Recommendations for Whale Watching tours in Mexico

rayal8

We just booked a cruise on the Ruby to Mexico for January and sooo excited. We really want to do an tour where we can see whales close up. We are a group of 9, two family and we have kids. Want something that will be fun and possible private. Which port would be the best option to see whales that time of year?

We did a private sailing and whale watching excursion in Cabo and it was incredible . We got so close to whales and even had dolphins swim along side our sailboat.

We even did some snorkeling and lunch and drinks were included . Highly recommend these guys:

https://cabosanlucascruiseexcursions.com/excursions/private-whale-watching-and-coastal-sailing-charter/

I can't really compare to the tours in other ports because we only did it in cabo , but it was awesome [emoji108][emoji108][emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went in Cabo also. We did not book a tour. We walked on to one of the many boats that are available when you arrive on shore. Do NOT let them charge you what they ask at first. They are inexpensive but will take what you pay. We paid 25.00 a person and the couple that went with us paid 80.00 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took the Ruby to Mexico in February. In Puerto Vallarta, my wife and I did the whale watch by zodiac boat (PVR-640, about $100pp if I remember correctly). See Cruise-431 for photos from that excursion (arrow-right to flip through, photos 431-461 were taken during that excursion). In Cabo, my wife and I, plus my dad, did the whale watch that wasn't on a zodiac (SJD-640, about $60pp IIRC). We picked that one over the whale watch by zodiac on the assumption my mom would also join us, but she stayed on the ship for medical reasons. This one was disappointing: the boat isn't as nimble to "chase" the whales (I understand and respect the laws; I'm more referring to just general mobility and steerage), there was an open bar for the basics and cash bar for the better stuff, music playing whenever there wasn't narration, and not nearly as good of a view. We ended up on the third deck, and our photos suffered because of it. Had I known mom wasn't going to tag along, I would have switched us all to the zodiac offering in Cabo instead. See Cruise-521 for our photos (arrow-right to scroll through, photos 521-554 are from that excursion).

If you choose the zodiac, be aware that it's bumpy. You won't bounce out, but it is bumpy. Smoothest ride is towards the rear; be at the front of the line to get best choice of seats. Please don't be like the idiot who was across from me with known spinal issues; he spent much of the trip groaning, taking controlled breaths, and getting "loved upon" by his wife. (I feel somewhat justified in calling him an idiot, because he was oblivious to the fact that the back of the boat was the smoothest ride.) You may also encounter some folks who get seasick; one on our boat apparently asked the captain "where do I get sick?" and I love his reply: "not anywhere in my boat!"

If you want truly private, call up the operators you see in the photos and ask if you can buy out a boat. Honestly, they're small enough that with 9 people, you'll probably have a third of the boat already.

I've done several whale watching tours in Cabo. Worst were with Princess because they filled the boat and it was hard to see anything much less take a photo because of overcrowding. Photographers also stood in the way so they could take the photos and sell them to you.

Best whale watch I've taken has been with Whale Watch Cabo. Small boat with a cover, expert photographer and dozens of photos are included. http://whalewatchcabo.com

dfada507b4deec7166299e05a070759a.jpg

Unfortunately these private vendors are breaking the law being this close, certainly they cannot help it if the whales surfaces right in front of their boat but from this photo "seeing" 3 boats this close makes one wonder.....also this appears to be a calf....tooo close...

If I am not mistaken they are suppose to stay 100 feet away...so photos like this are the exception not the rule.

We have done 2 excursions in Cabo both during "whale season" both times we spend most of our excursion searching for whales thankfully as time was almost up pods were spotted, but we had to maintain a distance. Both times we were in a Zodiac, no photographers were on our 16 man zodiacs..

http://rabenmexico.org/en/mexican-whale-watching-regulation/#

One of our experiences was booked with Princess......I was pleased they put safety of the mammals and their pax first, we had a very positive experience with the vendor the ship chose.

Edited by land lover

If you are looking for a private whale watching tour in Puerto Vallarta we would suggest directly contacting (via e-mail) Superior Tours (Superiortoursvallarta.com). They are an excellent local tour agency who routinely runs their own whale watching tours. We are certain that the owner (and staff) will be able to accommodate your wishes or suggest a decent alternative. They actually have their own Marine Biologist on staff.

Hank

I've done several whale watching tours in Cabo. Worst were with Princess because they filled the boat and it was hard to see anything much less take a photo because of overcrowding. Photographers also stood in the way so they could take the photos and sell them to you.

Best whale watch I've taken has been with Whale Watch Cabo. Small boat with a cover, expert photographer and dozens of photos are included. http://whalewatchcabo.com

I have to agree with Pam. They are great. A marine biologist gives the tour. They take great pictures that are then posted on their website. You don't have to spend your time taking lousy pictures. As I recall ten or less people on the ponga. Price was right too.

We also did the Princess zodiac boat tour whilst in PV on our last MR cruise in Feb 16. The captain found a mother and calf and killed the engine and we hung around from a distance for a while just observing. After about 30 mins, the calf got curious and swim past the boat a few times with the mother in close attendance. Next thing we know, the calf comes right up to the boat, slaps a flipper and splashes everyone in the boat! ;) definitely the highlight of that cruise.

We also did a larger boat when in Cabo later that cruise and we saw about 20 whales that morning. The only other excursion we've done whilst in Cabo on a cruise was the luxury day sail. It was a fun trip and I can only imagine how much better it would have been during whale watching season.

A read of this thread would suggest that someone with back problems may be better off on a 'bigger' boat rather than a zodiac? I've just been diagnosed with neck and back problems and the last thing I want to do is to 'set off' the pains that I occasionally suffer from.

Perhaps then I would be better off paying the premium of booking a ship excursion.

Your thoughts please.

OP: you will be in Cabo during the heart of the whale migration season. We did a tour this past February with Whale Watch Cabo, and I can't say enough good things about them. A truly first rate operation. They have small boats with covers, and they limit the guests to 10 adults. I love zodiacs, but having that cover in the hot sun was quite welcome. There is no need for a zodiac when you have a small, fast boat like this.

We really lucked out on the morning of of our tour. We encountered a mama humpback teaching her three-week old calf how to breach. It was awesome to watch. The calf could only get so far out of the water; then mama showed the calf how a full vertical breach is done.

Here's the calf:

enhance

enhanceenhance

(photos by turtles06)

• 1 month later...

We will be on the Grand in January. How far is the Whale Watch Cabo from where the tender boat lands? Is it walkable?

Thanks!!