Do you buy wine package on board?

seniorladycruiser

Where did you see info about these wine packages? I did not find them on the Princess website.

Thanks!

Unfortunately they are nowhere on the Princess website.

They’ve told me that’s because it’s not available on every cruise & even when it meets their 10+ day cruise requirement availability is subject to having sufficient inventory to offer it.

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

• Like 2

We did it on a 21 day Med cruise and it worked well. Not offered on short cruises. I generally try to find a wine store in port and bring extra wine on board. Even with corkage for the bottles I take to the MDR I usually come out ahead and have advantage of a broader selection.

Have used the gold and it worked well. Problem I have is the wine selection is poor and the cost has gone up dramatically. Going to buty wine at shop in Southampton and having it sent to the Holiday Inn at the Port where we will be for a while.Sooner or later they willprobably raise the corkage fee to a level like other cruise lines, $20-25 Per bottle, then I will have to rethink the whole thing. French Champagne selection is poor on Princess.Bordeux poor and Calif wines not great. Mostly 3 times retail, used to be two.

Hello. I was reading about the 2 wine packages you can buy, silver or gold. Do you buy this on the ship?

You purchase it the first day you board. You can purchase it on Lido at the buffet. There's always someone walking around selling wine tasting or the wine package. We always purchase the one with the more expensive wine. There's also a table located in front of the elevators where the wine package can be purchased as well. We've always been able to purchase the wine on 10+ day cruises.

• Like 1

Anytime it’s available we buy the gold package. Generally we have to ask for the package from our waiter in the dining room. Once we have the package we are often hounded about attending a wine tasting. We’ve finally figured out that we just need to say we already have tickets. We often choose a wine more expensive than $45 and pay the difference. Several times our choice has not been available. We don’t bring our own wine as we travel too far to bring our own and don’t want to bother lugging it to the ship.

We've always purchased the gold package (paid extra for some bottles) and it worked well for us. But we did a transatlantic last fall and the ship ran out of our favorite wine in the first couple days. They ran out of our 2nd choice just a couple days after that. We were frustrated and disappointed.

On our upcoming cruise, I'd like to bring a case on board and just pay corkage.

Quick question. When you purchase a Silver Pkg. does that mean you can only havethe wine at dinner but not in your cabin ? Are you given the bottles up front ?

With any wine package you can only get wine from any dining room. You can drink it in the dining room or take a bottle to your cabin. You can get as many bottles at one time as you desire.

If you had wine at dinner you can take that unfinished bottle to drink it anywhere on the ship or they’ll store it for another time.