Pacaya Volcano Hike

Beachlover1989

I tried posting this in the Guatemala forum but I don't think many people read that. We are scheduled to climb the Pacaya Volcano through a shore excursion with Celebrity when we're in Guatemala. Has anyone done this or something similar and can tell us what to expect? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did it through Royal and if their description would have been anywhere near accurate, I probably would have chosen something else. The description said it was a 1.4 kilometer walk to the volcano. Heck that isn't even a mile... no problem, I walk 2.5 miles for exercise every day. To make the story shorter, the real story is the 1.4 kilometer was not the distance of the walk but how much higher you had to climb from the base camp. We went on the bus from the port to the base camp which was about 2200' elevation. The on foot part was from the base camp up to and across the caldera and then back down the other side. All total it was a little over 8 miles on foot. The caldera was around 7000' elevation where we roasted marshmallows on one of the vents of the volcano... nice sulfur undertones. Full disclosure, upon leaving the base camp there were a bunch of guys leading horses that followed along with our group. As members of the group started to fade, the guys with horses were there to provide a one horsepower assist! I watched a number of fellow cruisers them take advantage of the horse. I held out for awhile and then caved in not wanting to make it a real miserable day, so I took a horse before they were all gone! The cost, $30. The horse could only take you to the top just before you walked across the caldera. When you got to the top they had to lead the horses around a different way as the horses could not walk through all the pumice in the caldera... it was almost like walking on ice. Very slippery under your feet, I guess it was about a mile and a half across the caldera until I was reunited with my trusty steed.

I enjoyed the day after it was over, glad I did it, but I would not do again.

They must have had water, I don't recall being thirsty at all. There were no snacks other than the sulfur laced, marshmallows. Included in the cost of the excursion was a stop at a restaurant on the way back to the ship. It was a nice sit down meal at a decent place, several things to pick from included beverage... beer/spirits were extra.

• 1 month later...

I did a tour from a hotel about 6 years ago to this Volcano. We took the horses which weren't in the best shape and they were slipping on the terrain. Then when you get to a certain point you have to climb on your own. The path was step, slippery and seemed unsafe. The elevation bothered my Aunt, so I ended up sitting with her on a picnic table but I don't think it is that safe for being 2 women on your own. A man from the side of the mountain started skulking around, but luckily the tour guide sent back another guide from the top to stay with us and then we were ok. My sisters soles of her sneakers melted some on the heat of the volcano . About 2 weeks after our return the Volcano had an eruption and a couple of people died. I would never go to this Volcano again!