Costa Maya - Beaches? Stay at port?

cruiserbrianj

I know the Taxi is cheap, and there is no problem with that. My question, since we are docked at Costa Maya, can we walk to the Malecon, or do we need a Taxi to take us there? We don't mind walking a few blocks.

I know the Taxi is cheap, and there is no problem with that. My question, since we are docked at Costa Maya, can we walk to the Malecon, or do we need a Taxi to take us there? We don't mind walking a few blocks.

It’s a bit far to walk. I saw some people doing it, but I suspect it’s close to an hour from the port into town where the beaches are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Keith1010, I just finished seeing the rest of your pictures, very nice.:)

I don't know if you will know this or someone else may answer this. I understand there is a shuttle we can take for $2, where do we find the shuttle and purchase tickets after getting off the ship? I believe there is a town, and I would like to check it out as well.

shuttle was $3 per person.

Follow the shops around to the backside of the pool, once you see the flamingos you can cut through one of the shops or walk a little further to a little alley that lets you get to the taxis/shuttles.

there is a little booth to the left selling the tickets once you get to the loading area

• 3 weeks later...
Is the pool that you showed pictures of free to swim in for the kids? Our kids love non-salt water pools and they still talk about a small one we found last year to swim in.

I just swam in this pool last week. It is definitely salt water - not fresh water as otherwise reported.

It was a great spot to cool off, but don't expect fresh water.

What is the "malecon"?

We rented a golf cart and drove into Mahajual. We based out of the Maya Bar, as the trip down the Malecon was exhausting with the constant "salesman" approaching. Never felt threatened, and a simple "No, gracias" was all that was need. We had a great time at Maya Bar (thanks Heather from Chevy Chase, MD who was our waitress) sitting near the beach and just people watching. The port area is nice also. The golf cart that we had was on it's last legs, which was a little nerve wracking hoping it would make it back to the port but overall a great stop!

We have decided to go to Barefoot Beach (Tipsy Turtle). Looks like will be perfect for us. We will do the AI with no food as hubby will probably get lunch but I typically do not. So we are going to try it. Our first time in Costa Maya also so did some research and we think Barefoot will be what we are looking for.

We will leave enough time at the end of the day to walk through the markets. I collect sandal magnets to put on my fridge from every port we visit. Will also just look around and see what is there.

Looking forward to our first time there this December as we will be back again in Costa Maya in December 2019.

What surprised me was the round wash basis right there at the port area "outside." I thought that was so nice to use, without having to go inside and use the restrooms for this.

We did go to town using the shuttle for a couple dollars, but why they don't bring people back, and we have to use a Taxi, I don't understand. I had been several years ago to where there was a Male econ, and I was looking so forward to seeing this one, but it was a disappointment compared to the one I had seen years ago. The Taxi back was to be $8, but we got him to do it for $4 pp.

What surprised me was the round wash basis right there at the port area "outside." I thought that was so nice to use, without having to go inside and use the restrooms for this.

We did go to town using the shuttle for a couple dollars, but why they don't bring people back, and we have to use a Taxi, I don't understand. I had been several years ago to where there was a Male econ, and I was looking so forward to seeing this one, but it was a disappointment compared to the one I had seen years ago. The Taxi back was to be $8, but we got him to do it for $4 pp.

I have always understood the pricing to be $3pp out on the shuttle, or $2 pp out or back in a taxi, (unlike Cozumel where the price is per vehicle).

It sounds like you were being charged for 4 in a vehicle, 4x$2=$8? Last time we had a taxi in Costa Maya there were 4 of us so we didn’t have a problem - maybe others can confirm if price per vehicle is becoming the norm?

https://ahhhmahahual.com/2016/01/11/how-to-transport-from-the-costa-maya-port-into-the-town-of-mahahual/

Are you saying the malecón you saw years ago was in another town? Mahahual used to have just a dirt road through the town until after the big hurricane when the Mexican government put a lot of money in to repair the area and paved the road to become the current, pedestrian-only malecón.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Tropicante! Had a great time there as well as some good food and drink. The Owner, Steve, will save you loungers and a table for your visit if you email him ahead of time. Note: You dont have to email him, but it guarantees you a spot when you get there! Great way to spend a few hours!

shuttle was $3 per person.

Follow the shops around to the backside of the pool, once you see the flamingos you can cut through one of the shops or walk a little further to a little alley that lets you get to the taxis/shuttles.

there is a little booth to the left selling the tickets once you get to the loading area

So, if we were to take the "shuttle" in to town. How would we know where to go for the beach just to hang out for a few hours?

Separately, is there the ability to DIY snorkel anywhere near here, or somewhat within 1/2 hour or so from the port?

Has anyone been to Pitaya Beach, Yaya Beach, or Jaime's at Blue Reef? These are ones we are considering for all inclusives. We are also considering Tropicante. Any thoughts about any of them would be much appreciated!

We loved Jaimies, to the point that the deciding factor for our itinerary for next year was going back to Costa Maya to return.

we are already booked for next march.

Rumor has it that the taxi price has increased. Can anyone confirm this and what the new taxi rate is per person or per taxi to the Mahahual and then also back to the port?

Since when?

$2pp end of January

Just found a post from Steve (Tropicante) that says the taxis are now charging per vehicle instead of per person and that small 3-4 person taxis are $8 per trip. Basically if you can't fill the taxi then you are paying slightly more then you were previously.

So, if we were to take the "shuttle" in to town. How would we know where to go for the beach just to hang out for a few hours?

Separately, is there the ability to DIY snorkel anywhere near here, or somewhat within 1/2 hour or so from the port?

Tell the cab driver to take you to the Krazy Lobster