Tortola Excursion Question

Le1Anne

We are on the Norwegian Bliss January 2019. One of the stops is Tortola and I'm trying to figure out what to do there. We want a relaxing, fun day and love the water so I'm considering a catamaran that goes to Norman Island and The Caves. We're looking at Kuralu Charters. They have great reviews on Trip Advisor but wondering if anyone on here has went with them? Also, is going to Jost Van Dyke an option from where the Bliss will dock in port? I'm assuming some things will be rebuilt from the hurricanes by then.

Thanks for everyone's help.

We are on the Norwegian Bliss January 2019. One of the stops is Tortola and I'm trying to figure out what to do there. We want a relaxing, fun day and love the water so I'm considering a catamaran that goes to Norman Island and The Caves. We're looking at Kuralu Charters. They have great reviews on Trip Advisor but wondering if anyone on here has went with them? Also, is going to Jost Van Dyke an option from where the Bliss will dock in port? I'm assuming some things will be rebuilt from the hurricanes by then.

By far, our favorite excursion was on Tortola. We did a kayak/sup board through mangroves that I found on Tripadvisor. Awesome and small group, just our family of 5 and another family of 4. We went to a section where jellyfish covered the sea floor just under us and we could hold the jellyfish. A catamaran would be really nice too - as long as you do it through TripAdvisor. I would stay away from the cruise ship excursions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are also going to be on the Bliss January 12, 2019 sailing and am looking for the same info. Thanks, I'll follow along.

By far, our favorite excursion was on Tortola. We did a kayak/sup board through mangroves that I found on Tripadvisor. Awesome and small group, just our family of 5 and another family of 4. We went to a section where jellyfish covered the sea floor just under us and we could hold the jellyfish. A catamaran would be really nice too - as long as you do it through TripAdvisor. I would stay away from the cruise ship excursions.

Thank you so much. I stay away from the cruise ship excursions also. TripAdvisor is my go-to.

LeAnne

• 1 month later...

Your idea of a cat sail to NI and the Indians is an excellent one, especially for what you are looking for. And Kuralu is one of a few excellent outfits.Jost is to the west of your port in Road Town and the only good option for that is through the ship on the Rebel Yell. But that's a beach and drinking day, not a nice day on the water...

Which tour operator did you use? I've been looking on TripAdvisor and can only find one, but it gets only 1 star. :( Looking for DH and I to go on a kayak tour while on Tortola.

Which tour operator did you use? I've been looking on TripAdvisor and can only find one, but it gets only 1 star. :( Looking for DH and I to go on a kayak tour while on Tortola.

Alex from ground sea adventures BVI - they have 5 stars and 80 reviews on trip advisor. Website is groundseabvi.com

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Aristocat Charters runs Catamaran trips to all the sites you mentioned including one to the Baths.

Kuralu is also excellent they have a Catamaran that leaves from near the cruise-ships and they also have a Catamaran leaving from West End (cab ride) that will do a snorkeling stop at Sandy Spit before moving on to White Bay, Jost Van Dike.

I have used both - you will be very happy with either.

I would check their web-sites and find the best excursion for your needs.

We have also done Rebel Yell on a short port time and as mentioned above it is strictly a beach and cocktail day.

We have also done Rebel Yell on a short port time and as mentioned above it is strictly a beach and cocktail day.

We were at Tortola this past Saturday, and the ship's excursion used Rebel Yell for a catamaran sail to Norman Island and the caves, followed by some beach/cocktail time. It was the best snorkeling of our voyage by far: clear water, lots of fish, fun caves, plenty of room for the whole group to swim freely and not be in one another's way.

Earlier in the voyage we were at Virgin Gorda, where the Baths were deemed too dangerous due to high ocean swells. At other stops, the churning ocean conditions led to greatly reduced visibility and disappointing snorkeling. That made our Rebel Yell trip to Norman so much more satisfying at the end of the trip.

• 2 weeks later...
What ship will you be on? W are on the Breeze stopping there on Nov 13th and looking to join an excursion

We are also on that sailing! I’ve contacted Aristocat but when you go to their website and enter our sail date, a message appears that there are no sailings. I’m thinking we are too far out for booking them.

• 2 weeks later...
We were at Tortola this past Saturday, and the ship's excursion used Rebel Yell for a catamaran sail to Norman Island and the caves, followed by some beach/cocktail time. It was the best snorkeling of our voyage by far: clear water, lots of fish, fun caves, plenty of room for the whole group to swim freely and not be in one another's way.

Earlier in the voyage we were at Virgin Gorda, where the Baths were deemed too dangerous due to high ocean swells. At other stops, the churning ocean conditions led to greatly reduced visibility and disappointing snorkeling. That made our Rebel Yell trip to Norman so much more satisfying at the end of the trip.

What was the title of the Carnival excursion you did? Thanks.

What was the title of the Carnival excursion you did? Thanks.

The ship's excursion was called the "Sir Frances Drake Channel Snorkel."

I wasn't on Carnival, though. I don't know if there is variation in what different lines call their excursions, even when they are exactly the same product as the other line. Whatever they call it, it was my best excursion all week!

Carnival has the Tortola snorkeling tour which stops at the Norman Island caves and another spot like the Indians depending on the seas. No beach stop, just a 2.5 hr excursion.

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/tortola/tortola-snorkeling-tour-435009

This 4 hour excursion has both beach and snorkel time and looks great -

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/tortola/virgin-islands-sailaway-435012

Your idea of a cat sail to NI and the Indians is an excellent one, especially for what you are looking for. And Kuralu is one of a few excellent outfits.Jost is to the west of your port in Road Town and the only good option for that is through the ship on the Rebel Yell. But that's a beach and drinking day, not a nice day on the water...

Thanks! We are booked with Kuralu and looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! We booked with Kuralu and I feel it's a good choice.

• 4 months later...
Thank you so much. I stay away from the cruise ship excursions also. TripAdvisor is my go-to.

LeAnne

I have found that many of the cruise excursions are the same ones you get if you book yourself off boat, i am interested to know why so many say they avoid the ship-based ones.

I have found that many of the cruise excursions are the same ones you get if you book yourself off boat, i am interested to know why so many say they avoid the ship-based ones.

Actually it depends, many excursions offered through independent operators are not offered through the cruise line.

And of course for those self-excursions that are similar to the cruise ship excursion - eg. a trip to the Baths - the cruise ship cost is typically much higher. And in some cases the queue or meet-up with the ship excursion delays your start, whereas you could be on your way on your own and also have more flexibility.

Just depends on the excursion and you.:)

Actually it depends, many excursions offered through independent operators are not offered through the cruise line.

And of course for those self-excursions that are similar to the cruise ship excursion - eg. a trip to the Baths - the cruise ship cost is typically much higher. And in some cases the queue or meet-up with the ship excursion delays your start, whereas you could be on your way on your own and also have more flexibility.

Just depends on the excursion and you.:)

I get it - the time is sometimes a problem, I agree.