Question for MKING8288

NayRN

Hello!

You seem to have a vast knowledge of everything NYC so I’m directing a couple questions to you....😎

We (my sister and her two grandkids 9,12) will be flying into LGA on 4/7/19 and sailing on the Getaway on 4/9/19.

What would you recommend for transfer from LGA to our hotel (Holiday Inn Express Manhattan West). I’ve read reviews on multiple modes of transportation....Uber, Yellow Cab, Dial 7,etc. but I want to make this a smooth process because of the kids (does this make sense?). Same thing for returning from the ship to LGA.

And the MOST important question from the kids....best pizza near the hotel! (We chose this hotel for its walkability to Times Square, the Intrepid and other touristy spots that the kids wanted to visit plus).

Thanks so much....I appreciate your advice!

Hi, I am just among the dozen regulars around here, LOL. But, thanks & I don't always get to keep up with everything. We all tried hard together to help.

OK, fly into LGA on a Sunday (approximately what time, airline & how much luggage) ... with the major airport construction onging thru 2020+, hard to pinpoint but could be taxi (available at all terminals, lines do move) and/or car service (flat rate, no surprises with running metered fare ... traffic usually move across town on weekend, but ... and, get a minivan to haul all those 25" plus spinners, LOL - no problem) And, it's not Easter yet.

From hotel, taxi and probably Uber/Lyft (there's a minimum flat rate & an XL would start out higher as your base rate) for the very short ride, no tolls - to MCT for the Getaway (hey, we haven't cruise that ship on the NCL fleet yet ... maybe, we could bump into each other on the same sailing, often booking late/last minute).

Give "us" a little more details to review the "if's" and optons. Thanks.

Sent via Moto G(6) on Project Fi/T-Mobile using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

We haven’t booked airfare yet but we usually fly Delta. I’m trying to coordinate landing times as my sister is flying in from PBI and we’re coming in from DTW. We will have about an hour to kill at baggage claim (which will kill me but the kids will enjoy). With what I’ve researched, we will be landing about 2pm and sis will be be there about 3:15.

I’m thinking about a Towne car but if you think a taxi would work on a Sunday and there are no surprise fees, that just may be the way to go!

Now, about the pizza! 🤣

Now, about the pizza! 🤣

Especially with the kids, John's of Times Square, 44th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue. The venue is a converted church. You'll find arguments on pizza; I really like their pizza, and venue is different.

Especially with the kids, John's of Times Square, 44th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue. The venue is a converted church. You'll find arguments on pizza; I really like their pizza, and venue is different.

I’ve heard it’s good there! Thanks!!

No such thing as bad pizza in NY. Johns Pizza is great but there are also a bunch of Mom & Pop pizza places on 9th and 10th Ave. These places sell the pizza by the slice. If one kid wants buffalo chicken pizza and the other wants pepperoni Sicilian. No problem. And Mom can order what she wants too. These places may not be fancy but the pizza is good and cost reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No such thing as bad pizza in NY. Johns Pizza is great but there are also a bunch of Mom & Pop pizza places on 9th and 10th Ave. These places sell the pizza by the slice. If one kid wants buffalo chicken pizza and the other wants pepperoni Sicilian. No problem. And Mom can order what she wants too. These places may not be fancy but the pizza is good and cost reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oooohhh! I like this idea!

Thanks!! 🍕

There you go, plenty of tips about pizza from everyone ... I can tell you about some of the best mom-n-pop ones locally in my neighborhood out in Queens, but too far from LGA for a detour.

Delta flights out of Terminal C will most likely be what you will doing in about 10 months, constructions reported to be on-time/schedule thus far ... check the official websites about a month or two before your cruise to check for updates & changes, along with any "updates" on the LGA sticky here (but, it get "buried" & fade away quickly with all the individualized questions easily).

If both DL flights are on time, an hour to hangout at the "C" terminal isn't all that bad, use the restroom, get a quick (over-priced) snack to bite with beverage, and, it's less hectic than "B" ... often refer to as the central/main terminal serving more airlines.

2 adults, 1 child & 1 teen with reasonable luggage should fit into a regular taxi and there are a good # of taxi-van, including those newest Nissan NV200 ... should fit 3 x 25" rollerboard or spinners plus cabin/smaller bags, a 4th. checked bag might be tight but still doable. If not, the taxi dispatcher on duty will help find a bigger taxi for you at the "stand" right outside the arrival roadway.

With Uber/car services, the downside is you might ("unknown" now) need to take a free shuttle with luggage to "B" or to a remote/satellite pickup area to transfer to the car service ... fare savings might be no more than $10 to $15, shared by 4 - not really worth the hassle & trouble.

With a yellow taxi, the Sunday ride to Times Square should not cost much more, tell the driver to take the RFK (formerly Trioborough) Bridge & you will be paying a $5.74 (current EZ-Pass discounted rate) toll charge as add-on to the base fare, for a quicker ride ... vs. sittting in heavy afternoon traffic to use the toll-less 59th Street/Ed Koch Bridge crossing thru city streets in LIC.

If you will flying home post-cruise out of LGA, just make sure to not book an early flight, allow extra time for disembarkation & to get to the airport ...

Of course, check with those on the CC Roll Call as they will often be on the lookout for everyone, like parades and walkathon, etc. - lots of NCL cruisers doing these runs out of NYC are local cruise "addicts".

There you go, plenty of tips about pizza from everyone ... I can tell you about some of the best mom-n-pop ones locally in my neighborhood out in Queens, but too far from LGA for a detour.

Delta flights out of Terminal C will most likely be what you will doing in about 10 months, constructions reported to be on-time/schedule thus far ... check the official websites about a month or two before your cruise to check for updates & changes, along with any "updates" on the LGA sticky here (but, it get "buried" & fade away quickly with all the individualized questions easily).

If both DL flights are on time, an hour to hangout at the "C" terminal isn't all that bad, use the restroom, get a quick (over-priced) snack to bite with beverage, and, it's less hectic than "B" ... often refer to as the central/main terminal serving more airlines.

2 adults, 1 child & 1 teen with reasonable luggage should fit into a regular taxi and there are a good # of taxi-van, including those newest Nissan NV200 ... should fit 3 x 25" rollerboard or spinners plus cabin/smaller bags, a 4th. checked bag might be tight but still doable. If not, the taxi dispatcher on duty will help find a bigger taxi for you at the "stand" right outside the arrival roadway.

With Uber/car services, the downside is you might ("unknown" now) need to take a free shuttle with luggage to "B" or to a remote/satellite pickup area to transfer to the car service ... fare savings might be no more than $10 to $15, shared by 4 - not really worth the hassle & trouble.

With a yellow taxi, the Sunday ride to Times Square should not cost much more, tell the driver to take the RFK (formerly Trioborough) Bridge & you will be paying a $5.74 (current EZ-Pass discounted rate) toll charge as add-on to the base fare, for a quicker ride ... vs. sittting in heavy afternoon traffic to use the toll-less 59th Street/Ed Koch Bridge crossing thru city streets in LIC.

If you will flying home post-cruise out of LGA, just make sure to not book an early flight, allow extra time for disembarkation & to get to the airport ...

Of course, check with those on the CC Roll Call as they will often be on the lookout for everyone, like parades and walkathon, etc. - lots of NCL cruisers doing these runs out of NYC are local cruise "addicts".

YOU are the bomb-diggity! I am definitely leaning more toward the yellow cab and will print out your instructions so that I have them with me. As to the flight home, I haven’t decided if I want to catch the late afternoon flight or just stay one more night and catch an early morning flight home.

Thanks so much to you.....and everyone else who has shared their knowledge!!