National Geographic Arctic Cruise

My husband and I are about to book a cruise for June to the Arctic with Lindblad on the Explorer. Looking for general feedback on the cruise. Also any information on cabins in class 3 and 4. Special clothing needed. Thanks for your help.:)

We haven't done the cruise yet... We're booked on the 6/4/2016 Svalbard trip. The Lindblad website has a complete list of recommended clothing. My wife looks particularly fetching in her new Bogs insulated boots. Other similar sartorial treats await you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm booked on the Epic 80* North trip in August.

Really study the recommended clothing list, they do a good job of laying out what you will need. And believe them when they say long waterproof boots - they aren't kidding! Also a waterproof outer layer will help you a lot with cold wind in addition to rain. After those things, you want lots of light layers. Silk and merino wool long underwear, and a light wool hat to go under your other clothes and hats or hoods will add a surprising amount of warmth.

I've never cruised in a category 3 or 4, so I can't comment on that. The category 2 cabins are nice. They aren't roomy by any means, but there is enough storage to function and the supplied hair dryer is adequate for my stupidly thick hair.

• 5 months later...

I just got home from my trip;

You do absolutely need water proof pants, jacket, and boots. Make sure those boots have decent arch support - you will be hiking in them. I brought cheap mud boots and my feet really paid the price.

Also, and this surprised me, bring a few short sleeved shirts. Everybody in my hiking group was roasting one day. It was 40* and we were all stripped down as far as we could be and sweating freely.

I used light gloves underneath big water resistant mittens, and that combination worked really well.

Be prepared with a pair of sweatpants to pull on while you race outside at 1 am because the Nothern Lights are dancing. (No, you will not be the only one in socks, pajamas, and a coat clutching a camera.)

A pair of long johns and yoga pants underneath my waterproof pants worked really well.

There are no formal nights and no expectations to dress for dinner.

The phrase "it might get bouncy tonight" means you should put the cameras, binoculars, and other electronics on the floor and take your seasickness remedy of choice. We only had one run in with high seas, but my sister's camera was broken when it fell off of the desk.

Have fun! I'm already figuring out how to get back up there.