Crowd level at Boston's Faneuil Hall Marketplace on 4th of July

happymom52003

We are in Boston on the Fourth of July, and our day long tour includes some free time for lunch and shopping at Faneuil Marketplace. I'm wondering what to expect as far as crowd levels while trying to get lunch since it is a huge holiday....we'd rather do a sit down restaurant vs. a food kiosk/food court, but will be be spending most of our time waiting for a table?

We are in Boston on the Fourth of July, and our day long tour includes some free time for lunch and shopping at Faneuil Marketplace. I'm wondering what to expect as far as crowd levels while trying to get lunch since it is a huge holiday....we'd rather do a sit down restaurant vs. a food kiosk/food court, but will be be spending most of our time waiting for a table?

Faneuil Hall will be pretty mobbed on July 4th. We'll be in town as well on the Queen Mary 2.

My advice if you want to have a nice lunch is to head over to the North End which is about a five-minute walk from Faneuil Hall.

There are many great reasonably priced Italian restaurants here and some terrific pastry shops particularly Modern Pastry at 257 Hanover Street, home of the best cannolis in town.

20170925_152743_zpsuwgeewrk.jpg

Jonathan

Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are always crowded, but many area people, in addition to tourists, will be in town for Harborfest, so it will be crowded. Quincy Market is mostly counters with food to take and carry to a common seating area, but there are lots of nice sit down restaurants around. Hitting the North End is a great suggestion, but there is also the local’s favorite, The No-Name Restaurant closer to the cruise port and has the freshest seafood, just caught! There will be plenty of options, and lots of people love Eatly at the Pru, just a short T ride from Park Street Station, which is very close to Faneuil Hall. If you are at Park Street, take a ride on the Swan Boats in Boston Public Garden, and if you do go to Eatly at the Pru, go in the Boston Public Library in Copely Square to see the John Singer Sargent murals (free) and the Maparium to walk through the stained glass globe at the Christian Science Church (cost is not prohibitive). Breathtaking!

We were at the Marketplace last year on July 4. I dislike crowds, but can't say I felt it was VERY crowded there. We had no problem finding a table at lunchtime. Walking around the Market area was not a problem. Plenty of street entertainers. Fun.

We're on the same cruise this year. Enjoy.