What is restricted business class,posted on my Regent invoice??

Sorry,,,more questions.Found cheaper flight and better timing on my own and probably will cancel air thru Regent. Even with a taxi it seems better deal. They don t charge for cancelling air, I presume. Have 1 nite in hotel, assume they will transfer us to shiip from there,Must find out how much for Regent to transfer us,from ship port to Santiago.Its a 1 ANd half hr ride.Saving $1000 so worth the hassle. But will decide when cruise closer.Thanks for all the advice.

Sorry,,,more questions.Found cheaper flight and better timing on my own and probably will cancel air thru Regent. Even with a taxi it seems better deal. They don t charge for cancelling air, I presume. Have 1 nite in hotel, assume they will transfer us to shiip from there,Must find out how much for Regent to transfer us,from ship port to Santiago.Its a 1 ANd half hr ride.Saving $1000 so worth the hassle. But will decide when cruise closer.Thanks for all the advice.

Congratulations on saving $1,000. I love when I can find savings like that! I know that you're not looking at transportation from the ship port in Santiago for a while but keep in mind that Regent easily charges 2 - 3 times more than if you booked it on your own.

Really curious which airline you decided on.

I inquired about restricted business today as I booked our first regent cruise. It basically means that you are guaranteed business class over water. Eg. If you fly London to Cincinnati -/ London to jfk —jfk to Cincinnati , the domestic leg will likely be coach

So their air is great for those who live in cities with direct flights from Europe but not for those who live in less accessible places

We declined the business class air and the hotel and got several thousand credit. We have lots of miles to book business class the whole trip and points for hotels. We will come out ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The air was on Copa Airlines, never heard of them and got average ratings,but good price and times for us.Plus ,save money.Found out its approx.$100 for taxi for 1 plus hrs.to port,will just do that.Sure its cheaper than Regent, unless they provide free transport when book on own. Doubt that,right. ]Also dealing with next cruise flight, booked Air Tahita Nui 5 mos ago and said no Sunday flights at that time,,,surprise ,see on CC roll call that added it.Tried to change and wanted $600 per,,for business class switch.Yeah,right.Talked to supervisor and would waive change fee ,but must pay more for same ticket now as prices went up..Will stick with my first plan.

Love to cruise, just getting there is a problem.

I inquired about restricted business today as I booked our first regent cruise. It basically means that you are guaranteed business class over water. Eg. If you fly London to Cincinnati -/ London to jfk —jfk to Cincinnati , the domestic leg will likely be coach

True, it's likely. But...we've been fortunate enough to have been upgraded to domestic first quite a few times - it can happen when you're on the same carrier the entire way.

We plan for the initial leg to be economy and call it a bonus if we get the upgrade. :D

So their air is great for those who live in cities with direct flights from Europe but not for those who live in less accessible places

We declined the business class air and the hotel and got several thousand credit. We have lots of miles to book business class the whole trip and points for hotels. We will come out ahead

Not saying that what you posted is not true but this doesn't really explain why this designation is made on tickets that start outside of the U.S. (Vancouver in my case) and do not even fly over U.S. air space. We still have that designation on our invoice/tickets. And, as Bill pointed out, if you are flying the same carrier domestically and continue on internationally, it can (and usually is -- we were not upgraded - we were ticketed Restricted Business internationally and First domestically) immediately.

But it is not assured. That is what restricted means. They can book you in economy over land. Not for us.

So, in our case (totally international flights) they could book us in economy over land? If this is true, then Regent would not be including "International Class Air". It seems that every ticket Regent purchases is restricted - even when it does not apply to the individual's flights.

May not be so if both flights are international but I was told that a domestic flight from 1st transatlantic landing in us to final us destination can be economy

Just checked my invoice for our cruise next March. The flights are from Vancouver to Bali (via Hong Kong) and returning non-stop from Hong Kong to Vancouver. The flights are "restricted business". It is interesting that we are seeing/hearing different answers but may still not know what it means.

This may help:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/unrestricted-fares-468284

It appears to reinforce the opinion I gave in post #3 - supported by info from Bill in post #15

That was a great explanation of "unrestricted fares" and is similar to what you posted. However, aren't we talking about "restricted fares"?

One (of many) descriptions of "restricted" fares is:

• Restricted—These fares have advance purchase requirements, restrictions on the use of the ticket, and penalties for changes to the original ticket. Because they limit your travel and reservation options and impose penalties for change, these tickets are sold at a discount to unrestricted fares on the same flight. Discount fares typically have advance purchase requirements of 3, 7, 14, or 21 days; Saturday night stay requirements; and minimum or maximum stay restrictions. Source: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=101695&seqNum=4

Edited by Travelcat2

• 2 years later...

When I made our booking for the family Alaska cruise in June, I immediately booked our air; refundable business/first class on Delta with a stop in Atlanta because Delta seemed to be the only line who didn't have two stopovers on the way to Anchorage.  Not long after that, Regent included first class air  for our cruise.  My TA talked to the air concierge, who said she would try to get the deviation to allow us first class from Memphis to Atlanta; then on a later conversation she said they couldn't guarantee getting all six of us on the same flight (especially since I was holding six reservations).  So we took the credit and kept our flights.  But, had Regent flown us, we stood a great probability of flying Memphis to Atlanta in coach, and we were fully aware of that.

17 hours ago, the big roxy said:

To deviate with Regent can you still pick your flights and they book them for you.

We have always booked cruise only and arranged our own air, but its way to expensive for the particular cruise Van-Nice and Istanbul-Van.

We always deviate out of YVR.  I study ITAmatrix and see what airlines and routes i want to take. I then either give them to my TA or ask the TA to release our booking so i can talk directly with Regent Air. I spend time talking on the phone with the always pleasant Regent agents explaining what i want. If, by chance, my route or airline is not under contract i work with the agent to find something acceptable. She then emails me the proposed itinerary and gives me a number of days to review it and make sure i am happy with it. Once i am sure, i contact them and confirm our agreement. The confirmed flights are then emailed through my TA to me.  If i can't make online changes to the seat selections I get back in touch with Regent Air and they will work with me to get the seats I want. 

The whole process goes pretty smoothly.