“free air”

lanzie99

If you are based in the UK and are taking a European cruise, from, for example, Rome, do you get a discount off the cruise fare if you choose to make your own flight arrangements leaving Viking out of the equation?

Sent from the magic box!

Simple answer is 'YES'. We are flying into Barcelona and home from Rome in November. We decided we would add on an extra couple of days in Rome. We didn't want to do the Viking Rome extension, we know a lovely hotel near the main station and wanted 'to do our own thing'. I researched suitable flights, then rang Viking and asked if they would give us a discount for arranging our own flights, expecting the answer to be no. Joy of joys, they allowed us £150 each and I had priced the flights at just over £100 each.

Yes we will have to sort our won transfers out, but it is very easy in Barcelona, aerobus from the airport then a taxi to the port. In Civitavechia a taxi to the station then train to Rome.

Obviously if there is a delay in the outward flight we are a bit on our own, but as the ship is in port over night I can't see there being too much of a problem.

I have to say that I don’t understand why so many people fret about the transfers. We have found that it’s not that difficult to get a taxi at an airport. If we are staying in a hotel, I always ask if they can make arrangements. I’ve found that most will do so at a fairly reasonable price. Also Viator does bookings for airport transfers.

The Viking transfers are nice to have, but there are so many other options.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to say that I don’t understand why so many people fret about the transfers. We have found that it’s not that difficult to get a taxi at an airport. ...

Totally agree. I find doing it yourself is way easier. No worry about "meeting" up with somebody. And if a bus, no waiting for it to fill up, or Aunt Lucy to finally arrive. If you decide to sit down for a minute in the airport - no big deal. When leaving hotel, you are not forced to show up un the lobby at 10am for a bus that does not leave until 11am, or worse.

Sure, you handle your own bags on your own. We actually prefer to do that.

About the only extra think you might need to do is to write down the name of the hotel and address in the local language.