Jellyfish in the Caribbean?

LMPego

I see that a lot of people ask about sharks, but I'm terrified of jellyfish (get bit just once...)

Are there jellyfish in the Caribbean? Has anyone ever heard of someone getting stung on a snorkel excursion?

Actually, jellyfish don't bite, they sting, and you are not their target. Jellyfish are very delicate creatures, and their venom is intended to prevent damage by instantly stopping their prey from moving.

It's possible to get stung anywhere, anytime. More species of jellies are found on the surface in the summer, but it's usually no big deal. A little stinging and rash, and that's usually about it. Worry about sunburn, not jellyfish.

Here's a thread with information about jellyfish stings, how to prevent them, and some treatments if you get stung. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=141630

If you do a search on this board, you will find many other threads that discuss the topic.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

There are jellyfish in the Caribbean, and every cruise we have been an announcement has been made before go ashore regarding where the jellyfish (if there's in "infestation") are. They tend to stay in groups in certain areas.

And to say that jellyfish sting is nothing to worry about is not exactly true. If one is allergic to bee/wasp/etc. stings, then you may have a very bad reaction to the jellyfish sting - take it from someone who knows firsthand:( . I carry an epi pen with me at all times. Better safe than sorry!

• 2 weeks later...
I was stung in Florida once and it was an experience I never wish to repeat.
Ditto, except it happened in the Puget Sound right across the upper lip. Aldolphs meat tenderizer is supposed to help with the sting. Wearing a full wetsuit will definitely help to minimize the chance of being stung.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Jamaica, in October at Sunset Beach Resort (day pass to use facilities). There were jellyfish everywhere, hundreds of them. The staff told us there are certain times of year they have more jellyfish, and we hit the wrong time.

We put our lounge chairs in shallow water, and when we wanted to swim, we got in the pool.

I have seen a single jellyfish when snorkeling at Cozumel, and I have been there in April, September, and October.

Happy cruising,

Suzy

You bet your butt they're out there! Hence my log-in name, I had a run in with a jellyfish at Reduit Beach in St. Lucia. My wife and I and another couple we're wading out about neck-deep and all of a sudden it felt like my arm was on fire! A detached free-floating jellyfish tentacle wrapped around my arm and stung the living snot out of me. I tried everything from lemon juice to salt to vinegar to rum (both internally & externaly), and nothing really helped, it just had to run it's course. I timed it, and it took 72 hours before the sting mellowed out, it even prevented me from sleeping the first night.

The good news is, we've been to 16 different ports/countries in the Caribbean, and have snorkelled in most of them, and this was our only run in with a jellyfish. We even snorkelled in Costa Maya during Thimble Jellyfish & Pica Pica season, and never saw a single one.

Is a jellyfish sting dangerous? My brother's friend got stung while diving in the Sea of Cortez, and went into convulsions then into a coma. A jellyfish sting works on your neuro-system, and they can do some serious damage. Ask the locals before swimming in unsure waters.

-Jellyfish

dont let that last post scare you. yes, there are jellyfish. most are very small (around a quarter in size). some are like strings making them hard to see. they basically just float along, so if you see one or some, just swim around them. the stings feel like sweat bee stings - if you tend to get large welts or are allergic to bee stings, you will probably find a similar reaction to jellyfish. i just completed my rescue diver course and i can tell you that the best thing to bring with you (allergic or not) is a small bottle (empty prescription bottle is great) filled with a mixture of baking soda and toothpaste (like colgate). mix it into a thick paste and stick it in your beach bag. vinegar works, meat tenderizer works - but this works instantly and works better.

Happy snorkeling!!!

This might be hard to believe, but I have seen more jellies in the north atlantic, primarily the beaches at Rockaway & Belle Harbor. There have been times when you cant even go in at all due to the tremendous amounts of Lion Mane Jellies whose tentacles extend about 10 ft & moon jellies. Even when they are gone, their severed tentacles are still in the water and can still sting. The lifeguards usually have stuff for the stings. Ive also experienced extreme itching. That could be from another entity? The gulf stream is nearby and attributes alot to this.

In all my 40 years of snorkeling the carribean, Ive seen jellies, but have been fortunate enough to never get stung. I seem to be able to swim away from them. This is not the case where I live NYC. It seems like the entire ocean is filled with the jellies and makes it impossible to go in the water at all. The Carribean is wonderful! Enjoy!

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of a Jellyfish that is found mainly in the austrailian waters but can also be found in Gulf of Mexico and other waters too. It's name is Irukandji, and it is a tiny, near-invisible box jellyfish blamed for killing 2 foreign tourists in tropical north Australia. Since it is almost invisible many people who have been stung by this jelly may not even realize it. I heard about this jellyfish on the National Geographic Channel. I don't mean to scare anyone but just wanted to know if anyone has heard of this jelly.[/COLOR] Here is what I read or you can go to: http://praise.manoa.hawaii.edu/news/eh201.html

A tourist, aged 44, died in April 2002 when a sting received while diving on the Great Barrier Reef brought on a rapid rise in his heart rate and blood pressure, leading to a cerebral hemorrhage. A second tourist, 58, from Yorkshire, died in January 2002 after being stung swimming off Queensland's Hamilton Island. The sting aggravated an existing heart condition and no extra tests were conducted.

Authorities suspect the deaths were not the first fatalities from Irukandji stings in Australia, just the first recorded, as symptoms after a sting resemble decompression, a stroke or other conditions that may be listed as the cause of death. "There is no doubt others have died from stings but people weren't in the know until now," Dr. Peter Fenner, co- founder of the International Consortium of Jellyfish Stings.

The deadly Irukandji jellyfish is found in north Australian waters during the jellyfish season from October to May. I don't think they have ever been located anywhere else, especially the Gulf area. IIRC they are a relative to the box jellies.

are the other name for Irukandji, and present thought is that they do belong to the cubozoans or 'box jellies,' although to the lesser known group.

At this time very little is known about their habits, but Irukandji are getting famous from an hour-long program being shown about their researchers. Prominently featured in the show was a segment when the two folks ended up in the hospital in agony.

Earlier, I wasn't trying to say that jellyfish can't make you miserable, but a bit of sting and rash compared to a box jelly hit or Irukandji syndrome is nothing.

I've been stung by a wide assortment of critters in salt water all the way from Bryozoans that live on seagrass blades (slightly itchy) up through moon jellies on the back of my neck (ow, darn it), to sea nettles (&^%#!!!) to a Man-of-War across the lower thigh (walked on the water getting out while screaming things not usually associated with the walking on water part).

Many times after diving over reefs in late summer or fall, we'll come back with a little bit of the itchies when only wearing a skinsuit. Of course, no Florida diver would be complete without one good fire coral hit.

There is always the possibility of somone having an allergic reaction to the jellyfish venom. If you are sensitive to other types of venoms (ant, bee, wasp, etc.) please take EXTRA care to avoid encounters.

A few $ spent on a lycra skin or very thin wetsuit can save a lot of problems later, from both jellies and sunburn. I've only seen one person with a jellyfish problem on a cruise (a few sea lice around the neck), and HUNDREDS with horrible sunburns.

Have a great time wherever you get in the water!

Wendy

• 2 years later...
are the other name for Irukandji, and present thought is that they do belong to the cubozoans or 'box jellies,' although to the lesser known group.

At this time very little is known about their habits, but Irukandji are getting famous from an hour-long program being shown about their researchers. Prominently featured in the show was a segment when the two folks ended up in the hospital in agony.

Earlier, I wasn't trying to say that jellyfish can't make you miserable, but a bit of sting and rash compared to a box jelly hit or Irukandji syndrome is nothing.

I've been stung by a wide assortment of critters in salt water all the way from Bryozoans that live on seagrass blades (slightly itchy) up through moon jellies on the back of my neck (ow, darn it), to sea nettles (&^%#!!!) to a Man-of-War across the lower thigh (walked on the water getting out while screaming things not usually associated with the walking on water part).

Many times after diving over reefs in late summer or fall, we'll come back with a little bit of the itchies when only wearing a skinsuit. Of course, no Florida diver would be complete without one good fire coral hit.

There is always the possibility of somone having an allergic reaction to the jellyfish venom. If you are sensitive to other types of venoms (ant, bee, wasp, etc.) please take EXTRA care to avoid encounters.

A few $ spent on a lycra skin or very thin wetsuit can save a lot of problems later, from both jellies and sunburn. I've only seen one person with a jellyfish problem on a cruise (a few sea lice around the neck), and HUNDREDS with horrible sunburns.

Have a great time wherever you get in the water!

Wendy

OMG fire coral!!! I think that has been the worst for me. I was at buck island reef off the coast of St Croix. The reef was just below the surface and could be difficult to navigate.. The chop and current just slammed my leg against the fire coral. I am sooo careful not to touch any coral with my fins or body. They are alive and thats how they can die. This was over 25 years ago and Ill never forget it. I am alot more educated now when I snorkel/dive. I just dont put myself in a position where the current and chop can get the best of me. At least I try my best.

So far the jellyfish at Rockaway, NY have not invaded the water..YET. This time last year we had a very bad infestation of lion mane jellies. No one could enter the water. So far, so good for this summer.

Wetsuits do help alot

I cannot personally vouch for this product, but I do own some, and have worn it. It is called "Safe Sea Sun Block with Jelly Fish Protection". I did a lot of research on this before I purchased it, and a lot of people say it works. It was a little greasy for my taste, but I pack it just in case. I would hate to miss on opportunity to be in the water out of a fear of jelly fish:D

Hi,

Sorry, but I find concentrating on the "evils" of jellyfish is like talking about people having accidents using their mobile phones, not mentioning the sandwich in their hand, the cup of coffee in their lap, puffing on a cigarette between bites while talking it up with their passenger with a baby crying in the back seat. Yes there are jellyfish in the ocean. Yes, I've had my fair share of stings snorkeling and scuba diving, but there are sea lice, baracuda, sharks, fire coral, currents, bad boat operators that leave people in the ocean and a whole mirade of other things that can go wrong. Of course the likelihood of any of these occuring are minimal, including jellyfish stings. The best prevention is being comfortable in the water enjoying the fish and reefs but having a good "situational awareness". Jellyfish aren't fast swimmers and they're not out to get you. If you see something translucent and you're not sure what it is (I've picked up a lot of plastic bags off reefs), swim away at a distance and give it a good look or ask someone. Every year millions of people enjoy the beach and water with nary a problem of attack jellyfish. LMPego I hope you have a great time in the water.

Randall

We snorkeled in St Lucia this past May and a couple of us did get hit a few times by jellyfish. When swimming around every now and then felt something like a mostique bite and could not figure it out right away till was coming back to sure and saw this. But rub some sand on it and some lotion and did not bother me anymore. One lady had some marks were it sort of lashed around her ankle but she also put lotion on and it was ok.

5380_1033911867475_1815794614_75813_345931_n.jpg

The Ump

• 6 months later...

I hadn't really thought about jellyfish in my planning until now. I will have to look at some remedies. I am allergic to wasp stings but never been stung by a jelly.

My son, however, got stung by 7 or 8 Portugese man o wars in Panama City Beach FL when he was 6 or 7 and he suffered no lasting side effects. Did itch for several hours though.

I see that a lot of people ask about sharks, but I'm terrified of jellyfish (get bit just once...)

Are there jellyfish in the Caribbean? Has anyone ever heard of someone getting stung on a snorkel excursion?

Just back from Dream trip to Western Caribbean. One in our group had a horrible reaction to jellyfish sting. I don't know which beach stop had jellyfish.

In any event - the venom caused her blood to form clots in her arm which became quite swollen and turned purple. On board, her arm was put in a sling. Once home, she had husband drive her to hospital - "do not pass go - do not go home first". She spent several days there. She is home now, but off work for a while - (she is a nurse).

So - yes - the jellies are out there. While generally not as dangerous as those of Northern Australia fame, they can be variously dangerous depending upon YOUR sensitivity.:eek::eek::eek:

Just back from Dream trip to Western Caribbean. One in our group had a horrible reaction to jellyfish sting. I don't know which beach stop had jellyfish.

They all had jellyfish. The person in your group was just unfortunate enough to be stung at one of the stops. I hope they're ok. But the ocean doesn't have natural gates and just as squirrels sometimes attack people in parks, jellyfish do occasionally sting. But they're not evil, it's just a natural defensive reaction. They don't come after you. There is some creams you can apply which provide some protection (you can goggle to find them) but getting a "thin skin" one-piece dive suit will provide the most protection (they're lycra based and extremely comfortable in the water).

Randall

They all had jellyfish. The person in your group was just unfortunate enough to be stung at one of the stops. I hope they're ok. But the ocean doesn't have natural gates and just as squirrels sometimes attack people in parks, jellyfish do occasionally sting. But they're not evil, it's just a natural defensive reaction. They don't come after you. There is some creams you can apply which provide some protection (you can goggle to find them) but getting a "thin skin" one-piece dive suit will provide the most protection (they're lycra based and extremely comfortable in the water).

Randall

Thanks, Randall. While you are singing to the choir here (marine bio instructor and former scuba diver) the OP should benefit. I was only trying to provide some info about what was happening recently. In class we have even watched the nematocysts discharge under the microscope - amazing stuff, that.

I LOVE Cozumel and have seen walls of jellyfish when I snorkeled there in November. They did not have tentacles and I was told this type does not sting people. You could see the 4 distinct parts of it and each part had a faint blue ring inside. Very cool to look at and they come and go with the currents.