Irma Hurricane

dandee2

Hi all,

Probably too early to tell but first cruise of the winter season of the Wind Surf out of Sint-Maarten is in 2 months. Considering the devastation of the island and the region and much of the infrastructure (Airport, lodging non-existent, etc), I would not be surprised if WS decides to offer an alternative embarkation port.

Prayers goes to those affected in this difficult time.

Just saw some local (Tampa Bay) women interviewed who are in St Martin and went through storm. They are fine, their hotel was damaged but liveable. Airport will be a week or so for service. Hopefully WS will still be able to sail from there. The Dutch and French sending aid and supplies. Let's hope they recover quickly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

She's optimistic. No more pier in St-Martin for now. No more trees on the hills. Sad to see.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/hurricane-irma-slams-caribbean-florida-could-be-hit-next/news-story/6063d6724896e47f3c10c03492c60166#&gid=null&pid=1

You can also see the damage from the Netherland Marine Force at their Facebook page (search for Koninklijke Marine)

Edited by dandee2

From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they have many pictures and details from what has hit St-Barts, plus the Dutch colony of Saint Maarten in the Caribbean. Enjoyed visiting both of these scenic locations for the first time in early 2015. Plus, having three days in San Juan during that trip. Below are four of their visuals from St-Barts and Saint Maarten.

Their latest story has this headline: Staring into oblivion: Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos brace for impact with these highlights: The category 5 storm - the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic - howled past Puerto Rico with 185mph winds after reducing the tiny tropical islands of Barbuda and St Martin to rubble. They suffered the storm's full fury with 95 per cent of properties destroyed on both islands. Officials said at least eight people died on the French part of St Martin - a pristine resort known for its vibrant nightlife.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4860396/Irma-hits-Puerto-Rico-damaging-Barbuda-St-Martin.html

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Daily Mail, here is one visual from St-Barts. We walked right by this one historic building. Remember this location and these sights very well in St-Barts!! Next are three of their visuals from Saint Maarten that give examples of the major damages there.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

43FE8B1600000578-4860396-Devastation_This_was_the_scene_on_Saint_Barth_after_the_hurrican-a-54_1504779127558_zpsw1fjrzhn.jpg

43FEEA1700000578-4860396-image-a-40_1504771799777_zpstdqfn9zf.jpg

43FEA15000000578-4860396-image-a-13_1504768065547_zpskawczirv.jpg

43FEA14400000578-4860396-image-a-23_1504768232877_zpseyzxh9xd.jpg

Following all the news I can.

I have a group of 12 onboard Jan 20, all flights booked for months into SXM, tours and hotels as well. Wondering if they'll totally scrap the itinerary for another area as much of our itinerary has been wiped out. :rolleyes:

This is so sad to watch and heartbreaking to think about.

Any news y'all have is welcome and I'll do the same!!!

Following all the news I can.

I have a group of 12 onboard Jan 20, all flights booked for months into SXM, tours and hotels as well. Wondering if they'll totally scrap the itinerary for another area as much of our itinerary has been wiped out. :rolleyes:

This is so sad to watch and heartbreaking to think about.

Any news y'all have is welcome and I'll do the same!!!

We are booked in November for 2 weeks. I doubt any decisions will be made until a month or more from now. We wish we could help in some way. Our vacation is irrelevant. Lives and livelihoods are totally disrupted. Very sad.

Reality is if the pier is severely damaged, as is the airport and major infrastructure. The pier will likely not be the first to be fixed as the priority would likely be on the basic public services. WS will likely need to temporarily pick another base which might be San Juan, or St Kitts. St Thomas likely not given damage there. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is anyone who is reading this booked on the transatlantic from Tenerife to Phillipsburgh? If you get any information about Wind Surf being re-routed would you please post a message? Like everyone else, we will need to book new flights. So sad for all those affected everywhere by Irma. We hope Jose will go north and miss the islands. They really do not need another battering/trauma.

We are also booked for Windsurf Nov.18 2017 cruise from St Maarten so any info would be appreciated as air and accommodations have been booked. The area will certainly need the support of tourism to rebuild and survive.

Thanks

Mike

We are also booked for Windsurf Nov.18 2017 cruise from St Maarten so any info would be appreciated as air and accommodations have been booked. The area will certainly need the support of tourism to rebuild and survive.

Thanks

Mike

I'm sure Windstar will be evaluating over the next month or so. It's all too recent and another storm will hit them today. Our air also booked and afraid our lovely hotel on French side is gone. We may lose money on airfare but our homes and lives are in tact, at least for now. We are in eye path of Irma so in 48 hours we could also be homeless. Our beaches and hotels are in grave jeopardy. Send all of us Floridians good karma!

I'm sure Windstar will be evaluating over the next month or so. It's all too recent and another storm will hit them today. Our air also booked and afraid our lovely hotel on French side is gone. We may lose money on airfare but our homes and lives are in tact, at least for now. We are in eye path of Irma so in 48 hours we could also be homeless. Our beaches and hotels are in grave jeopardy. Send all of us Floridians good karma!

Cruise line pick berth space months in advance. If they haven't secured other port yet I don't know what they are thinking!!

I can see the Surf and the Star using Barbados for the rest of the season to better return to SMX next year. Those island needs hammer, drywall, nails, 2x4, not lounge chair and beer bucket for the foreseeable short term.

Good luck for our Floridian friends.

I was just looking at the path and am saddened, last Jan we visited Marigot on the Star Legend and to think of the devastation....:loudcry: along with Jost Van Dyke and all the other ports...looks like Barbados might be their option as their Caribbean itineraries are limited and 2 of the 3 have been wiped out.

Even though seeing the reports that work is beginning and knowing how valuable our tourism dollars are, the possibility of enough being repaired to welcome tourists in the immediate future looks daunting!

Cruise line pick berth space months in advance. If they haven't secured other port yet I don't know what they are thinking!!

I can see the Surf and the Star using Barbados for the rest of the season to better return to SMX next year. Those island needs hammer, drywall, nails, 2x4, not lounge chair and beer bucket for the foreseeable short term.

Good luck for our Floridian friends.

Thanks for the good wishes. We are in well built structures with building codes. We may be inconvenienced but as long as a tornado doesn't spin off and hit our home we will be fine. On the other hand, Hurricane Jose now Cat4 on direct path over same islands that were hit by Irma. If there was anything left there won't be after this one. Terribly sad. They will need money to rebuild and without tourists it will be difficult.

The French and Netherland govt. will take care of the most urgent matter and reconstruction effort. It is after this, that we, tourists, come into play.

"Macron announced Wednesday a “national reconstruction plan” for its overseas territories. He told a news conference it was too early to put an exact figure on the sum needed. “An emergency fund will be set up,” he said." Latimes.

Thanks for the good wishes. We are in well built structures with building codes. We may be inconvenienced but as long as a tornado doesn't spin off and hit our home we will be fine. On the other hand, Hurricane Jose now Cat4 on direct path over same islands that were hit by Irma. If there was anything left there won't be after this one. Terribly sad. They will need money to rebuild and without tourists it will be difficult.

Just want to send you my best wishes.........hope you will be ok.:)

Just want to send you my best wishes.........hope you will be ok.:)

Thanks Lois. We're watching it roll in from the south. Mostly concerned for our daughter and family in Punta Gorda where they will get landfall. We'll get 100 mph wind in Clearwater. Looking forward to sailing somewhere in November!

Hello and Pray for the Islands that need it. I am booked on Windstar Breeze for November 25 and have Airfare booked had Hotel Booked(but cancelled due to total loss in ST MARTEEN). Called Windstar to find out what they are going to do because we are to board in ST MARTEEN and also fly in. I just wonder if they will change boarding port. We disembark in Barbados at the end of the cruise. I just hear that ST MARTEEN is not too safe at the moment and thing it would be feasible to change port. Also other ports to visit have been destroyed.