Can a physical disability offer an advantage when cruising?

Mamluk

Hi there,

I'm a man of 66 and is considering my very first cruise with my wife. I have mobility issues but I don't need a wheelchair. I've learnt in life that every negative can be turned into a positive with a little bit of imagination.

My question is: how can I use my disability to get a better deal, better cabin etc. whilst

staying on a tight budget?

Your knowledge and experience will be much appreciated.

Isaac

Hi there,

I'm a man of 66 and is considering my very first cruise with my wife. I have mobility issues but I don't need a wheelchair. I've learnt in life that every negative can be turned into a positive with a little bit of imagination.

My question is: how can I use my disability to get a better deal, better cabin etc. whilst

Isaac

Please tell me you are joking.

I'm not joking. When I fly I always get a priority aisle seat as close as possible to an exit at no extra cost. I was hoping I could have something similar on a cruise.

Edited by Mamluk

Wow. The only thing your disability will get you is the ability to book an accessible cabin, if they have not sold out already (usually months in advance), for the same price as a non-accessible cabin of the same category. If all accessible cabins are sold out, you will not get a break on a non-accessible cabin.

On RCCL I was able to book a very large inside handicap accessible cabin for my aunt for the same price that I paid for my inside cabin. Better cabin for the same price seems like a deal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you!

The accessible cabins are for those in wheelchairs...as you need more space for turning, transferring, etc....they may open accessible cabins for anyone to book if they aren't booked by those who NEED them.

You are not likely to get any special discounts. Actually, I am sorry that you take advantage of the airlines. There are many people who are wheelchair bound, amputees, blind, etc. that need that airline seat much more than you.

You could try booking a handicapped cabin, but it is no cheaper. Handicapped cabins are larger in order to accommodate a wheelchair. You have to prove your need for one. You can sometimes book, especially closer to sailing date, but even then it's because the cabin has not been booked by a handicapped person. You also might be lucky to get one and asked to move because you don't need it. Doesn't matter anyway as the price is the same as a standard cabin.

Suggest looking at sales, which happen all the time. Also perhaps working with a travel agent to find the cheapest cruise. Don't forget the price you get isn't your final price. Cruises are not totally all inclusive. Prices quoted often do not include port tax, insurance, gratuities, alcoholic drinks, etc.

You are not likely to get any special discounts. Actually, I am sorry that you take advantage of the airlines. There are many people who are wheelchair bound, amputees, blind, etc. that need that airline seat much more than you.

You could try booking a handicapped cabin, but it is no cheaper. Handicapped cabins are larger in order to accommodate a wheelchair. You have to prove your need for one. You can sometimes book, especially closer to sailing date, but even then it's because the cabin has not been booked by a handicapped person. You also might be lucky to get one and asked to move because you don't need it. Doesn't matter anyway as the price is the same as a standard cabin.

Suggest looking at sales, which happen all the time. Also perhaps working with a travel agent to find the cheapest cruise. Don't forget the price you get isn't your final price. Cruises are not totally all inclusive. Prices quoted often do not include port tax, insurance, gratuities, alcoholic drinks, etc.

I'm NOT taking advantage of any airline. It's with their full consent, conditional upon there not being anyone else who needs that seat more than I do. I voluntarily offer my seat to anyone who needs it more than I do.

Stop patronizing people you don't even know!

The accessible cabins are for those in wheelchairs...as you need more space for turning, transferring, etc....they may open accessible cabins for anyone to book if they aren't booked by those who NEED them.

Accessible cabins are for anyone with mobility problems not just those in wheelchairs. Others also need grab bars in shower, by toilet and sink, and shower seat.

Hi there,

Isaac

just book the cheapest cabin cat on the cruise

or wait & try to get a late booking like a week or two before sailing

I'm NOT taking advantage of any airline. It's with their full consent, conditional upon there not being anyone else who needs that seat more than I do. I voluntarily offer my seat to anyone who needs it more than I do.

Stop patronizing people you don't even know!

Read your original post - that's not what you said - you didn't mention anything other than looking for a discount/special treatment, which you asked for on airlines.

Many people are truly handicapped either in wheelchairs, artificial limbs, blind, etc. They are the people who deserve special treatment/cabins.

Having said that you can request wheelchair assistance boarding and debarkation, which is available to anyone; just by request, but you may have to wait in line. You can also request muster drill assistance such as a special location where you wouldn't have to stand.

Again, to answer your question there is no special discount for being old, "slow walker," or just general mobility issues. You will see hundreds of people using canes, walkers, crutches, wheelchairs, scooters, etc. on every cruise.

As someone who has had increasing struggles with mobility problems for many years, I can't begin to express just how appalled and disgusted I am by this. Asking for reasonable accommodations for your disability, or utilising the services offered such as wheelchair assistance at boarding is one thing. Using your disability to gain some kind of advantage is quite another.

HA cabins are in short supply. Those with severe disabilities, like the examples given by PPs, can't cruise unless they can book these. Please do the decent thing and only book one of these if you truly need the assistive devices they contain.

If you have a genuine disability, you may be able to get priority boarding...usually just behind those in suites...

I believe you need to use some kind of mobility device, in order to get that.

Thank you, Bob Brown. I'm disabled having contracted polio in my childhood. I use a cane to facilitate my walking but even with that I can't walk for too long before needing to rest.

It wouldn't even cross my mind to start this thread if I didn't have a mobility issue.

Ok, I may have given the wrong impression and chosen the wrong words when starting this thread. All I wanted to know if there was Special Assistance on cruises in the same way there are offered by airlines. I cannot stand in line for too long and I can't walk a long way to get to my cabin because of my polio. For the above reasons I have a disabled car.

I'm not there to get special favours, just some assistance to facilitate my moving about.

I apologise if you misunderstood my original intention.

Have a nice day!

You would need to have another person travelling with you to look after your needs onboard or you must be self sufficient

Embarkation day the cruise line will assist you getting onboard in a wheelchair but they will not ferry you around the ship the rest of the time

take a wheelchair or scooter of your own or rent one

the cruise lines have a company you can contact to have these delivered to the ship for a fee contact the cruise line in advance

There are many people using walkers wheelchairs etc.. on cruises

You would need to have another person travelling with you to look after your needs onboard or you must be self sufficient

Embarkation day the cruise line will assist you getting onboard in a wheelchair but they will not ferry you around the ship the rest of the time

take a wheelchair or scooter of your own or rent one

the cruise lines have a company you can contact to have these delivered to the ship for a fee contact the cruise line in advance

There are many people using walkers wheelchairs etc.. on cruises

Thank you, LHT28. I really appreciate your comment.

Ok, I may have given the wrong impression and chosen the wrong words when starting this thread. All I wanted to know if there was Special Assistance on cruises in the same way there are offered by airlines. I cannot stand in line for too long and I can't walk a long way to get to my cabin because of my polio. For the above reasons I have a disabled car.

I'm not there to get special favours, just some assistance to facilitate my moving about.

I apologise if you misunderstood my original intention.

Have a nice day!

My wife boarded using a cane once. They directed us to a special check in line and they talked her into a wheel chair assist (the ramp boarding the Pride is steep). I don't recall that we were taken onboard before anyone else. When it was time for muster we were directed to a designated area inside so she could sit down for the muster drill.