17 night Antartica Pursuit Voyage

Priya2

I apologise if this has been covered before. Although the Azamara boards are usually friendly, in some areas of CC it’s apparently a punishable offence to raise a topic that has been previously covered 😧

I am looking at this cruise, but can’t find any reviews on it. It looks wonderful, but I do suffer from sea sickness and apparently the weather and the sizes of the waves around Cape Horn are notorious! My hubby fancies all of the chilly areas. I love to find a bit of sun in January. I’m guessing Argentina is hot, so I’ll get that there. The rest, not so much.

Any comments on this cruise, any similar cruise or on any of the ports included will be happily received. 🙂

I've done Antarctica twice and would go back again. It is an unbelievable experience. The Drake Passage is risky but it's only about 18 hours long. The first cruise was on the Marco Polo and included 4 landings. The second cruise was on the Journey and due to weather forecasts had many changes to the itinerary , but we got to all the ports but in a different sequence. You can only experience the serene beauty on Antarctica by experiencing it from a ship. Take your meds and enjoy.

Haven’t done Antarctica, but have gone round the Horn. We were lucky and it was very calm. It was cold on deck tho’ but then once we got up the coast towards Montevideo it got warm again. We loved Buenos Aires, one of the nicest cities we have been to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this on Quest in 2013 and loved it. We didn’t make Cape Horn as the wind and seas were too rough. We also were stranded overlooking Ushuaia as the port authorities wouldn’t allow us in, they said it was too rough, it was windy. The pilot was on board and added his pleas to the captain’s to no avail. Even worse new supplies of food and fuel were waiting on the dock. New supplies had to be sourced at the next port. The scenery was wonderful and we were really lucky as nature was generous and we saw many whales, sea birds, penguins etc . We saw whales hunting prey by working together by the boat creating bubble circles.

That was our first Azamara cruise in February 2008

Still the best we have ever done, would do it again tomorrow.

I should also have said that we made all the ports and the weather was pretty good most of the time.

You will experience all the seasons during the cruise so dressing in layers is the norm.

We sailed to Antarctica on Ponant's Le Lyrial, which is less than half the size of Pursuit. We did the full monty with landings on Antarctica, which you won't experience with Azamara. IMO that's the way to do unless you have mobility issues that would keep you from getting into the Zodiacs or your finances won't permit it). But that wasn't your question.:)

I am also prone to seasickness and had two miserable days onboard - one when we were outrunning a storm from South Georgia to the Antarctic Peninsula, and the the second on our second day of the Drake Passage. We had a two day crossing to Ushuaia and were told to pack on the first day.:eek: Fortunately, most of the roughness was in the dark hours, but I did spend the morning in bed until we entered the Beagle Channel and the seas flattened out.

I would do that trip again in a heartbeat. The scenery is astounding, several pods of whales put on a sunset show as we departed (when the Naturalist gets on the PA system and says, "get out on deck NOW," you know it's going to be amazing) and I learned an incredible amount of history and nature during the trip. No amount of Bonine could overcome 10 meter seas (we had waves splashing onto our Deck 3 balcony) but I would trade a couple of days of green apples for that trip any time.

If you can afford it, book a cruise that does landings. Antarctica simply isn’t the same if seen only from the ocean. I’ve done the Azamara ‘scenic cruising only’ trip as well as Seabourn with 6 landings; there’s simply no comparison. Silversea does landings too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this on Quest in 2013 and loved it. We didn’t make Cape Horn as the wind and seas were too rough. We also were stranded overlooking Ushuaia as the port authorities wouldn’t allow us in, they said it was too rough, it was windy. The pilot was on board and added his pleas to the captain’s to no avail. Even worse new supplies of food and fuel were waiting on the dock. New supplies had to be sourced at the next port. The scenery was wonderful and we were really lucky as nature was generous and we saw many whales, sea birds, penguins etc . We saw whales hunting prey by working together by the boat creating bubble circles.

We were on this cruise also. Crazy weather, but still one of our very favorites! Between the animals and scenery it was amazing.

Kathleen

I echo those who say if your abilities allow it, do an excursion trip rather than a drive-by.

And the AZ cruise isn't cheap, so although there will be a premium (worth every penny) it will not be as extensive as from a mass market drive-by sailing.

But the seas need to be considered. The Drake can be the Drake Lake or the Drake Snake and everything in between. We had the southbound crossing very rough but the return almost like glass.

But the worst weather we encountered was actually on the Peninsula. 80 Knot winds, 14 meter (42 foot) seas. And because of the ice floes, growlers and bergs, they don't use the stabilizers. A real treat.

But when they shake out the experiences we've had on 70+ cruises, it will always be the top.

I agree with others that you should go on an expedition trip to Antarctica, meaning a ship which has landings. We went on G Adventures Expedition and it was absolutely fantastic. The ship is comfortable but not elegant like the Azamara ships. The food was comparable though (amazingly!) and the staff who gave the lectures and led the expeditions on land and the zodiac and kayak cruises were outstanding.

I definitely understand the recommendations for a cruise with landings, but we both have a fair bit of arthritis. Consequently, we decided on the drive by. It will be enough for us.

I’m a bit alarmed by the idea of the ship not using stabilisers ECCruise :eek: Why would that be?

Not an excuse. Take your meds and go on a cruise with landings. Hertigruten has new eco-friendly ships offering landings on Antarctica. Not to be missed. We did their smallest Antarctic ship, Fram, in February this year. My wife is 76 and I was three months after total knee replacement. The crews are great helping guests. Recall that we had one handicapped person who relied on crutches... As some have said, seeing Antartica from a ship only is like seeing and understanding New York from the Atlantic ocean. Doesn't count. Our Antarctic cruise took us south of the Antarctica Circle - its even a different world from that above the Circle.

Not an excuse. Take your meds and go on a cruise with landings. Hertigruten has new eco-friendly ships offering landings on Antarctica. Not to be missed. We did their smallest Antarctic ship, Fram, in February this year. My wife is 76 and I was three months after total knee replacement. The crews are great helping guests. Recall that we had one handicapped person who relied on crutches... As some have said, seeing Antartica from a ship only is like seeing and understanding New York from the Atlantic ocean. Doesn't count. Our Antarctic cruise took us south of the Antarctica Circle - its even a different world from that above the Circle.
No, it’s not an excuse. It’s a choice. A “drive by” is what some people want. We also have some concerns about the effects on the environment of the numbers of people landing. Each to their own and all that!

No, it’s not an excuse. It’s a choice. A “drive by” is what some people want. We also have some concerns about the effects on the environment of the numbers of people landing. Each to their own and all that!

You will thoroughly enjoy the drive by and still see plenty of wonderful scenery and wildlife.

The Valdez Peninsula in Argentina is well worth a shore trip if you get the chance, and of course the Falklands.

Has you say each to their own.

Absolutely Priya. It's your cruise and your choice. Yes it's a wonderful experience to be able to land on Antarctica in a Zodiac if you are able, but I also take your point about the effects on the fragile environment.

You are going to have a fabulous cruise whatever and if you really do suffer with sea sickness then go to the medical centre and have the injection. It works almost immediately and will be the best dollars you ever spend!

I definitely understand the recommendations for a cruise with landings, but we both have a fair bit of arthritis. Consequently, we decided on the drive by. It will be enough for us.

I’m a bit alarmed by the idea of the ship not using stabilisers ECCruise :eek: Why would that be?

I had a LOT of arthritis. Was worth it. As I said, no stabilizers because of floes, growlers and bergs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I had a LOT of arthritis. Was worth it. As I said, no stabilizers because of floes, growlers and bergs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

DEFINITELY worth it! Misconception that landings are environmentally unfriendly. Many occur at/near research stations. Others are IAATO approved and monitored locations. The ships are eco-friendly and employ naturalists who guide and monitor people ashore. Similar to a safari in Africa. Fram is a 1B ice certified ship. It goes into fjords and ice flows ships like Pursuit cannot. Most breathtaking imagery was south of the Antarctic Circle in a fjord between two large islands opening up into a bay where the sea was as calm as glass. The reflections in the water of snow capped mountain and ice flows were fantastic. Images of orcas hunting seals on ice flows as their prey is as "natural" as one can get. Physical challenges, such as arthritis, should not be a limiter. Hurtigruten (and others) require a doctor's medical certification for each passenger which is reviewed personally by the ship's doctor with each guest on embarkation. If not physically qualified, you don't board. And, yes, Fram has stabilizers and they were deployed while crossing the Drake. And the food was fantastic! It a two week trip to another world.

I'm totally with you. I booked this cruise a month or two back and it suits me just fine. I saw the crew posting the last time Journey was there and the obvious excitement. In general I like to take more of a "helicopter" view of things rather than detail. I am not really a detail person! This cruise really appeals and I'll hope that Drakes Passage is kind. If it isn't well I'll have some stories to tell!

Phil

I'm totally with you. I booked this cruise a month or two back and it suits me just fine. I saw the crew posting the last time Journey was there and the obvious excitement. In general I like to take more of a "helicopter" view of things rather than detail. I am not really a detail person! This cruise really appeals and I'll hope that Drakes Passage is kind. If it isn't well I'll have some stories to tell!

Phil

So have you booked the same one as us Phil, 6th January 2019? We are staying in the Costa Rican rainforests for 11 days before a cruise in January, so do like to immerse ourselves sometimes, but we are both happy to have the extra comfort etc of a drive by cruise in Antartica.

So have you booked the same one as us Phil, 6th January 2019? We are staying in the Costa Rican rainforests for 11 days before a cruise in January, so do like to immerse ourselves sometimes, but we are both happy to have the extra comfort etc of a drive by cruise in Antartica.

Yep, that's the one!

Phil

My husband and I are currently booked on the Celebrity Eclipse Antartica cruise in January 2019 and are thinking of switching to the Azamara Pursuit sailing.

Can anyone advise if a larger ship may be better in rough seas?

Neither of us are prone to sea sickness however, we've never experienced really rough seas.

I have some concern about the number of passengers disembarking from the Eclipse in the small ports and would definitely prefer the Pursuit there on that.

While we've enjoyed sailing Celebrity, we prefer Azamara.

Any input is appreciated, likewise, we are not considering a sailing with landings.

My husband and I are currently booked on the Celebrity Eclipse Antartica cruise in January 2019 and are thinking of switching to the Azamara Pursuit sailing.

Neither of us are prone to sea sickness however, we've never experienced really rough seas.

I have some concern about the number of passengers disembarking from the Eclipse in the small ports and would definitely prefer the Pursuit there on that.

Any input is appreciated, likewise, we are not considering a sailing with landings.

Azamara will sail you much closer to the scenery than Celebrity can.

We have sailed around the Horn, across Drakes Passage and the Atlantic several times on Azamara.

It's pot luck with the seas on either ship.

Edited by Bloodaxe

I think being in the centre of a larger ship is supposed to be somewhat better. I suffer from sea sickness on mildly rough seas. Nevertheless, we have booked the Azamara (I’ll just make a point of taking the medication 3 times a days in the relevant seas). I really like the Eclipse, but the price of this cruise is virtually the same on both when the number of nights is calculated and my research suggests the Pursuit will offer much more, including two expert lecturers on the ecology and wildlife 🙂