Caught between HAL and Princess

Andisue49

Has anyone been on both partial transits.? It’s so difficult to make a choice. I’d appreciate any feedback that could help direct our choice.Were active, over 65 , experienced cruisers. Our passion is snorkeling. Thanks for any info.

While I am not a snorkeler, would think the best opportunities for snorkeling would be on any of the stops in the ABC islands and Grand Cayman. Places like Cartagena, the Canal, and Limon... not so good. As far as which cruise line, I think either would do a good job, it would really boil down to your preferences with each. Have you taken any cruise with either?

One other thing to add to your indecision on which cruise line... with Princess you will have to choose if you want to go through the original locks on the Island Princess or the new expanded locks on the Caribbean Princess. That may influence your selection.

I would choose HAL Zuiderdam because she has a wrap around promenade deck. Island had one until they removed it and a lounge to add cabins. While many people think they can see it all from their balcony, you miss sooo much if you stay put there. You need to be able to move around as the scene changes. EM

• 1 month later...

I've done partial transits on Zuiderdam and Coral Princess. Both were excellent. I prefer the Coral Princess ship as it is a little smaller and I prefer the layout. Both cruises were excellent and I would recommend either one

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
I've done partial transits on Zuiderdam and Coral Princess. Both were excellent. I prefer the Coral Princess ship as it is a little smaller and I prefer the layout. Both cruises were excellent and I would recommend either one

Did the Zuiderdam have lectures about the Canal and other cultural aspects of the trip?

I tend to lean toward Princess because our Alaska cruise had such great explanatory lectures and commentary. Would be grateful to hear about the comparison on that aspect.

And I agree--we love the cozy size of the Coral Princess.

Did the Zuiderdam have lectures about the Canal and other cultural aspects of the trip?

I tend to lean toward Princess because our Alaska cruise had such great explanatory lectures and commentary. Would be grateful to hear about the comparison on that aspect.

And I agree--we love the cozy size of the Coral Princess.

When we went on the Zuiderdam two years ago they did have lectures. It is also televised in your room. Very informative. We have the same planned again for March 2019. Love the zuiderdam mainly as someone stated above, the wrap around area for viewing was awesome and as I looked at Princess they did not have that.

• 6 months later...

We have just started looking at this - HAL v Princess for a partial with extended family (ages 6 on up to 70). It sounds like HAL ship is more likely to have a good promenade for viewing, but I’d be concerned about kids on HAL? No one in our group has cruises on either before (just carnival and RCI). Thanks for any further input!

Which Princess are you looking at?  Coral or Island.  Both of the Princess ships have excellent viewing areas, but Coral is better since she still has aft viewing, whereas Island took that space to add more suites.  EM

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

In addition to the Prom Deck, Coral & Island also have the decks out fwd below the Bridge. Best place for viewing progress through the canal.

Many, including us, feel the bow is the best place, at least for one set of locks. Does Princess open their bow? HAL does.

The other great place to be is the Promenade Deck for a lock procedure. Really gives you an amazing idea of how the system works, and how tight it is in the locks.

On 2/6/2019 at 1:39 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Many, including us, feel the bow is the best place, at least for one set of locks. Does Princess open their bow? HAL does.

In all my years with Princess I don't recall seeing pax on the bow, as on many ships this is a crew deck