17 night Antartica Pursuit Voyage

Priya2

Azamara will sail you much closer to the scenery than Celebrity can.

We have sailed around the Horn, across Drakes Passage and the Atlantic several times on Azamara.

It's pot luck with the seas on either ship.

Neither company has ice-rated ships. The fjords in Antarctica are steep - drop almost straight down in the water. Non ice-rated ships will stand off similar distances from icebergs.

Neither company has ice-rated ships. The fjords in Antarctica are steep - drop almost straight down in the water. Non ice-rated ships will stand off similar distances from icebergs.

Ok, I get it. I really do, but I don’t want to do a landing. A drive by of the scenery with visits to other non-Antarctica ports is fine for me. Part of the reason I’m doing the trip is because I saw pictures like the one below taken by the Hotel Director when Journey was there in 2012. Honestly, stop throwing a dampener on the subject.

Phil

44a89ddce17470e80812f00511489590.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On Azamara we sailed through Neptunes Bellows into the center of Deception Islands volcano crater that still has steam rising up through the surface of the sea.

I may be wrong but I would be surprised if a larger Celebrity ship Is able to do that.

;)

Ok, I get it. I really do, but I don’t want to do a landing. A drive by of the scenery with visits to other non-Antarctica ports is fine for me. Part of the reason I’m doing the trip is because I saw pictures like the one below taken by the Hotel Director when Journey was there in 2012. Honestly, stop throwing a dampener on the subject.

Phil

lovely picture Phil. I have no doubt we’ll enjoy our ‘drive by’ :)

Phil

Phil,

We were on this cruise and it was incredible - the scenery was absolutely stunning and we would go again in a heartbeat. We did experience some rough weather in the Drake Passage but it wasn't for too long. We've done some wonderful cruises but this would still be our absolute #1. I hope you have a fantastic time.

Phil,

We were on this cruise and it was incredible - the scenery was absolutely stunning and we would go again in a heartbeat. We did experience some rough weather in the Drake Passage but it wasn't for too long. We've done some wonderful cruises but this would still be our absolute #1. I hope you have a fantastic time.

Thanks Jay. I'm sure we will!

Phil

Phil

It’s a fabulous cruise Phil. You won’t be disappointed. When we went the Azamara boards blew up with how it wasn’t a real Antarctica cruise because of no landings. Some even argued that some of the posted pictures were “doctored” or fake. We never felt we weren’t close enough to the shore or the bergs to really appreciate their beauty and we saw lots of critters. We loved it and would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Kathleen

It’s a fabulous cruise Phil. You won’t be disappointed. When we went the Azamara boards blew up with how it wasn’t a real Antarctica cruise because of no landings. Some even argued that some of the posted pictures were “doctored” or fake. We never felt we weren’t close enough to the shore or the bergs to really appreciate their beauty and we saw lots of critters. We loved it and would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Kathleen

Thanks Kathleen! I remember that thread. I checked with Heike. No doctoring.

Phil

Whatever Antarctica cruise you choose you will be delighted with your choice.

I met a lady on our cruise who cruised with her husband at the beginning of the year, then returned at the end of the year, with a relative. It is that kind of unique memorable place!

Like everyone else who sailed on this "once in a lifetime" cruise, I'd love to return!

I really don't think anyone is trying to put a damper on anything. Rather, a suggestion to make comparisons. Effective shopping and you may surprise yourself. If you are physically able and if the price swing is not too severe you owe it to yourself to look. Any of us who have done both will attest that there is no comparison.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I really don't think anyone is trying to put a damper on anything. Rather, a suggestion to make comparisons. Effective shopping and you may surprise yourself. If you are physically able and if the price swing is not too severe you owe it to yourself to look. Any of us who have done both will attest that there is no comparison.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Well said. Restricting discussion of travel perspectives is never healthy. There are many who welcome discussion and different viewpoints. To request posts be deleted for having an "opposite" perspective is really inconsistent with travel and CC objectives.

Personally, have enjoyed over a dozen cruises with Azamara. Our cruise line preference and will be doing a trans-Pacific next year on Quest. One Antarctic cruise south of the Antarctic Circle on Hurtigruten's ice-rated Fram. Its comfort, at least in our cabin, rivaled that of an N1/N2 on Journey/Quest. Food was as good if not better, with a Scandinavian flair. We selected Fram, cancelling Infinity's "drive by" cruise, for the opportunity of being able to set foot on Antartica south of the Circle after traveling north of the Arctic Circle to Nordkapp on Quest. Both exceptional trips. In sum, Fram was impressive from its cadre of naturalists who accompanied guests ashore to its navigation, housekeeping and seamanship crews taking us ashore in small boats. Safety was key, ashore, on the seas and in boating. The unexpected was around every corner of our Fram trip. Plus a wonderful mix of international passengers.

Obviously, not everyone wants to be as "involved" in their cruise destination. Have been "cruising" for 70 years now and have crossed the Atlantic on all of Cunard's Queen ocean liners during the 1950s. Thirty years "cruising" around the world on Navy ships adds additional perspective. Thousands of days at sea.

As ECCruise mentions, "effective shopping" is key. Antarctic cruises are expensive. Even "drive bys" on ocean cruise ships are nominally double the cost of a "warm water" cruise. The image of an iceberg is nice - not unlike the one we circumnavigated south of Greenland on a large cruise ship. Experiencing Antarctica "up close and personal" is a totally different experience: the towering mountains rising right out of the water, orcas surveying seals riding ice flows for lunch, humpback whales playing in the fjords, and different species of seals climbing snowdrifts and sliding down into the water are truly memorable lifetime experiences. Note: you do have to be in good health. These ice-rated ships have doctors and medical staff but you are a long way from a hospital. Expedition ships maintain the right to refuse unhealthy guests. However, that does not imply restricting "mature" guests as we were 75 and 72 at the time, and many others our age. Guests included one who used a wheel chair and crutches to get around. He made it ashore. And then there were several who chose to take a dip in the frigid waters...

I'm not sure I will ever take an Antarctica cruise, and a big reason is the bullying from people who say 'drive-by' cruises are no good. Well, I'm 70. I have never liked cold weather sports, or even cold weather. We are now snow birds to avoid just that. So if I go to Antarctica, I sure as H want to stay on the luxury ship where a warm lounge is only a few steps away. I'm not getting on a zodiac and regretting it for the next few hours! But apparently that's not acceptable to some posters here, so I just won't go. :p

I'm not sure I will ever take an Antarctica cruise, and a big reason is the bullying from people who say 'drive-by' cruises are no good. Well, I'm 70. I have never liked cold weather sports, or even cold weather. We are now snow birds to avoid just that. So if I go to Antarctica, I sure as H want to stay on the luxury ship where a warm lounge is only a few steps away. I'm not getting on a zodiac and regretting it for the next few hours! But apparently that's not acceptable to some posters here, so I just won't go. :p

Thank you Host Jazzbeau.

I have been reading this thread with interest and no little disquiet also feeling that some of the posts have verged on bullying the OP for his/her cruise option.

Am pretty sure I will never go on an Antarctic cruise drive by or otherwise. Frankly as my cruise friends will know the thought of being in a zodiac brings me out in hives.

I hope that all those who enjoy different things from me enjoy their Antarctic cruises whichever ship they choose to sail on.

Well said Jazzbeau. Exactly and fortunately there are other boards on Cruise Critic I can go to if I change my mind!

Phil

Thank you Host Jazzbeau.

I have been reading this thread with interest and no little disquiet also feeling that some of the posts have verged on bullying the OP for his/her cruise option.

Am pretty sure I will never go on an Antarctic cruise drive by or otherwise. Frankly as my cruise friends will know the thought of being in a zodiac brings me out in hives.

I hope that all those who enjoy different things from me enjoy their Antarctic cruises whichever ship they choose to sail on.

H.....The thought of you being in a zodiac dressed in an orange "hi vis" anorak has just given me the best laugh I have had this year! :')

Sometimes when people post inappropriate things it’s better if they are left up but the thread locked with an appropriate moderator comment. The problem with the level of removal of threads we now have is others don’t learn from the mistakes. Obviously something highly offensive should go but moderate issues or criticism of Azamara should in my view stay but be commented on with the reason for locking as used to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes when people post inappropriate things it’s better if they are left up but the thread locked with an appropriate moderator comment. The problem with the level of removal of threads we now have is others don’t learn from the mistakes. Obviously something highly offensive should go but moderate issues or criticism of Azamara should in my view stay but be commented on with the reason for locking as used to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely my thoughts too Ann. People disagree often and most think their opinion is always the right one, as demonstrated by some of the posts here, especially the previously deleted ones on this thread. Some of those posts were highly inappropriate but would serve to educate people as to how NOT to post unwanted advice!

As long as the posts are not offensive I think they should remain and the thread be locked, as you suggested. A comment by the moderator is all that is required. Dissenting and varied opinions are part of Cruise Critic's value to new and old cruisers and we would not want the Forum to become insipid, where any controversial opinion is frowned on.