Cuba

Sweetpea711423

My husband and I are interested in a cruise to Cuba. I see that in the fall of 2020 Silversea has a cruise to Cuba on the Explorer. I didn’t expect the cruise to be an expedition ship. I’m not clear how that would work for Cuba. Would zodiacs be used to get into ports? I expected for the most part to simply explore cities, such as Havana, and smaller towns and things like that. Not sure how an expedition fits into this. I’ve tried to locate information on Silversea excursions in Cuba without success. Any thoughts or suggestions, anyone?

We did the Silver Explorer Nassau to Guayaquil - 24 days B2B in September 2015. Cuba was a part of that cruise. It was not marketed to the USA - so only UK Europe and Aussies on board.

My husband did a trip report for an Australian website - so some of the details are here =

We departed Nassau on 27/9 and head towards Cuba.First stop is Havana.But then the other places we visit are-

Maria La Gorde. Punta Frances.Cienfuegos and a day trip to Trinidad.Santiago de Cuba.

Then on to Porto Antonio,Jamaica. Providencia Island Puerto Limon,Costa Rica Bocas del Toro,Panama

The first voyage ends in Colon.Changeover day.

The second leg starts off with the transit of the Panama Canal.The focus then turns to nature

Darien Jungle. Bahia Solano,Colombia Utria National Park. Gorgona Island. Manta,Ecuador. Isla de la Plata.

The cruise then ends at Guayaquil.

There were only 76 passengers on the cruise, tours were great, we did one in the old cars, the lecturers were all good.

If there is a specific question/s you have - we might be able to answer. - it just may take a few days as we are currently in Japan !

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, MHF said:

There are now Wind cruises to Cuba in 2020.  I am booked on the March 30 departure.

If you’d like to see Cuba, you would be better off booking a land tour, not a SS cruise.  The SS itineraries offer little time in Cuba for their 7 day cruises and more time sailing between Florida and Cuba. For example, there are only 6 hours in Santiago de Cuba.   This cruise might perhaps attract the American clientele who otherwise have difficulty visiting Cuba.  Another option is to look at Seadream or Regent who may be offering a better itinerary to Cuba than SS.  

I actually didn't pick the cruise...Mom did.  She doesn't want a huge amount of time in Cuba.  She visited as a teenager in the 50's and just wants a reminder.  I'm happy to go on just about any SS cruise.  I prefer the Shadow/Whisper size but the Wind was fine too.  Was booked on Spirit in early December but had to cancel.

10 minutes ago, MHF said:

I actually didn't pick the cruise...Mom did.  She doesn't want a huge amount of time in Cuba.  She visited as a teenager in the 50's and just wants a reminder.  I'm happy to go on just about any SS cruise.  I prefer the Shadow/Whisper size but the Wind was fine too.  Was booked on Spirit in early December but had to cancel.

I hope your Mom enjoys her return to Cuba! And you both enjoy the cruise.  

Edited by Sunprince

2 hours ago, Sunprince said:

If you’d like to see Cuba, you would be better off booking a land tour, not a SS cruise.  The SS itineraries offer little time in Cuba for their 7 day cruises and more time sailing between Florida and Cuba. 

I believe that Whisper offers a late 2019 cruise with a number of days in Cuba (perhaps four or five) and an overnight in Havana.