Alcohol Prices?

Brendo

Just had a few mixed reports about prices for alcohol on the cruise......

We are doing a cruise on the Dawn for week fantastique, 12th of November.

I have been told that the prices are steep, and others have said in international waters the prices become cheap as chips. Anyone have the right answer?

We are popping our cruise cherry for my brothers 21st! so of corse, a few bevies will be had :p;)

Thanks!:D

The prices for drinks on board are a bit higher than what you'd expect to pay in the pub on land - and no, they don't drop once you get into international waters.

I think your friend may be getting confused with the duty free alcohol allowance. Australians are allowed to purchase up to 2.5L of alcohol, bringing it back into the country without paying any customs/taxes. This usually takes the form of whisky and/or spirits. These work out much cheaper than buying the equivalent product on land in Australia.

Duty free purchases can be made before departure, on board the ship, or on some of the port visits. In each case, your purchases will be taken off you when you bring them on the ship, and returned on the last night of the cruise. They are not available for consumption during the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

we dont know the prices on p&o but were off in 3 days on the P&O dawn, so i will let you know when we get back. i will give all the bars a try for you hehe, also going to try a smugglers pack to get some on board too ...well see

regards,

soggy mastiff.

P.S Happy Cruising.

the prices are about the as what you would find in Australian night clubs or resorts.

This may be why we read so many threads about smuggling and other ways to get alcohol on board the P&O ships.

Vino tends to be a bit over the top.

On a Pacific Dawn cruise this year we purchased a reasonable Marlborough NZ Sav Blanc [saint Clair] at a restaurant price of $42.00

It retails at Dan Murphy's for $16:99.

Not a bad markup considering P&O would probably buy it for about $10-12 a bottle. :eek::D

It is really overpriced on P&O!!-

Can of VB/tooheys or on tap- $5.50

Corona/Premium $7.95

Spirit + mixer- $7.50+

Wine- $8+ glass $24+ bottle

Cocktails (which use cheap house spirits you wouldn't normally be game to touch) $9.25

Cocktails with normal spirits(MIX)- $14+

Well with some of the prices P&O are charging for cruises, and no more auto tipping, I guess they have to make it up somewhere ... :p

These prices really are steep, though. It is a shame that they can't do like Princess and HAL and allow guests to bring on their own wine:(

Would someone be able to tell me, please, if it is possible to buy a wine package on Pacific Dawn, as we did on Royal Caribbean last year? If it is possible, would anyone know what is available and for what prices?

Thanks in advance.

Jan

Would someone be able to tell me, please, if it is possible to buy a wine package on Pacific Dawn, as we did on Royal Caribbean last year? If it is possible, would anyone know what is available and for what prices?

Thanks in advance.

Jan

In a word - no!

Barry

Thanks in advance.

Jan

no packages, but you can buy a glass of wine from any bar, and you can only buy bottles of wine from two places, one is the main dinning room and the other is port side rear of the cafe del sol deck 12.

no packages, but you can buy a glass of wine from any bar, and you can only buy bottles of wine from two places, one is the main dinning room and the other is port side rear of the cafe del sol deck 12.

I'm not sure what ship you are referring to but on Pacific Pearl you could get bottles of wine/champagne in an ice bucket at every bar on board!

I'm not sure what ship you are referring to but on Pacific Pearl you could get bottles of wine/champagne in an ice bucket at every bar on board!

i was referring to the Originally Posted by JindaleeJan

i was referring to the Originally Posted by JindaleeJan

Yeah I know that P&O don't do wine packages and wasn't trying to say they don't. I was just pointing out that on Pacific Pearl which is P&O they would serve bottled wine at every bar onboard not just the restaurants which you suggested in your post.

So it's Pacific Dawn that won't serve bottles over the bar?

Strange that they will do it one ship but not on another :eek:

Yeah I know that P&O don't do wine packages and wasn't trying to say they don't. I was just pointing out that on Pacific Pearl which is P&O they would serve bottled wine at every bar onboard not just the restaurants which you suggested in your post.

So it's Pacific Dawn that won't serve bottles over the bar?

Strange that they will do it one ship but not on another :eek:

It is true what goes on one ship does not happen on another, as we read on many threads, On the pacific Dawn on our last five cruises this is what we found (you can only buy bottles of wine from two places, one is the main dinning room and the other is port side rear of the cafe del sol deck 12. ) on our cruise in feb 2010 we could buy bottles of wine from any bar, but who to say they the cruise line/P&O have changed it nice we cruise on the Pacific Dawn last 04/06/2011.

P.S I did read some where on cruise critic that on the Pacific Pearl that were saleing bottles of wine from all bars. I can not say what they do on the Pacific Pearl as I have not been on her, but have you been on the Pacific Dawn?

hmmmm maybe prices vary on each ship?? because when i was on the pacific sun in april (up to cairns etc) i found the drinks quite cheap??? a cocktail was $8/9 and my friend would get a gin and tonic and only spend about $6???

I thought the prices were really good

Not sure why people think the prices on board are steep. Where do you normally drink? $9 - $10 for a cocktail is good, compared to $14 - $20 on land, beers seemed to be only a dollar or so more expensive than in my local pub, but I only bought one beer while I was on the ship.

If you're keen to get a 'buzz' from booze without spending too much, try cocktail & martini classes. $17 for a class, and you get to try several different drinks (martini class was awesome!)

hmmmm maybe prices vary on each ship?? because when i was on the pacific sun in april (up to cairns etc) i found the drinks quite cheap??? a cocktail was $8/9 and my friend would get a gin and tonic and only spend about $6???

Agreed

My Gin & Tonics were $6.50 :)

Unless the Jewel is different from other P&O (Oz) ships, prices also vary across the different bars. On Jewel - $15 for a mixed drink or a cocktail in the Mix Bar (Atrium Deck 7) and $7-9 in Connexions Bar on the same level. Mix is a "premium" brands bar with a classically tinkling pianist and Connexions a larger bar with a DJ or a band and a dance floor. We found 3 different price ranges across the ship. We devoted two sea days to this important research project.

Colleen

. We devoted two sea days to this important research project.

Colleen

That is a very good idea Colleen! Will try it next time!

I just found I enjoyed the Promenade Bar (Piano bar) on the Dawn so much I really didn't care how much I was paying for drinks!

Archived