Explorer Trans-Atlantic Suite location forward - pool deck noise?

JMARINER

Two Question about Explorer Suites.

1. How is the ride in the forward of the ship, like anything forward of the elevators? Looking at for spring Trans Atlantic Crossing.

2. How about on Deck 10 midships under the pool. Any noise issues from above scrapping chairs/tables, etc.

I have looked at the "Suite guide" but not enough reports for me to make a decision.

Thanks,

J

I can only guess. We were under the Observation Lounge on Explorer and would not stay there again. To be fair, when we did our four Explorer cruises, the ship was awaiting additional insulation that was going to be

installed in Miami.

As of March 2017, the Explorer was not particularly sound proof but was better than suites on the Navigator. We would not book a cruise under the pool deck on any Regent ship (except maybe Mariner which, IMO, is the most sound proofed ship of the fleet).

With all due respect TC, if you are thinking about your time in Suite 1200 you were over the Observation Lounge and not under it.

You are correct - I mis-remembered. Nevertheless, the noise was so loud I may have well be in the Observation Lounge trying to sleep. I could clearly hear John when he was doing Trivia in the afternoon.

Also, the front of the ship does not ride as smoothy as the Mariner. I suppose that no ship rides well that far forward. On our Spring 2017 Explorer crossing we were as far aft as you can go - I think on deck 9 and it was fine.

You are correct - I mis-remembered. Nevertheless, the noise was so loud I may have well be in the Observation Lounge trying to sleep. I could clearly hear John when he was doing Trivia in the afternoon.

Also, the front of the ship does not ride as smoothy as the Mariner. I suppose that no ship rides well that far forward. On our Spring 2017 Explorer crossing we were as far aft as you can go - I think on deck 9 and it was fine.

TC - I just returned from the Explorer and was in room 1201, zero noise to report from Observation. A bit of noise from above, when they'd adjust furniture in the Regent Suite around 9am each day. But nothing else. We did encounter some rough water coming out of Miami the first day at sea, the cabin and boat handled it well. Of course being in the middle of the boat would of been better in the rougher seas, but the view from the grand suite more than makes up for it!

TC - I just returned from the Explorer and was in room 1201, zero noise to report from Observation. A bit of noise from above, when they'd adjust furniture in the Regent Suite around 9am each day. But nothing else. We did encounter some rough water coming out of Miami the first day at sea, the cabin and boat handled it well. Of course being in the middle of the boat would of been better in the rougher seas, but the view from the grand suite more than makes up for it!

Thanks for the update - that is good information to know! We were in 1200 for a crossing - rough waters and we really felt it. Agree about the view - when we return to Explorer next February, we once again for a forward suite (but not under the Observation Lounge).

Greetings from South Beach, JMARINER. We sailed Explorer's Spring 2017 TA from Miami to Barcelona in PHA 1006. No noise or any other problem. In fact, we wanted the same suite for our December 2017 Caribbean cruise on Explorer. Oops! Too late. PHAs were only available on deck 14, so we booked on board PHB 858. Since it was perfectly comfortable, we booked it, again on board, for Exporer's Spring 2019 TA, Miami/Lisbon. We usually book on board if we are happy with the vessel and its upcoming schedule. It doesn't hurt to know how the ship sails, either. Enjoy wherever you end up.

Mary

We did the Transatlantic crossing November-December 2017. We had an Explorer suite 918. It's midship, suites above, below and next door. It was perfect. Despite some rough seas for several days, we had no problems at all.

Loved the room and comfort with 1 1/2 baths. It was spacious and beautiful.

Sheila and Herb

Wondering if this thread helped the TS at all. The Explorer is known for being noisy - having air noise from the sliding glass doors, etc. While she is still our favorite ship, the TS should know that the possibility of noise exists in many suites. And, not everyone loves the Grand Suite. One poster, Caroldoll, had to cancel parties in her suite (also aft) because the space was so small. We had three couples in our Grand Suite (forward) and it was a challenge to seat everyone. Just mentioning this because of some Grand Suite comments. The TS is interested in the Explorer Suites.

If there is no noise from the pool deck, that is great but wouldn't it depend upon the weather during your cruise? On our two transatlantic cruises, there were few people on the pool deck due to weather (except in the Bermuda and Miami areas).

Explorer Suites used to be Seven Seas Suites and when we toured the ship during the christening cruise, these were our favorite suites. If it were me/us, we would choose a suite that was not under the pool. deck. I would rather know that there will not be noise than wonder about it. Note: During our tour of the ship a specific Seven Seas Suite (now an Explorer Suite - I believe that it was suite 1010 or 1011 - hard to remember)) was occupied by a high level executive. He was concerned about the noise from above. He was the one that told me that insulation was going to be installed.

While I love Explorer, it is so difficult to remember what "was" and what "is" since so many things have changed. Hopefully the noise from the doors will be remedied during the first dry dock (not sure when that is).

"As of March 2017, the Explorer was not particularly sound proof but was better than suites on the Navigator. We would not book a cruise under the pool deck on any Regent ship (except maybe Mariner which, IMO, is the most sound proofed ship of the fleet). )

TC, Does the noise under the pool deck get to suites on the Voyager, as far as you know? We are booked in a Seven Seas Suite #1021. On previous Voyager trips,deck 10, there did not seem to be a problem. But not sure about #1021. We did indeed experience a lot of noise on Silversea under the pool deck,especially the Whisper,Silver Suite. Any further thoughts about deck 10,Voyager? Thanks.

Jackie- that's why we were on the 9th deck in an Explorer Suite. No pool above, midship. It was fabulous with a very useable huge balcony, including an L-shaped sofa, two reclining lounge chairs, and a dining table. We had people in, with room to spare.

That's probably why Regent took several of these suites and upgraded them to Explorer suites. There are still Seven Seas Suites that are the same, but with much smaller balconies.

Hope this jogs your memory.

Sheila

"As of March 2017, the Explorer was not particularly sound proof but was better than suites on the Navigator. We would not book a cruise under the pool deck on any Regent ship (except maybe Mariner which, IMO, is the most sound proofed ship of the fleet). )

TC, Does the noise under the pool deck get to suites on the Voyager, as far as you know? We are booked in a Seven Seas Suite #1021. On previous Voyager trips,deck 10, there did not seem to be a problem. But not sure about #1021. We did indeed experience a lot of noise on Silversea under the pool deck,especially the Whisper,Silver Suite. Any further thoughts about deck 10,Voyager? Thanks.

Our first and only time under the pool deck was on the Voyager - it was so long ago that I don't recall our suite number. What did make an impression is that I would not book a suite under the pool again. On the Voyager we tend to book suites on deck 8 or 9 - mid-ship or slightly forward. We'll be on the Voyager next month - on deck 9!

Sheila - What confuses me is which Seven Seas Suites became Explorer suites, which Seven Seas Suites have 1 or 1 1/2 baths. I do remember which suites that were Explorer suites and are now Grand suite were/are. The former Explorer suites were in positions that we didn't care for which is why we ended up booking Grand Suite 1200. While the Grand Suites (some original and some changed) are almost identical, the former Explorer suites have a bidet and the original Grand suites do not (but they have the great bathroom).

Jackie- as best as I can recall, these are the Seven Seas Suites that became Explorer suites within a few months of the maiden voyage.

918,919,920,921,1004,1005,1008,1009. All have 1 1/2 baths.

Some Explorer Suites then became Grand Suites.

That's how I remember it.

Hope that solves the dilemma.

Sheila

Jackie- as best as I can recall, these are the Seven Seas Suites that became Explorer suites within a few months of the maiden voyage.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila:D

Sheila

Add 1204, 1205, 1206 and 1207 for eventual conversion too. We have stayed in 1205 and enjoyed it very much.

I am not sure why the suite conversion of the upper suites is proving so difficult to understand. :confused: Basically, the former Explorer Suites became Grand Suites, the former SS1 Suites became Explorer Suites, and the former SS2 Suites became Seven Seas Suites. Using the website deck plan for the Explorer, here are the suites in the various upper categories:

Seven Seas Suites: 701, 702, 801, 802, 922, 923, 1010, 1011

Explorer Suites: 918, 919, 920, 921, 1004, 1005, 1008, 1009, 1204, 1205, 1206, 1207

Grand Suites: 784, 785, 901, 902, 1012, 1015, 1200, 1201

Master Suites: 878, 879, 966, 967

Regent Suite: 1400

• 6 months later...

I am looking for any information on the Explorer Suites specifically Explorer suites 921,918,919 and 1008 and Grand Suites 784 or 785. We are actually booked in 921 but waitlisted for any Grand Suites. We are on the back to back Miami to Barcelona transatlantic March 2019. Any information, suggestions or help would be gratefully appreciated.