruise fix. I can't get to my truncated Vista Cruise since flights won' resume till 1300 hours Tuesday day of sailing. Any sugestions for authentic cheap to moderate eats in the French Quarter Port of NOLO? Should I do 1 night or 2 nights in the big easy pre- cruise?

Just to be clear, the port is in the warehouse district by the convention center and the FQ is down river a little bit. It is generally walkable, but it is 1.5 miles. Also, if you are on Carnival, the terminal is not walkable, unless you walk through the river walk mall and down a staircase at the very end. If on NCL, the Julia Street terminal is walkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any sugestions for authentic cheap to moderate eats in the French Quarter Port of NOLO? Should I do 1 night or 2 nights in the big easy pre- cruise?

As for restaurants, Cafe du Monde is a must. We have also like Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar for lunch, Ruby Slipper Cafe, and Crescent City Brew House. Several other good restaurants in the warehouse district, depending on how much you want to spend and the NRA you are seeking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums