Icelandic Currency -

We are going on a Celebrity Ireland - Iceland Cruise in April 2018. We would like to acquire local currency prior to our landing at Reykjavik. Does any know if Celebrity Guest Relations can issue local currency prior to landing in Iceland? We are on private tours and would like to pay in local currency, but our schedule once landed is tight. We would appreciate any insight.

I would highly recommend getting local currency prior to your cruise. The exchange rate on board is dreadful! If you won't have time to visit an ATM once on land in Iceland, either see if your bank can secure foreign currency for you or check out Travelex:

https://www.travelex.com/

You can even have the currency delivered right to your door. The exchange rate will be more favorable than on board ship (no, I do not work for or have any affiliation with Travelex ... I've just used they many times to obtain foreign currency.)

Safe travels,

Sharon

We were able to order Icelandic krona from our bank before we went to Iceland. Exchange rate is hard to convert in your head. About 1 krona for 0.0098 USD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I went last year, I just went in an Icelandic bank and they exchanged it no problem. May not have been the best rate, but I enjoyed it.

Yep. Rough estimates.

2000 Krona = ~$20.00

200 Krona = ~$2.00

The easiest (and very fast) way to get cash in Iceland is to simply use an ATM! ATMs are at the airport and very common in most places..and you will get the best rate of exchange. We agree that using a credit card is a great option, but there are times when you will likely want to have some Krona. You might want to ask your tour company if they accept credit cards as this is a norm in Iceland.

Hank

On my Icelandic adventure, I used my CC mostly as others have suggested as the easiest way. My CC gives far better exchange rates which is why I use it.

I’d suggest looking on line for currency suppliers for the best rates open to you. I’d not use the cruise ship or airport to exchange as they are likely to give the worst rates as well as charge commission. I doubt you will get great rates in Reykjavik either but sometimes needs must when the store won’t take your credit card.

• 3 weeks later...

4 visits to Iceland for us so far, the only place we couldn't use plastic was to buy fresh tomatoes from a tray in front of someone's house and they had an honor box asking for ISK. Other than that, everyone took plastic and guides were happy to take tips in USD (or EUR or Pounds) as they can easily exchange them for ISK as needed.

We are going on a Celebrity Ireland - Iceland Cruise in April 2018. We would like to acquire local currency prior to our landing at Reykjavik. Does any know if Celebrity Guest Relations can issue local currency prior to landing in Iceland? We are on private tours and would like to pay in local currency, but our schedule once landed is tight. We would appreciate any insight.

Are you on the April 30th Cruise?

• 1 month later...
We were able to order Icelandic krona from our bank before we went to Iceland. Exchange rate is hard to convert in your head. About 1 krona for 0.0098 USD.

Actually one of the easiest conversions there is. 100 krona equals $1.00. Just divide price by 100 which means moving the decimal point 2 positions

We'll also be in Iceland for our May Celebrity cruise. I'll get a bit of cash for our ports from my Bank before our cruise...not interested in using a foreign ATM....and unlike some of you I just can't imagine using (relying only on) plastic and having no local currency on any of our many trips.

Actually one of the easiest conversions there is. 100 krona equals $1.00. Just divide price by 100 which means moving the decimal point 2 positions

Now it is. When we were there 2 years ago it was 120 krona to the Dollar.

We were in Iceland for a week at the end of March & every single location we visited/shopped/ate accepted CCs.

No need to have cash.

Even the popular hot dog kiosk in downtown Reykjavik accepted CCs.