Fluid retention while cruising!!!

princessdivaapril

This is true about the filtration. I once cruised 5 months pregnant and came back with enormous feet and hands from water retention. I went directly to my OB thinking I was in pre-eclampsia. She said “oh I’m so sorry. I forgot to tell you not to drink the ships water to stick with only bottled.” Now I buy bottled water before I board. Carnival sells 12 pack for $4.50. Got 2 cases for myself and 2 for my husband.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is true about the filtration. I once cruised 5 months pregnant and came back with enormous feet and hands from water retention. I went directly to my OB thinking I was in pre-eclampsia. She said “oh I’m so sorry. I forgot to tell you not to drink the ships water to stick with only bottled.” Now I buy bottled water before I board. Carnival sells 12 pack for $4.50. Got 2 cases for myself and 2 for my husband.

Amazing how much many MDs (and many CC posters) don't know.

Here's the straight scoop on ship water:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40786975

Read that post and the several ones following it.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Amazing how much many MDs don't know.

Bring the water or don’t. I don’t care. But as a nurse, your right, some MDs are tools. But I prefer bottled water on land or sea and advise anyone with a history of CHF to do the same. [emoji6]. Happy cruising!

Poor you, you never think about that. Thanks very much for the reply. Will get some ordered now :)

Sure thing. Idk why people feel so adamant about educating on how safe filtered ocean water is. I drink well water - but don’t feel the need to give 500 reasons why it’s safe. Some are disgusted by well water and that’s just how they feel. We have to respect other people’s views. Good for you if you can drink ocean water and save a few bucks. My body can’t handle it. 🤷🏻*♀️

Sure thing. Idk why people feel so adamant about educating on how safe filtered ocean water is. I drink well water - but don’t feel the need to give 500 reasons why it’s safe. Some are disgusted by well water and that’s just how they feel. We have to respect other people’s views. Good for you if you can drink ocean water and save a few bucks. My body can’t handle it. 🤷🏻*♀️

Perhaps you're missing the point.

I am not suggesting that anyone should drink only ship's water or even some ship's water (beyond what is used in food and beverage prep/service). Rather I (and others) post about the water to correct the misconceptions that it has salt in it, is not pure, or has anything to do with their swollen ankles, etc.

We are fortunate that our preferred cruise line provides whatever of the readily available brands of bottled water we like at no additional cost. As for me, the first thing I request of the cabin steward when we first meet (after introduction pleasantries) is to keep the fridge stocked with Pellegrino.

BTW, besides staying with low sodium food, another good thing to do to help with the swelling issue is to eat a banana everyday (B6 and Potassium combat the swelling). Some other foods are helpful as well: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-ways-to-reduce-water-retention#section2

I am not suggesting that anyone should drink only ship's water or even some ship's water (beyond what is used in food and beverage prep/service). Rather I (and others) post about the water to correct the misconceptions that it has salt in it, is not pure, or has anything to do with their swollen ankles, etc.

We are fortunate that our preferred cruise line provides whatever of the readily available brands of bottled water we like at no additional cost. As for me, the first thing I request of the cabin steward when we first meet (after introduction pleasantries) is to keep the fridge stocked with Pellegrino.

BTW, besides staying with low sodium food, another good thing to do to help with the swelling issue is to eat a banana everyday (B6 and Potassium combat the swelling). Some other foods are helpful as well: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-ways-to-reduce-water-retention#section2

This was totally not directed at you. I did read some of your report. I agree with you.

:eek: I am very prone to fluid retention-during certain timesof the month(sorrry guys) during long car trips, when standing on feet long periods of time, etc. And no I am not terribly over weight(do want to lose 10-15 lbs before my cruise though) Anyway, what can I do to help with this while cruising? Should I take a fluid pill each day? I will be drinkg some alcohol while on board and of course eating will make it worse. I dont want my feet, ankles, fingers and knees to look like stuffed sausages!! Help!!:(I have heard that cruising makes this problem even worse so I thought some of you might have some advice.

This isnt related to a health issue-just something I have always been cursed with as is my mom.

Between the salty food and hot weather, I also swell and cannot wear my rings on a cruise. so speak to you physician about taking diuretics

I like san pelligrino too. I do have to take potassium supplements on occasions if my weekly blood tests detect its low as my plethora of diuretic meds deplete my potassium but I’d need to be eating bunches every day lol. All this chat about water, I’d prefer a big pint of ice cold shandy to knock back in one just now😂

I have never had this issue on a cruise. As at home, I eat lots of fruit and raw vegetable salads with maybe a teaspoon of dressing or just olive oil. I avoid casseroles, lunch meats and fried foods that contain lots of salt. I drink lots of the ship's water and very little else.

I walk fast on deck for how many laps equals at least 3 miles, never use elevators and walk a lot in port. That allows me to be a bookish slug while reading on a lounger the many books I bring with me. :)

I think lots of movement and careful food selection probably makes a big difference as does a healthy weight. It does in my case.

Edited by Bookish Angel

If it is caused by another problem then they should tell the ship's doctor not to be telling people that is the cause. After 30 cruises we still don't drink the water at dinner & never had that problem again.

• 4 months later...

I am prone to water retention when I travel so I always wear compression stockings during the flight or long drive. I wear them at night, on the ship, and the swelling is down in the morning. It gets worse if I'm in a hot, humid climate and do a lot of walking. Eating a banana and/or a baked potato has potassium that will help with leg cramps too.