What "odd" things do you look forward to when cruising?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Rituals
Not voo-doo...but what do YOU do?
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:30 AM.
California
2,034 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by SXMFreedom
I haven't cruised yet. And, for the record, I'm not wishing any heart attacks on anybody. But it would be interesting to see a Coast Guard chopper land on the ship's pad.
Here's a video of the Coast Guard removing a passenger from a cruise ship. I believe it is a Holland America ship. As has been posted, the standard method is to retrieve the patient in a stokes litter (basket).

http://www.weather.com/video/cruise-...mergency-32252
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess, October 2014 (CA Coastal - SF, Ensenada, Long Beach, San Diego, Santa Barbara - SF)
Sapphire Princess, September, 2012 (Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers)
NCL, Norwegian Pearl, April, 2010 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Sun, April, 2009 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Coral Princess, May, 2008 (Repo SF to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Star, May, 2007 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Carnival Paradise, Nov. 2005 (LA to Ensenada)
MS Karamzin, July, 1996 (Volga - Moscow to St. Petersburg - Russian River Cruise)
HAL Rotterdam, July 1993 (Alaska)
4 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Welcome aboard drink
Server that scrapes crumbs off tablecloth between course
A personal dude to pour our wine. 8 dollars at Costco, but 32 at sea!
Drinks in hot tub watching the wake
Afternoon "naps"
Towel critters
Room fairies that clean, turn down sheets, and give chocolates
Philipino dudes that sing jimmy buffet as good as jimmy buffet
Ocean view tables with dolphins racing us out to sea
Photo night. Hundreds of poses in 30 minutes
Silly trivia shows
4 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by cruisin_cutie
I cant wait to hear the Captains droning voice over the intercom talking about speed, knots, and weather in the mornings!! To me, that means IM CRUISING!!
I love that very first public announcement just before the mooring lines are thrown. "All guests please return ashore, this ship is under sailing orders" or something like that. I get excited every time
North Carolina
369 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
One of my favorite parts is actually the mini road trip to get to the cruise port. It's about 8 hours for us and it's a really enjoyable drive. My boyfriend and I talk for hours, listen to podcasts and audiobooks, and I play games on my 3DS when I'm not driving.
France
14 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Cruise ship cabin smell. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Jade 2015, 2017
RCL Navigator 2011
Windstar Windsurf 2008, 2010
Windjammer Yankee Clipper 2002
Eastern Washington State
61 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by LHARTWICK
My DH and I love to feel the ship moving, especially after an exhausting but wonderful day in port. We love to have the ship gently rock us to sleep. I told him he should come up with a way for our house to do that! We even like the rougher seas. (I know - we're weird!)
If there was little Ocean Motion I would feel deprived of the true Cruise experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAL...Eurodam, Sept 16-23, 2017 Alaska

.HAL, Westerdam, April 12, 2018 Hawaii

Carnival Legend... Alaska, Aug 2018. because other cruise line was late in booking my Cabin #..

HAL or Other line to FL via Panama Canal from Vancouver, BC or Seattle. 2019.

Alaska again 2019 and 2020.

Remove the stabilizers so we can have a natural cruise. Luv "Ocean Motion" cruises.

usn 6, uscgr 10, usnr 6 = 22 . . . . nws 33 . . . North nam Vet.

Central PA
657 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by HvySeezFcstr
If there was little Ocean Motion I would feel deprived of the true Cruise experience.
Our ship on the outbound leg took a left hook to avoid a storm at sea moving toward shore. Even with stabilizers, there was ample ocean motion to make carrying a tray of food in the Windjammer quite an experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11/2005 NCL Dawn 11-day Thanksgiving Cruise (Jamaica, Caymans, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Nassau)

Ok, tell me one more time...WHERE am I going, and WHY am I in this handbasket...?
Ireland
66 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by drfun48
I like being able to drink to excess and never being asked to drive the ship.All year long I always have to limit my partying for fear of DWI. At sea I can be rediculous. I like that twice a year.
Cheers to that .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

363 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by HvySeezFcstr
you know what they say...it ain't the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Fascination
Grand Princess
Adventure of the Seas
Norwegian Sea
Radiance of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas
Disney Dream
Norwegian Breakaway

Read a review of my Breakaway Cruise:
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...=Boards_WAR_CC

Read a review of my Radiance Cruise:
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=22993
13 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Getting dressed ready to go out for a nice meal and entertainment with my family, every single night. We normally manage it about once a month. Also not worrying about the end check or 'who's driving' Bliss