All Things EARTH... part 2

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:33 AM.
2,331 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Sally, I've been wondering about that and considering whether we should switch HS to Thursday (which is a short day) and do Epcot on our full day Friday. Or do HS Thurs, AK Fri, and Epcot Sat. It really depends on which park we want the full day for.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2016 Windstar Costa Rica & Panama Canal
2015 Emerald Princess Western Caribbean
2014 Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean
2012 Dawn Princess Australia Solar Eclipse
2011 NG Islander Galapagos & Machu Picchu
2010 Windstar Costa Rica
2009 Victoria Prince Yangtze River Solar Eclipse
2006 Clipper Odyssey Vietnam
2004 Radisson Diamond Turkey & Greek Isles Transit of Venus
2002 Radisson Hanseatic Antarctica & South Georgia
2001 Windstar Virgin Islands
1999 Sky Princess Baltic Sea Solar Eclipse
1998 Radisson Paul Gauguin Tahiti
1996 Star Princess Alaska
Colorado Springs, CO (originally Boston MA)
4,008 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Wow, take a day off the boards & everybody chats!

Margaret, I'd do full Day at Epcot, it's not as frenetic.

Anita, never seen the show, looked at the clip & agreed with everyone's comments...what were they thinking with that outfit?

Thanks for the tips on the tours in St M. I actually think we might try the Americas Cup Racing...we're there on our 48th anniversary so why not do something really unusual (& I love to sail). Les will do anything as long as it doesn't include a bus tour . Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S.S. Norway, March 17, 1995
Rest all Celebrity or Royal
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Constellation, Feb 22, 2006
Constellation, Feb 14, 2010
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Constellation, Mar 24, 2012
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Navigator of the Seas, Nov 30, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Nov 13, 2015
Celebrity Solstice, Apr 26, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Apr 23 & 30, 2017
Eclipse, November 26, 2017[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com][IMG]https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Awhfy&date=11-26-2017&text=48th anniversary in St Maarten&ship=Celebrity Eclipse[/

Les & Melody
Western Kentucky
721 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Yes, Anita, I watch So You Think You Can Dance. Although I have NO dance experience, I enjoy watching. I think the girl and Cyrus are both great dancers but understood what Nigel meant when he said she needed to be more airy. I never realized before that maybe the clothing caused them to appear too grounded? I. Think. the concept was returning from an evening out--ergo the evening attire--but the normally great costume department could have done better by both dancers to have envisioned them returning from a rock concert or a different event. Their clothing made me think of an evening at the opera. I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the room about this fashion stuff and I don't want to profile anyone, but wouldn't the blue hair have been a clue of some kind?

I record SYTYCD and watch after-the-fact, so I haven't watched the entire episode, but I like what I've seen so far. The competitors are so very talented. Even some of the kids that were sent home were really good to this uneducated spectator. I just love Fik-shun and have since he won his season. I'm still watching taped episodes of World of Dance, and so far, Fik-shun is still in that competition after the first Duel. Guess I need to finish it up before I inadvertently spoil it for myself.

Yes, tree farm here we come! Did you ever manage to take a trip to see that area?
Florida
1,977 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Margaret , AK is the largest of the parks and now with Avatar land it has a lot to do . If you have already been to Epcot I would do the full day at AK . We will be there during the food and wine festival so we are going to eat & drink our way through Epcot .Disney Studios would only be a half day with all the construction and they do not have the Osborn lights display this year .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
36 cruises -Carnival , NCL, RCL, Celebrity ,Costa
4,008 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
I found the sandals on line (black suede only) at DSW. Also found them in metallic, nutmeg & black leather at Dillard's on line. I'm going to check Dillards tomorrow to see if they're in store. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Eclipse, November 26, 2017[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com][IMG]https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Awhfy&date=11-26-2017&text=48th anniversary in St Maarten&ship=Celebrity Eclipse[/

Les & Melody
2,331 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
I went to Epcot solo! DH had a conference in Orlando over our anniversary weekend (10 or so years ago?), so I went with and we did MK and MGM (now DHS) together, and then I went to Epcot on one of his working days. I have vague memories of riding Soarin' and eating by the aquarium, hating Mission: Space, and ending the day by riding Test Track 5 or 6 times in a row (those solo lines are awesome.)

I've decided to make a list of our must-see items for each park and then see which list is longest. That will decide whether we do AK or Epcot on Friday. I think we'll stick with DHS for Thursday.

I got a cute shift dress at CHarming Charlie today, will try to get a good pick for you later. I"m off to Zumba.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,187 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Everyone here knows so much about Disney, Universal Studios, Epcot, etc. Well, at least I can say I went to Universal Studios once for three days! It was a lot of fun, but I admit I'm not a big ride person.

Margaret, when my daughter was doing her internship in Albany, there was a mall there and we went to Charming Charlie. As you can imagine, it was like heaven for me with all that jewelry and other accessories. I have been itching to go back since, but there isn't a store around here. Anyway, we picked her up a dress there and she still wears regularly. They have some cute stuff there.

I think I will mosey over to their website...

I have just over 3 weeks to my cruise! Yay, me! If I can, I would like to find a pair of casual sandals for when I'm on board. I asked if those that you have, Anita, are squishy because ever since I had that day where I stepped on my foot wrong, that Morton's Neueroma has been bothersome off and on. It's a strange sensation, like a pinching when you step down. I find that shoes and sandals that are well cushioned are the most comfortable. I can wear just about anything, and the problem isn't severe, but it is almost completely non existent when shoes fit well, and they are cushioned.

For that reason, I've gotten rid of a few pairs of work shoes I have. With my sandals, they are just due for replacement. A while back, I posted pictures of my go to sandals, and I love them. But I would like something that looks a little nicer, a go with everything casual sandal. That is why I am interested in the ones you have. I'm going to look around a bit and see what I find.

Another helpful thing is a soft fabric rather than a leather like one. That isn't a necessity, but I do like that.

SYTYCD...I agree, the minute I saw her hair with that dress, I said "this doesn't look right". It's one of those things. It was definitely a mismatch.

And I couldn't dance if my life depended on it, but I enjoy watching others dance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Explorer of the Seas - August 2008
Explorer of the Seas - August 2009
Monarch of the Seas - May 2011
Freedom of the Seas - February 2013
Majesty of the Seas - November 2013
Freedom of the Seas - May 2014
Enchantment of the Seas - November 2014
Jewel of the Seas - May 2015
Brilliance of the Seas - February 2016
Allure of the Seas - June 2016
Adventure of the Seas - September 2017
Farmington, CT USA
1,737 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by Anita Latte
The sandals are Sofft brand Mirabelle style. I bought mine at Nordstrom but they don't have the brown available online now. The style is still out there but the colors are different.
LOVE your outfit! I just ordered those sandals in the gold color from Nordstrom. Hope they work for me. Based on the reviews, I sized down a half size due to having narrow feet. I just hope the ankle straps don't bother me.
Jane
2,331 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
I'm experimenting with loading photos from Google Drive, since PB doesn't work here anymore. Let me know if you see anything in my GD that you shouldn't be! I have to hunt for a new third-party hosting site, any recce's? I liked that the photo would pop up in here, not just a link to a photo.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
2,331 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
I'll have to go old school.

The dress is burnt orange with a green and ivory vines pattern. I'm hoping it will straddle the seasons with a sweater and fall-like shoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCdress1.jpg (79.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg CCdress02.jpg (82.9 KB, 34 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
2,331 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
After reading about all the parks, and thinking hard about what we might like, here is the final order!

Thursday - Epcot, including IllumiNations, and probably lots of eating and drinking... but only after the flying rides.
Friday - Animal Kingdom - so much to do here, and an evening safari! I think this will be our fave.
Saturday - Hollywood Studios - no Star Wars show, but hey, we'll be leaving early to get to the beach I'm a bit disappointed to miss Fantasmic, but odds are high that we'll be back post-2019 when the new Star Wars part is open.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
4,008 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We're waiting till the Star Wars part opens . Margaret, cute dress, that could be worn so many different ways with sweater, blazer, boots, sandals. Melody

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015

Les & Melody
Farmington, CT USA
1,737 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by MJC
I'll have to go old school.

The dress is burnt orange with a green and ivory vines pattern. I'm hoping it will straddle the seasons with a sweater and fall-like shoes.
Love the colors and the print! Great find!
Jane
4,008 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Well, Les's highly awaited Nike bathing suit & matching SPF50 rashguard finally arrived. The bathing suit showed on line as graphite grey & neon Orange. The shirt was neon orange (size he always gets). We've been waiting for these since May. He opens the bag & just throws it to me. Oh oh. Bathing suit is grey, ok. Oh boy, the accent color is neon PINK! Seriously, pink. Ok, they're going back. Do you like the shirt? You can wear it with navy or black trunks. He takes the shirt out of the bag, now this is a neon (day glo) orange. Les says, well you won't lose me. Takes the (supposed to be large) shirt out, oh oh. Looks a bit small, can't get it over his head. Dang, back to the drawing board. I'm glad we have a couple of months. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015

Les & Melody
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,187 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Margaret, i love the dress. I've been working on what I'll call easy to wear dresses, and I think that falls into that category. I love it when you can change the dress with accessories too.

My new gold dress that I wore to the wedding is like that. I could throw on flat sandals, a scarf or nicer sandals and jewelry.

Melody, it's frustrating when what we order and what we get are different.

We had something to take back to the mall today, and we were leaving thru JCP. I ended up with a pair of crops and a shirt. Both in an earthy rust color for $33 including tax. I'll try to get a picture in a bit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,187 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
These in American brick

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/ana-skinny-....n.a.%20skinny

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,187 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
The top late much nicer than it looks.

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/ana-ribbed-...=choker%20tops

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

4,008 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Laurie. Both really good colors for you! I can see you wearing them onboard your cruise. I tried that color & it looked muddy on me, made my complexion look very sallow. Melody

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015

Les & Melody
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,187 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
It's funny, because I'm pretty sure that the top.at least is going with me.

Three weeks from now, around this time, we will be getting ready for sail away. Sail away time is pretty late in San Juan.

Now that I realize how close I am to sailing, I don't think the new dress will be back from the tailor, so I'll be sticking with the dress line up I already picked out. I brought the last of my dresses for adjusting all at once, and there were 5.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie