Birding & Cruising

hvbaskey

There are several sub-threads of birding here and there while cruising; so starting a more general thread where “all” regions can be included. This thread is in hopes that people will share their experiences of birding while they cruise!

There are a few of us out there - let’s join forces, unite, and share information!

• 4 weeks later...
There are several sub-threads of birding here and there while cruising; so starting a more general thread where “all” regions can be included. This thread is in hopes that people will share their experiences of birding while they cruise!

There are a few of us out there - let’s join forces, unite, and share information!

Great idea, Heather! I'll follow the adventures of you and others. We usually cruise the Caribbean and will next sail at the end of October. We have a field trip scheduled on St. Maarten with Binkie van Es, birder and National Geographic photographer, so we're really looking forward to that.

Dena

We have booked 11 day Western Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Reflection with Carefree Birding (Ken & Linda) for Jan 29th 2017. This is our 2nd cruise and first time birding south of Florida. Sure we will be overwhelmed with life birds. Birding trip is fully booked but others are available in later 2018 & 19. This will be so handy cuz we are attending SpaceCoast bird festival and then just drive down to Ft Lauderdale for cruise.

Hello all cruise ship birders. I'm scheduled for a Los Angeles to Buenos Aires cruise 3 Dec 2017 and have hired some local guides. I'll post info here and hopefully my checklists.

Cinda

Nice!!! we are doing South America as well in December ---> Buenos Aires to Santiago.

We have hired local guides in BA, Punta Del Este, Puerto Madryn, Puerto Montt, and Santiago.

Heather

Nice!!! we are doing South America as well in December ---> Buenos Aires to Santiago.

We have hired local guides in BA, Punta Del Este, Puerto Madryn, Puerto Montt, and Santiago.

Heather

We are sailing from LA 3 Dec - BA 3 January. I checked the schedules to see if we were in port together. Of course, no. We are heading in opposite directs but our paths cross. Looks like it will be "2 ships passing in the night" as we port in Puerto Madryn on the 30th and you port there on the 29th.

My guides:

Buenos Aires: 1/2/18 -- Diego Gallegos

Ushuaia: 12/26/17 -- Esteban Daniels

Lima: 12/14/17 -- Alejandro Tello

Have tours for:

Falkland Islands -- Volunteer Point

Punta Arenas -- Magdalena Island & Penguin Reserve

I'm looking for a guide for Valparaiso Chile or Puerto Montt Chile & also Puerto Madryn AR. If you wouldn't mind sharing your guide info for these places, I would appreciate it.

Cinda

We are sailing from LA 3 Dec - BA 3 January. I checked the schedules to see if we were in port together. Of course, no. We are heading in opposite directs but our paths cross. Looks like it will be "2 ships passing in the night" as we port in Puerto Madryn on the 30th and you port there on the 29th.

My guides:

Buenos Aires: 1/2/18 -- Diego Gallegos

Ushuaia: 12/26/17 -- Esteban Daniels

Lima: 12/14/17 -- Alejandro Tello

Have tours for:

Falkland Islands -- Volunteer Point

Punta Arenas -- Magdalena Island & Penguin Reserve

I'm looking for a guide for Valparaiso Chile or Puerto Montt Chile & also Puerto Madryn AR. If you wouldn't mind sharing your guide info for these places, I would appreciate it.

Cinda

Oh what a shame that we are only passing ships in the night!

For Puerto Montt - we are using “Birds Chile” and they also offered us a trip from Valparaiso, but we actually went with “Albatross Birding” as they price-matched and are located out of Santiago. For Puerto Montt, we are doing a 6-hour (half-day) “Birds of the Lake District” tour. For Santiago, we are going to El Yeso Valley.

I have also been in contact with Esteban (Ushuaia) - but we made plans prior to him contacting me :(

for B.A. - we are using “Birding Buenos Aires”.

for Punta Arenas, we are also going to Magdalena Island (weather pending!)

It’s going to be fantastic as we come back relatively the same time, so we must share our experiences!!!

Heather

Heather

One last question: Who are you using for for Puerto Madryn?

Cinda

One last question: Who are you using for for Puerto Madryn?

Cinda

Agustin of birdingpuertomadryn.com

He does half days and full days - we are doing a full day combination of wildlife and birds.

Heather

• 3 weeks later...

Heather

We will be Punta del Este in late February. Having been there before and done a walking tour, this time we would like to have a birding guide for the day. If you wouldn't mind, may I ask who you got for a guide?

Agustin of birdingpuertomadryn.com

He does half days and full days - we are doing a full day combination of wildlife and birds.

Heather

Thank you Heather for your help. I was able to to book Augustin in Puerto Madryn and Birds Chile for Puerto Montt. I saw that WINGS offers this Tour/cruise. I'm am going to try my best with Pelagics! Let's keep in touch & exchange bird lists here!

Cinda

Thank you Heather for your help. I was able to to book Augustin in Puerto Madryn and Birds Chile for Puerto Montt. I saw that WINGS offers this Tour/cruise. I'm am going to try my best with Pelagics! Let's keep in touch & exchange bird lists here!

Cinda

Awesomeness! for sure, let's keep in touch and share what we have experienced :) We are going to try our best with the Pelagics as well. More so me than DH, as I don't think he will stand out there for hours on end, as I will be - LOL!

I remember when we did the Panama Canal, we had Masked Boobies follow the ship when out at sea. Brown Boobies as well, but we also saw them in port. The Masked Boobies were only seen at sea, which I am thankful for spending the time at the bow, seeking out birds, whales, and dolphins.

Heather

Cinda

Cinda, our guide Agustin, just released this video on YouTube. sooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!

Heather

We will be Punta del Este in late February. Having been there before and done a walking tour, this time we would like to have a birding guide for the day. If you wouldn't mind, may I ask who you got for a guide?

We are using this company for Punta del Este: http://www.guyrapyta.com/

With kind regards

Heather

Heather,

I just want to mention that I went to the site you provided, and I saw that Agustin Carriquiry is one of their guides. We had a tour with him once before out of Montevideo, and he did an excellent job. He took us to places that nobody would ever find, including the "yards" of his friends. We got many, many lifers that day.

Good luck!

Heather,

I just want to mention that I went to the site you provided, and I saw that Agustin Carriquiry is one of their guides. We had a tour with him once before out of Montevideo, and he did an excellent job. He took us to places that nobody would ever find, including the "yards" of his friends. We got many, many lifers that day.

Good luck!

That is awesome! I'm not sure who we will have yet for Punta del Este. We wanted to bird out of MVD as well, but it is Christmas Day when we will be there and most places are quite deservingly closed (although the company did offer to try and find us a guide, we will do something else in lieu of).

I am though very excited about our birding trip on the 26th out of Punta del Este, the itinerary sent sounds most exciting!!!

Heather

Hi we are bird watchers from UK. On Princess cruise from BA to San Antonio 31/01/18. Any others on the same crise interested in bird watcing? Trying to book with Birding BA at the moment

We’re going to have to brilliant trip reports from South America! Several of us are heading south this season :cool:

3 months today, our ship sails! sooooo excited :) Our first birding trek is with Birding BA and we are going to the Southern Rios region (Pampas, etc.). Be patient with their replies, I found them very busy (guiding) - but they DO respond and are great to deal with.

Heather

Our first birding trek is with Birding BA and we are going to the Southern Rios region (Pampas, etc.). Be patient with their replies, I found them very busy (guiding) - but they DO respond and are great to deal with.

Heather

We also are booked with them for February. I first met Marcelo when we were spending a post-cruise day in BA several years ago. We were at the Costanera Sur reserve, which is close to the Hilton. He was guiding another couple but was generous giving birding tips- but not at the expense of the other couple's time. Impressed with both his sense of propriety and his birding knowledge, I asked for a card. We are looking forward to a day with him. He understandably is busy, so be patient with e-mail.

We also are booked with them for February. I first met Marcelo when we were spending a post-cruise day in BA several years ago. We were at the Costanera Sur reserve, which is close to the Hilton. He was guiding another couple but was generous giving birding tips- but not at the expense of the other couple's time. Impressed with both his sense of propriety and his birding knowledge, I asked for a card. We are looking forward to a day with him. He understandably is busy, so be patient with e-mail.

How did you find Costanera Sur reserve, on your own? We have a spare afternoon and were thinking of going there, if time permits. Marcelo said it is a gated reserve, so quite safe, as compared to other parts of BA.

This is the tour we have booked with Birding BA:

SOUTHERN ENTRE RÍOS (Best birding hotspot in the area!)

The tour starts at the hotel early in the morning, from where we will leave by car or van (for small groups) to the south of Entre Ríos province, a trip that will last about 2 and a half hours from BA city. Since this is a vast area and there is more than one birding spot for visiting, we will choose the exact destination depending on your interests and the weather conditions. The two main possibilities are Ceibas and Perdices. The first place is best for a high number of species, and the second one is the best for endangered and rare birds. Other very good places, but further away (meaning a longer trip) are Ibicuy, Gualeguay and Gualeguaychú, best recommended for an overnight tour.

The specialties that we will be looking for in these places are a lot, most of them rare or not possible to find in BA proximities, such as the Greater Rhea, Savanna Hawk, White-fronted Woodpecker, White Woodpecker, Little Thornbird, Short-billed Canastero, Lark-like Brushrunner, Brown Cacholote, Scimitar-billed Woodcreeper, White Monjita and White-naped Xenopsaris among the fairly (but locally) common ones, and the Black-and-white Monjita, Saffron-cowled Blackbird, Chestnut Seedeater and Marsh Seedeater among the rare and endangered birds. Aquatic birds are common too, with species such as Maguari Stork, Southern Screamer, Ringed Teal and Roseate Spoonbill.

At noon we will have lunch and late in the afternoon we will return to Buenos Aires, arriving in the evening. Total hours: more than 8, likely more than 12 (approx.).