Sailing on magic 9/27, got a call my room was changed to cat 7a..should I be happy?

Derek King

First time on Disney and had booked this cruise about a year ago and we were in ocean view connecting rooms midship on 2nd floor.

got a call from my TA today that because of maintence they are upgrading us to connecting balconys on deck 6. On the surface sounded great but checking the deck plans rooms 6140 and 6142 are all the way towards back of ship and navigator balconys..

Been on other lines in regular balcony rooms. Checked YouTube for these navigator bals and they seemed kind of odd.

So those that are familiar with these rooms are they really an upgrade from what I had? We are a little concerned about not being midship. Can they really just move me weeks before like this? Should I be asking more forcefully for compensation or better upgrade?

I asked my ta to try to get me midship bals and they said these were the only ones they could get connecting at this time.

Been on ncl, celebrity, princess many times have never had this happen to me before

Thanks

We actually like aft, and we have been all over the ships. The only downside is that you do feel the thrusters while the ship is docking, but that is for a very short time. You went from an oceanview to a balcony. People either love or hate the navigator's balconies, but even if you don't like it, you have a better view and more space than an oceanview. And with the need for connecting cabins, the choices might be limited.

Yes, they absolutely can move you at any time. And no, DCL does not negotiate "compensation" the way Princess and some other lines do. They have given you a more expensive cabin than what you paid for and kept the connecting cabins. Technically, they don't owe you anything. If your TA can negotiate for something midship, that's lovely...but it truly might not be available.

I've been "moved" on DCL and on Princess. DCL has always been a "same level" or an upgrade, so what I got was the room change. That's typically all they offer. If you fuss enough, you might get a small additional token. With Princess, it was a downgrade--they wanted my balcony cabin in order to satisfy a large group of guests, and they made me a good offer to get me to take the downgrade...not as good as I'd read about, but still decent.

I'd take the upgrade and be happy with it. Many people love the Navigator's balconies. They are very private and actually quite nice. No, they are not a "regular" balcony, but they do give outside access and view. And the neighbors can't look in on you like they can on the normal balconies!

The Navigator verandah rooms are actually my favorite on the Magic and Wonder. The odd window balcony is cozy. Another fan of aft staterooms plus if you walk down the stairs one deck you are by the movie theater and if you go up 3 decks there is the buffet. Not all the 7's have the navigator verandah though. A few have a balcony with a little covered corner. Sorry but don't remember which SR# 's they are.

The Navigator verandah rooms are actually my favorite on the Magic and Wonder. The odd window balcony is cozy. Another fan of aft staterooms plus if you walk down the stairs one deck you are by the movie theater and if you go up 3 decks there is the buffet. Not all the 7's have the navigator verandah though. A few have a balcony with a little covered corner. Sorry but don't remember which SR# 's they are.

And there are the slightly obstructed views that book as a 7 (used to bill as a cat 5 or 6 depending on deck). We stayed in one of these, and I probably wouldn't have noticed the "obstruction" if I didn't know to look for it! It was a small piece of metal protruding from the ship an did not interfere with my enjoyment at all. Regardless, this is still a good upgrade for OP, and I think they have the navigator's verandah because they said they have connecting cabins.

i've never stayed in a navigator balcony stateroom, but those balconies do look kinda cute..

i have to agree i would be very annoyed if this happened to me...

but then again, if there is a maintenance issue on deck 2 (or maybe right above it) i certainly wouldn't want to be in a nearby stateroom while they're working on it...

And there are the slightly obstructed views that book as a 7 (used to bill as a cat 5 or 6 depending on deck). We stayed in one of these' date=' and I probably wouldn't have noticed the "obstruction" if I didn't know to look for it! It was a small piece of metal protruding from the ship an did not interfere with my enjoyment at all. Regardless, this is still a good upgrade for OP, and I think they have the navigator's verandah because they said they have connecting cabins.[/quote']

Yes they are definitely the navigator balconies. they seem interesting to me and would be nice to try something new. we have had other regular balconies on other lines before. also it is a Canada/NE cruise so having the sheltered balcony might not be so bad since it won't be the warmest...

We have been in room 6636 on the Magic back in 2011 and have 6136 for our upcoming Med Cruise in 2018. We enjoyed having the navigator balcony back in 2011 since it gave added privacy. I don't remember having any issues with noise and we both liked having easy access (just a few flights of stairs up or down) to the buffet; theatre; and drink station.

Psy

• 2 weeks later...
First time on Disney and had booked this cruise about a year ago and we were in ocean view connecting rooms midship on 2nd floor.

got a call from my TA today that because of maintence they are upgrading us to connecting balconys on deck 6. On the surface sounded great but checking the deck plans rooms 6140 and 6142 are all the way towards back of ship and navigator balconys..

Been on other lines in regular balcony rooms. Checked YouTube for these navigator bals and they seemed kind of odd.

So those that are familiar with these rooms are they really an upgrade from what I had? We are a little concerned about not being midship. Can they really just move me weeks before like this? Should I be asking more forcefully for compensation or better upgrade?

I asked my ta to try to get me midship bals and they said these were the only ones they could get connecting at this time.

Been on ncl, celebrity, princess many times have never had this happen to me before

Thanks

Would you mind sharing which cabin you were moved out of? We will be on deck 2 midship and now I have concerns (re- maintenance). Thanks!