Old Old Ship Princess Louise

This question may not even be able to be answered. My grandparents were on this ship in 1919 or 1920. It took them to Juneau Alaska. I know that she was in California for a long time and used as a restaurant in the San Pedro harbor. My brother was married on her. He is a traditionalist and chose to do this in Hommage to our grandparents. I know she sank in the channel off L.A. I would love to find all the history that I can about her. Can anyone show me the right direction to go? I am trying to put together family history. This would be a great addition. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kate,

I have a momento of the Princess Louise that you may be interested in. Back in 1990 I met a man thru my tourism job who was the one hired to turn the Princess Louise from a cruise ship into a restaurant. Before he finished, he asked the owners if he could have a souvenier. He was given the emergency procedure card that was posted in each guest room. He wanted to do something nice for all those who had wonderful memories of sailing on her.......so he had the card professionally copied! He sent these cards to me as no one seemed to be interested. I have also kept the letter he wrote with a little history. If you or anyone is interested, please feel free to let me know and I will get them to you. I live in Sidney, BC on Vancouver Island. I am new to this system so how do I get in contact with you?

I am not at a computer again til Sunday, Nov 19th so please feel free to leave a message and I'll get back to you.

Sincerely,

"Princess Louise"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:)

I have a 1959 book that shows a picture of her and being built in North Vancouver at Wallace Shipyards in 1921.

At that time she was the only ship in the Alaska cruise service of the CPR. She was also P.L. II as there was one also back in the 1800's.

I also have a note on the picture that she capsized as a restaurant in 1989.

• 3 years later...

Princess Louise,

Hello,

I don't know if you are still out there. It has been almost four years. But I read today about the info you had about the SS Princess Louise, especially the memento from the fellow who turned the cruise ship into a restaurant. I can be reached at taxpertcpa@aol.com.

I am copying the message you sent due to the length of time since you sent it:

I have a momento of the Princess Louise that you may be interested in. Back in 1990 I met a man thru my tourism job who was the one hired to turn the Princess Louise from a cruise ship into a restaurant. Before he finished, he asked the owners if he could have a souvenier. He was given the emergency procedure card that was posted in each guest room. He wanted to do something nice for all those who had wonderful memories of sailing on her.......so he had the card professionally copied! He sent these cards to me as no one seemed to be interested. I have also kept the letter he wrote with a little history. If you or anyone is interested, please feel free to let me know and I will get them to you. I live in Sidney, BC on Vancouver Island. I am new to this system so how do I get in contact with you?

I am not at a computer again til Sunday, Nov 19th so please feel free to leave a message and I'll get back to you.

Sincerely,

"Princess Louise"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I just came across this website and read your post from 2006. Why it jumped out at me was because my grandfather was a bellboy aboard the Princess Louise and his Uncle was the skipper of her during the trips to Alaska. If you are still looking for some history please let me know as I have history notes and photos you may be interested in.

• 1 month later...

I live in Los Angeles, and went to the Princess Louise restaurant many times when it was docked in San Pedro. My grandmother, who emmigrated from Canada in 1926, told me that it was the same ship she came down from BC on. There use to be a large parrot hanging in a wrought iron cage on board at the restaurant, and according to my grandmother, she believed it was the same parrot that had always been there, she said the parrot had been taught some very "salty" language!!! Does anyone know if that's true? I do believe it's possible, as large birds can live over 90 years, and at the time it would have been, perhaps about 70 years old.

Also, if someone has old photos, etc., from the SS Princess Louise from the 1920's, when she sailed the West Coast from Canada, please let me know!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...