[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:30 PM.
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Host Sharon
Sorry folks, I can't believe I'm off on another cruise and haven't reported in from the last one! Iceland and Greenland were wonderful. The weather was so good we were able to transit Prins Christian Sund, the captain doing a 360 turn in front of the glaciers. The only downside of 20C in Qaqortoq were the dreadful mozzies who ignored my repellent and even bit us through several layers of clothing. Iceland was so beautiful with vast lava fields covered in mosses and wild lupins.
Lots of wildlife such as puffins and whales - one show-off performed breach after breach - around 9 times in all - as we left Isafjordur.
NYC and Canada next week for a month with lots of new ports such as Sept Iles and Charlottetown.
Hope everyone is ok. Marion - Fram to Greenland sounds fab.
ps: My world cruise book Chasing the Dawn is finally on Amazon pre-order.
Pleased to hear that your Iceland and Greenland cruise was wonderful and now you are off on yet another one of Canada and US for a month. Which ship are you cruising on next? I hope I get to see some whales and puffins. I love those cute little birds. I have a variety of mossie repellents to pack - one I bought in NZ for their mozzies/midges which were like little helicopters, so hope one works. I heard from Canadians Avon Skin So Soft works.

I got my Fram book via email today, so am getting excited about my pending cruises. I have all new ports in Greenland and Labrador, plus some new ones in Canada and USA.

Well Done having your world cruise book Chasing the Dawn available to pre order.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Ruby - Are you rained out? Saw on news bad flooding in Texas, including loss of life.

Donald - Are the bushfires still burning?

Floods and fires! Here it was 27c yesterday and it is only Spring. I fear we are going to have a hot and humid summer here this year, as so many places in the Northern Hemisphere had an extra hot summer.

Tennis - Just followed the Women's Doubles Final scores on the internet. Thrilled to see Ash Barty and her American partner won an exciting match - woohoo! The game started at 3 am here. Now the Men's Final is on live on local TV from 6 am. I'll be in Tennis Withdrawal after today.

Did you see that the North West Passage is currently closed to three cruise ships, including Hurigruten's Fram, which I will be cruising with from Greenland on 22/9? The current North West Passage cruise, departing 10/9, is a work in progress, as a new route has had to be planned, including a port of departure. Fortunately, my cruise will be heading south from Greenland.

Sharon - I hope you are enjoying a wonderful cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
2,558 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Two days ago BC started having rain and cooler temperatures, so I imagine that some or most of the wildfires have or are fizzling out.

Weather-wise, Vancouver set only one high record so far this year, 25.1 on May 14 which broke the record for the day of 25.0 in 1973. Last Thursday we had a high of 27.1, just under the record of 27.2 in 1944. With the rain Vancouver's temperatures are back to normal. This year's hottest day was 29.0 (84.2F) on August 10, but fortunately David and I were away in Alaska.

I will also have Tennis Withdrawal. The Djokovic-Del Potro match started on TV at 1 pm, and I am watching it. I watched the last ten or 15 minutes of the women's doubles match. You must be a really die-hard tennis fan to watch matches at 3 am and 6 am.

Donald.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed itineraries (67): Alaska (33), Mexican Riviera (16), Caribbean (7), Hawaii (4), Panama Canal (3), Pacific Northwest (2), New England/Canada (1), Transatlantic (1)

Cruise lines (67): Celebrity (39), Holland America (11), Royal Caribbean (7), NCL (3), Carnival (2), Princess (2), other (3)

Next Eclipse 2019 June 2 (Alaska); Eclipse 2019 August 18 (Alaska).
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Kapricorn
Two days ago BC started having rain and cooler temperatures, so I imagine that some or most of the wildfires have or are fizzling out.
Weather-wise, Vancouver set only one high record so far this year, 25.1 on May 14 which broke the record for the day of 25.0 in 1973. Last Thursday we had a high of 27.1, just under the record of 27.2 in 1944. With the rain Vancouver's temperatures are back to normal. This year's hottest day was 29.0 (84.2F) on August 10, but fortunately David and I were away in Alaska.
I will also have Tennis Withdrawal. The Djokovic-Del Potro match started on TV at 1 pm, and I am watching it. I watched the last ten or 15 minutes of the women's doubles match. You must be a really die-hard tennis fan to watch matches at 3 am and 6 am.
Donald.
Pleased your bushfires are fizzling out. I was shocked when NSW had bad bushfires in winter.

Yes, I love watching tennis. Aussies are used to staying up late/getting up early to watch the tennis live (plus lots of other overseas played sports). I can't stay up late, but I can get up early and then stay up. I had to follow the live scores on the internet, because the match wasn't shown on free to air tv here, now that is a really die hard tennis fan, as you miss all the atmosphere. I'm now enjoying watching the Men's Final on TV, so much better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,050 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
About the NY Open tennis women's final- I am so irritated with myself that I missed the fireworks of the finals with Serena. I had to piece together the extant news videos to figure out what happened. But it is important to salute Naome Osaka for her magnificent victory against all odds.
About telly watching - it is fun in my retirement to observe whatever sleep/wake hours I want. What a luxury.
Digression - Ccritic has chosen to use Times New Roman for its default font. TNR and Courier are ancient fonts, used in the beginning of modern fonts for e-devices. I grew tired of both these fonts years ago and now I have to change the font every time I post on CCritic. I wish they would revert to Verdana as the default choice.
By the bye, I stumbled on our original Greenland/Saga Ruby thread from 2007. I had forgotten that we had almost 500,000 Views. Wow.
Ruby
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Saga Ruby
About the NY Open tennis women's final- I am so irritated with myself that I missed the fireworks of the finals with Serena. I had to piece together the extant news videos to figure out what happened. But it is important to salute Naome Osaka for her magnificent victory against all odds.
About telly watching - it is fun in my retirement to observe whatever sleep/wake hours I want. What a luxury.
Digression - Ccritic has chosen to use Times New Roman for its default font. TNR and Courier are ancient fonts, used in the beginning of modern fonts for e-devices. I grew tired of both these fonts years ago and now I have to change the font every time I post on CCritic. I wish they would revert to Verdana as the default choice.
By the bye, I stumbled on our original Greenland/Saga Ruby thread from 2007. I had forgotten that we had almost 500,000 Views. Wow.
Ruby
NY Times has an excellent article on Naomi Osaka. The two sisters were brought up to play tennis like the Williams Sisters - playing tennis from a young age during the day, being home schooled at night. The father was very clever registering them to play for Japan, where huge financial support is available. I think the photographer who captured a single tear flowing down Naomi's cheek, from under her tennis visor, should win a photographic award. That single shot captured the sadness of the occasion, where all the attention was on Serena, who was her idol, not on Naomi, who had just won her first Grand Slam.

WOW Do you remember your visit to Greenland in 2007? From memory, I'll be visiting five places in Greenland and four in Labrador, all new to me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,050 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
In digging back thru my memory of Greenland, I have a few comments about sights (sites).
Evidently we lucked out and were able to sail south down river from our polar bear sightings Magadalena Bay. There was a lively discussion about whether the natives in Qaa-toq would allow us to land. After brisk negotiations with the locals, our Captain sent 7 crates of whiskey and 5 large trays of sweets in a tender at which point we were allowed to visit this oh-so-remote village.
The mosquitoes/flies were horrendous; it's hard to wander in a schoolyard while being attacked by literally swarms of insects.
But my takeaway memory is standing at the stern of the ship as we reached the southern coast of Greenland. Behind us, a small iceberg floated. It was a perfect copy of the Pieta in Rome; the Virgin Mary holding Jesus in her lap, head down, grief.
Climate change was beginning to affect that area which is why I went. I will be interested to hear what you see and enjoy on your cruise. When do you leave?
Caution - on our cruise, balding men were told to wear caps onshore; the arctic tern will attack the scalp and try to harvest random strands of hair. And in the small local villages, the locals are so happy to welcome tourists to their gift shops.
Ruby
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
In digging back thru my memory of Greenland, I have a few comments about sights (sites).
Evidently we lucked out and were able to sail south down river from our polar bear sightings Magadalena Bay. There was a lively discussion about whether the natives in Qaa-toq would allow us to land. After brisk negotiations with the locals, our Captain sent 7 crates of whiskey and 5 large trays of sweets in a tender at which point we were allowed to visit this oh-so-remote village.
The mosquitoes/flies were horrendous; it's hard to wander in a schoolyard while being attacked by literally swarms of insects.
But my takeaway memory is standing at the stern of the ship as we reached the southern coast of Greenland. Behind us, a small iceberg floated. It was a perfect copy of the Pieta in Rome; the Virgin Mary holding Jesus in her lap, head down, grief.
Climate change was beginning to affect that area which is why I went. I will be interested to hear what you see and enjoy on your cruise. When do you leave?
Caution - on our cruise, balding men were told to wear caps onshore; the arctic tern will attack the scalp and try to harvest random strands of hair. And in the small local villages, the locals are so happy to welcome tourists to their gift shops.
Ruby
Ruby - Thanks for your comments on Greenland. Looks like I lost my response, so I'll try again.

Everyone has warned me about the mosquitos, so I'm taking my supply of strong stuff, to make sure something works. Our adventure cruise starts from day one, when we take a small 8 seat Polar Kirkel boat from the Kangerlussuaq Quay to the ship. No doubt, whilst waiting, the mosses will have a field day, with all the new blood off the charter plane. My cruise departs on 22/9, after a charter flight from Copenhagen.

I can just picture that beautiful iceberg. I love the colours. I was so thrilled to see small icebergs coming ashore in northern Newfoundland, as well as passing large icebergs in Antarctica. I'll have to refresh my memory re names of various size icebergs.

I'll be visiting five places in Greenland and four in Labrador, which I haven't visited before. Another place on my wish list, are the French islands, St Pierre and Miquelon, off the south of Newfoundland. We drove to where the ferry leaves Newfoundland, but didn't go across.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,050 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
. . . we take a small 8 seat Polar Kirkel boat from the Kangerlussuaq Quay . . .
I tried to look up that Kirkel boat but didn'tbelieve what I was seeing. Surely you don't approach your ship in an open "canoe" while sitting on slats? Does your luggage go ahead? Remind me of the name of your ship?
I have not been to Labrador; bring back details please. And one of the few places I missed was the Bay of Fundy in Canada. Conte sez it ain't no thang, but I wish I could have seen the massive tide roll back the river every day. I'm a fan of water displays wherever they occur.
Ruby
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
. . . we take a small 8 seat Polar Kirkel boat from the Kangerlussuaq Quay . . .
I tried to look up that Kirkel boat but didn'tbelieve what I was seeing. Surely you don't approach your ship in an open "canoe" while sitting on slats? Does your luggage go ahead? Remind me of the name of your ship?
I have not been to Labrador; bring back details please. And one of the few places I missed was the Bay of Fundy in Canada. Conte sez it ain't no thang, but I wish I could have seen the massive tide roll back the river every day. I'm a fan of water displays wherever they occur.
Ruby
The ship is Hurtigruten's Fram. Hurtigruten uses special zodiacs with handles, called Polar Kirkels. You can google Hurtigruten cruise departing 22/9 from Kangerlussuaq, Greenland for the itinerary of "The Untouched Beauty of Greenland, Newfoundland and Labrador". Then I'm doing B2B "Coastal Gems of America Southbound - 2018".

I agree with you that the change of tide at Bay of Fundy in Canada is something special to see. We enjoyed watching the small boats waiting to go up river with the change of the tide.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion