Shareholder benefit on Viking?

Escaper

• 1 year later...
If you marry into the Hagen family...you get to use the Owner's Suite.

Hahaha. Good one Jazzbeau. And as to the "loyalty programs" as on HAL, Viking could hardly be farther from HAL. Having sailed both, the only similarity to me is that they both float......:o

On Princess, we get a modest OBC for having shares in Princess' parent corp. Does Viking have anything like that available?

Thanks!

Steve

If you pay for your Viking Cruise by e check you will earn 3.3 percent which is a Great Deal.!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you pay for your Viking Cruise by e check you will earn 3.3 percent which is a Great Deal.!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is certainly better than the % back I would get if I used my credit card (only 1.25%). However, if your credit card company is giving you more than 3.3% back on this transaction, then maybe you should consider using the credit card. Do the math!

I'm on the mailing list and have never seen a solicitation for a credit card.

We have a cruise booked - 2 actually - and there is a link to apply for one. It showed up about a month or so ago. I didn’t investigate because I’m not looking for another credit card at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Originally posted by mander2 Does viking cruise lines have a cedit card with a reward system similar to princess an HAL?

"I'm on the mailing list and have never seen a solicitation for a credit card." - Perigrina621

Perigrina621 and meander2.

As Cyber Kat has stated there is a Viking Visa card. It does have benefits/credits for users including points and $$ rewards for applying (and being accepted) by their 3rd party provider. Since no one had ever talked about a Viking credit card before, we thought we would mention it as a somewhat "hidden" Viking benefit.

Senior Gators

Edited by Senior Gators

Originally posted by mander2 Does viking cruise lines have a cedit card with a reward system similar to princess an HAL?

"I'm on the mailing list and have never seen a solicitation for a credit card." - Perigrina621

Perigrina621 and meander2.

As Cyber Kat has stated there is a Viking Visa card. It does have benefits/credits for users including points and $$ rewards for applying (and being accepted) by their 3rd party provider. Since no one had ever talked about a Viking credit card before, we thought we would mention it as a somewhat "hidden" Viking benefit.

Senior Gators

Do you have a link for the credit card? I tried googling it but could only find an announcement.

It is certainly better than the % back I would get if I used my credit card (only 1.25%). However, if your credit card company is giving you more than 3.3% back on this transaction, then maybe you should consider using the credit card. Do the math!

I did the math exercise when we booked the WC about 3 months ago, as the 3.3% was rather inviting. On our primary Visa we get 1 RBC Avion point for every $ spent, which we then convert to British Airways, receiving 1.3 BA miles for each point.

Calculating the cost of flights with cash and using the points received for the cruise, I found that we were significantly ahead using Visa.

Must admit I was surprised, as I figured the 3.3% cash discount would have been a greater benefit.

Viking's VISA Credit Card applications: (855) 300-4662 (Call-in unless pre-selected from paying balances with a CC)

Register/Online access/Benefits: https://comenity.net/vikingvisa

Notes...No annual fee...For new bookings only...understood cannot earn rewards for existing cruise balances on CC (that's where the real $$$ is) . I suppose we can book a cruise on the ship and use this card (instead of our Marriott VISA) and get the whopping $100 shipboard credit; then pay the balance with eCheck as usual to save 3.3%. Also spend $1000 in the next 90 days on gas, etc, which is real easy for the easy $100. 5000 pts. receive $50 reward toward a NEW Viking booking.

For no annual fee, how can you beat having Credit Card with a picture of a Viking Cruise Ship? hahaha!

Viking Visa® Credit Card exclusives

• 3 POINTS for every $1 spent on qualifying Viking purchases*
  • 2 POINTS for every $1 spent on gas & grocery purchases**
  • 1 POINT for every $1 spent everywhere else Visa is accepted

Earn SHIPBOARD CREDITS***:

• $100 SHIPBOARD CREDIT upon your first qualifying Viking purchase within the first 90 days of account opening
  • $100 SHIPBOARD CREDIT when you spend $1,000 on qualifying non-Viking purchases within the first 90 days of account opening

Do you have a link for the credit card? I tried googling it but could only find an announcement.

Peregrina,

The credit card is offered by Comenity Bank and their link is:

d.comenity.net.

However, when I used that link it seemed to be for those who had already established a credit card account with them; there wasn't any link to apply for a new credit card.

I went back to Viking's web site and retraced the steps taken to find the page that got me to their Visa application site. It is a bit convoluted and I am sure someone smarter than me could find a better/shorter way to get there.

But given that caveat, here are the steps that I followed:

1. Go to My Trip on the Viking web site

2. Go to My Viking Journey

3. Select the Welcome tab

4. Select My Account

5. Select My Profile

6. Scroll to the bottom of the page

7. Select Viking Visa credit card, "Apply now for the Viking Visa credit card." Upon selecting this option, you leave Viking's site and are in Comenity Bank's web site.

8. Select Begin Application tab.

You can see the benefits of the Viking Visa credit card but there was no listing of costs associated with with card membership such as annual percentage, annual fees, late fees or minimum monthly payments. All are things that I would want to see before making application for a credit card.

Reading back over my inelegant response, I hope that this is helpful. It certainly doesn't seem to measure up to the high standards for comments and answers that are provided by you, Peregrina.

Senior Gators (Richard)

Peregrina,

d.comenity.net.

However, when I used that link it seemed to be for those who had already established a credit card account with them; there wasn't any link to apply for a new credit card.

I went back to Viking's web site and retraced the steps taken to find the page that got me to their Visa application site. It is a bit convoluted and I am sure someone smarter than me could find a better/shorter way to get there.

4. Select My Account

5. Select My Profile

7. Select Viking Visa credit card, "Apply now for the Viking Visa credit card." Upon selecting this option, you leave Viking's site and are in Comenity Bank's web site.

You can see the benefits of the Viking Visa credit card but there was no listing of costs associated with with card membership such as annual percentage, annual fees, late fees or minimum monthly payments. All are things that I would want to see before making application for a credit card.

Reading back over my inelegant response, I hope that this is helpful. It certainly doesn't seem to measure up to the high standards for comments and answers that are provided by you, Peregrina.

Senior Gators (Richard)

Yes, that's correct. We just booked another cruise and while checking my info on MVJ I noticed section Apply for Viking Visa Card. I don't need another card so didn't look further.

Peregrina,

d.comenity.net.

4. Select My Account

5. Select My Profile

Senior Gators (Richard)

Richard, thanks for the details, I found the link. Very helpful!

You really do need to read the fine print on this rewards program before you sign up. It is quite restrictive, the savings are minimal for all the hoops you have to jump through and points expire after so many months, among other things. Rewards can only be used to book new cruises and then only through the special phone number (although, as I read it, you can use the card to pay off existing cruise balances and earn points towards the rewards). There seem to be limits on how many $50 certificates you can earn in a billing cycle ("The current Reward Level 5,000 Points (5,000 Points = $50 Reward Certificate) per billing cycle. "), which means that the most you can earn is $600 per year (and honestly, between booking on board and the 3.3% savings for e-check, we saved more than we could have with the $50 reward certificates). It has been interesting to to do the math but thinking for now that I will stick with what's in my wallet.

Richard, thanks for the details, I found the link. Very helpful!

You really do need to read the fine print on this rewards program before you sign up. It is quite restrictive, the savings are minimal for all the hoops you have to jump through and points expire after so many months, among other things. Rewards can only be used to book new cruises and then only through the special phone number (although, as I read it, you can use the card to pay off existing cruise balances and earn points towards the rewards). There seem to be limits on how many $50 certificates you can earn in a billing cycle ("The current Reward Level 5,000 Points (5,000 Points = $50 Reward Certificate) per billing cycle. "), which means that the most you can earn is $600 per year (and honestly, between booking on board and the 3.3% savings for e-check, we saved more than we could have with the $50 reward certificates). It has been interesting to to do the math but thinking for now that I will stick with what's in my wallet.

Peregrina, you have again provided much sage advice and information. You are recognized by many of us as an "authority" on all things Viking. It is gratifying that I could provide you with a tidbit that you didn't already know. It is just a small pay back for all the information you have graciously given to me and so many others here on Cruise Critic. Thank you.

Senior Gators (Richard)

Peregrina,

d.comenity.net.

4. Select My Account

5. Select My Profile

Senior Gators (Richard)

Thank you, that worked

I did the math exercise when we booked the WC about 3 months ago, as the 3.3% was rather inviting. On our primary Visa we get 1 RBC Avion point for every $ spent, which we then convert to British Airways, receiving 1.3 BA miles for each point.

Calculating the cost of flights with cash and using the points received for the cruise, I found that we were significantly ahead using Visa.

Must admit I was surprised, as I figured the 3.3% cash discount would have been a greater benefit.

In the States I use my Chase Sapphire card and say a $10,000 trip is planned . That converts to 20,000 points (not miles) and that is worth 204 dollars.

The 10,000 cost to Viking is a 330 dollar saving.

I don't post much, so I hesitate to push new buttons like the "+ (multi-quote button) because I'm not sure what it does.

Anyway, everyone's situation is different and the new Viking VISA card will work for us short term since the timing is right for the next 90 days & we cruise in 79 days. There is 0 annual fee. We can book a few optional Viking excursions on the card and make non-Viking purchases for a total $400 shipboard credit. We're not interested in the rewards points that expire in 36 months, but will keep an eye on them. Our main benefits come from booking onboard (bonus discount of $400/pp for a 13-15 day cruise, and shipboard credit of $500/stateroom for booking future voyages)....all subject to change, but currently pretty good.

Peregrina, you have again provided much sage advice and information. You are recognized by many of us as an "authority" on all things Viking. It is gratifying that I could provide you with a tidbit that you didn't already know. It is just a small pay back for all the information you have graciously given to me and so many others here on Cruise Critic. Thank you.

Senior Gators (Richard)

Richard, thank you for your kind words but you have me blushing. I don't know everything about Viking, as I have proven many times, and I am one among many who share their knowledge here.