CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

If you can do 2 double beds, the Newark Penn Station Hilton has a Hilton Long Weekender rate for Oct 27-30 for $441 tax included for 3 nights. Both PATH to downtown and NJ Transit to midtown are available from Newark Penn Station, which is connected by a skywalk to the hotel. The Hilton has a free airport shuttle.

The Jersey City hotels are above your budget for those dates. Secaucus hotels in Harmon Meadow would be within your budget. You would have bus service to Port Authority Bus Terminal from there, but would have to pay for a taxi, car service or Uber to get there and back to the airport.

The problem with staying at an airport hotel is that it takes an hour+ to get into Manhattan and it costs $11.25-13/pp each way. From Newark Penn Station it costs $2.75 or $5.25/pp each way. There are also not a lot of airport hotels that offer 2 queen beds.

Thank you so much. I will take your advice and book this before it is full up. Do you know if they also have a shuttle rom the cruise port?

Thank you so much. I will take your advice and book this before it is full up. Do you know if they also have a shuttle rom the cruise port?

No Cruiseport shuttle for the Newark Penn Station Hilton. There are very few hotels and packages that offer a shuttle as an extra charge.

For a car service we recommend Dial7 and Carmellimo.

For public transit you are 1 avenue from the accessible 33rd St PATH Station. PATH to Hoboken for $2.75/pp and accessible light rail to Bayonne 34th St and call an Uber/Lyft or local taxi. Details can be provided. I did this exact trip in Jan from the La Quinta on 32nd St.

Thank you Carol for your quick response, I thought I had done a follow up post but must have forgotten to press post.

I think we might go public transport, is it easy lugging cases around stations & on/off trains? We haven't used Uber/Lyft before so a local taxi would sound more normal to me, could you please give me more details. Also if we did go down the Dial7 and Carmellimo route approx. how much would that cost.

Many thanks for all your information.

Thank you Carol for your quick response, I thought I had done a follow up post but must have forgotten to press post.

I think we might go public transport, is it easy lugging cases around stations & on/off trains? We haven't used Uber/Lyft before so a local taxi would sound more normal to me, could you please give me more details. Also if we did go down the Dial7 and Carmellimo route approx. how much would that cost.

Many thanks for all your information.

You can get a quote from Dial7 and Carmellimo. They quote a base rate and you have to add tolls (most likely $15-17) plus an expected 18-20% on the base rate. My guess is the $120 range.

You can check out what PATH looks like when you get to NYC. The accessible entrance is on the west side of 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd Sts. You press the button and the elevator comes to take you down to the concourse level. The ticket machines are right there. You take the train to Hoboken. In Hoboken you take the elevator up to the street. Go left into the train area and keep walking past all the commuter trains to the light rail area. Stop and enjoy the view of Manhattan. Buy light rail tickets and take the Bayonne light rail train to 34th St Bayonne. Call a cab.

The access to both PATH and the light rail is a level access with rolling luggage. Outbound to Hoboken and Bayonne is uncrowded after 9 am and you will get seats. You will probably have to wait for a taxi pickup at the 34th St Station.

There are plenty of YouTubes about PATH and the Hudson Bergen Light rail.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

You can get a quote from Dial7 and Carmellimo. They quote a base rate and you have to add tolls (most likely $15-17) plus an expected 18-20% on the base rate. My guess is the $120 range.

You can check out what PATH looks like when you get to NYC. The accessible entrance is on the west side of 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd Sts. You press the button and the elevator comes to take you down to the concourse level. The ticket machines are right there. You take the train to Hoboken. In Hoboken you take the elevator up to the street. Go left into the train area and keep walking past all the commuter trains to the light rail area. Stop and enjoy the view of Manhattan. Buy light rail tickets and take the Bayonne light rail train to 34th St Bayonne. Call a cab.

The access to both PATH and the light rail is a level access with rolling luggage. Outbound to Hoboken and Bayonne is uncrowded after 9 am and you will get seats. You will probably have to wait for a taxi pickup at the 34th St Station.

There are plenty of YouTubes about PATH and the Hudson Bergen Light rail.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Thank you again Carol for all the concise information, I will check out youtube, I think it all sounds reasonable easy & stress free,

Many thanks.

Could you provide the exact dates you are staying precruise at Embassy Suites? Which ship are you sailing on? Are you parking at the pier or at Embassy Suites for the duration of the cruise? If you're parking at a Embassy Suites, are you using their shuttle to get to Cape Liberty? Do you have a cancellable reservation at a Embassy Suites?

We (Piper28 and I) are at the Embassy Suites tonight, tomorrow, and Wed. Trying to figure out how to best get into the city tomorrow and Wed. Leaving Thurs on the Anthem. We have a car, but don't want to drive it into the city.

We (Piper28 and I) are at the Embassy Suites tonight, tomorrow, and Wed. Trying to figure out how to best get into the city tomorrow and Wed. Leaving Thurs on the Anthem. We have a car, but don't want to drive it into the city.

What do you want to see in Manhattan?

You didn't post back!

There is bus service from Jersey Gardens Mall to Manhattan. NJ Transit bus 115 or 111 for $7, but it doesn't run very often. The NJ Transit web site has the schedules. The NJ Transit train runs more often. Hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, Airtrain to the Newark Airport train station, and NJ Transit to NY Penn Station for midtown and NJ Transit to Newark Penn Station for PATH to World Trade Center for downtown Manhattan. Cost is $11.25-$13/pp each way. It will cost you more to drive into the city between the tolls and parking.

Carol - what are your thoughts on car service (Carmel or dial7), Supershuttle or Carnival transfer? There are 2 of us into Lga and leaving from JFK. Manhattan pier on horizon.

Thanks in advance!

Supershuttle is not generally recommended in NY. Car Service, taxi and Carnival transfers are fine to go to JFK.

Post your exact dates and flight arrival/departure times so the New Yorkers can give you more specific advice.

7/11 - lga arriving around 9:15 then to Carnival port on 12th Avenue.

7/19 - cruise port to jfk - I figure around 9:00 we should be off ship.

So what exact dates do you arrive and leave? What time is your flight from JFK? What is the cost of a Carnival transfer for each airport?

Going on Anthem 5/2019. Its been awhile since I've cruised and we are driving there from Long Island. I can get there fine but what is the parking like nowadays? I see a parking garage close to the terminal on google maps? Can we walk to the terminal with our luggage from there?

Going on Anthem 5/2019. Its been awhile since I've cruised and we are driving there from Long Island. I can get there fine but what is the parking like nowadays? I see a parking garage close to the terminal on google maps? Can we walk to the terminal with our luggage from there?

A lot of folks do walk from the garage to the terminal with luggage, but many folks drop off one person and luggage before parking in the garage. You have to drive past the drop off to get to the garage.

A lot of folks do walk from the garage to the terminal with luggage, but many folks drop off one person and luggage before parking in the garage. You have to drive past the drop off to get to the garage.

Good to know. I guess things have changed since 2011 lol. It is just me and my boyfriend and our bags (Or my 3 bags and his 1 bag lol) so I don't mind walking little ways. Something about pulling in to those parking spots and backing out and parking the car makes me nervous. Accident waiting to happen. We will walk with our bags lol I'll be reading all of your advice between now and next May. I would like to arrive there at 9:30, 10am even if we have to wait a little bit. I'd rather wait in the cruise terminal than on the Belt Parkway. :mad: lol.

Good to know. I guess things have changed since 2011 lol. It is just me and my boyfriend and our bags (Or my 3 bags and his 1 bag lol) so I don't mind walking little ways. Something about pulling in to those parking spots and backing out and parking the car makes me nervous. Accident waiting to happen. We will walk with our bags lol I'll be reading all of your advice between now and next May. I would like to arrive there at 9:30, 10am even if we have to wait a little bit. I'd rather wait in the cruise terminal than on the Belt Parkway. :mad: lol.

If you go to the drop off area, the porter will come right up to you with the cart to your car. Maybe play it by ear when you get there.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it using the search function. Wanted to verify that I need to pay with a credit card for parking at the port. TIA! You are all so helpful.

You must take your parking ticket with you on the cruise so you have it to pay at the machines on the ground level to get a ticket to be able to exit the garage. The machines take cash or credit card, but cash only up to $50 bills.

Could also take the PATH to NJ and Uber from there if traveling light and on a budget.

The poster whose question Carol was answering is going from one place in NJ, Cape Liberty, to another place in NJ, the Penn Station Hilton. PATH won't do them any good.