Will packing a Hair Dryer or Flat Iron on Star send me to the Naughty Room?

Topat

DW has not yet had a problem bringing 'her' hair dryer rather than usingt he one in the cabin. I get a kick out of how ling she takes to get the hair just right and then time how long it takes wind and humidity to wipe it out yet she does it every evening!

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I spend an age getting my hair just right; it's the only one I have left ... :). So now I just settle for a quick head polish with a tissue and hope that the sea salt doesn't look like rampant dandruff :D.

I just searched "flat iron and curling iron" because while doing online check-in, it looks like they are on the prohibited items list. I understand this is an old thread but I see people just posted yesterday and was wondering if anyone ever had a problem bringing flat irons and curling irons. TIA

Under "Prohibited Items" on NCL's website:

PROHIBITED ITEMS LIST

The safety and security of our guests and crew is ournumber one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels.These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item isdetermined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

• 1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  • 2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
  • 3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • 4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
  • 5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
  • 6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  • 7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics
  • 8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
  • 9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • 10. Open razors
  • 11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
  • 12. Spears or spear guns
  • 13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
  • 14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • 15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  • 16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
  • 17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
  • 18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • 19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
  • 20. Large batteries
  • 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, curling irons, hair dryers, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
  • 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • 23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s
  • 24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
  • 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
  • 26. Any form of radio/ telephone signal jamming equipment
  • 27. Samsung Note 7
  • 28. Candles

Under "Prohibited Items" on NCL's website:

PROHIBITED ITEMS LIST

The safety and security of our guests and crew is ournumber one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels.These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item isdetermined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

• 1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  • 2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
  • 3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • 4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
  • 5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
  • 6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  • 7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics
  • 8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
  • 9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • 10. Open razors
  • 11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
  • 12. Spears or spear guns
  • 13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
  • 14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • 15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  • 16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
  • 17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
  • 18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • 19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
  • 20. Large batteries
  • 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, curling irons, hair dryers, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
  • 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • 23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s
  • 24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
  • 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
  • 26. Any form of radio/ telephone signal jamming equipment
  • 27. Samsung Note 7
  • 28. Candles

No curling irons?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just went on a cruise last year on the Escape and I took both my blow dryer and flat iron. Don't remember seeing the prohibited list in red as I was downloading the edocs. This time it's red, so I wonder now if I missed something before or they are enforcing this now for sure. Hmmm! I called NCL only to have the person read the prohibition list for me saying that if it was on the list it'd be confiscated. Well, gee, thanks!

Someone posted on another thread the list from a previous cruise and it wasn't on that list, I can only assume that it was changed not that long ago. Unfortunately that really doesn't matter when it changed it looks like anything with a heating element might be confiscated and you probably won't win the discussion with security. The best suggestion is to pack it in your carry on, at least if they take it you won't have to go to the naughty room to get you luggage.

Someone posted on another thread the list from a previous cruise and it wasn't on that list, I can only assume that it was changed not that long ago. Unfortunately that really doesn't matter when it changed it looks like anything with a heating element might be confiscated and you probably won't win the discussion with security. The best suggestion is to pack it in your carry on, at least if they take it you won't have to go to the naughty room to get you luggage.

I took my flat iron. I always made sure to unplug it and put it in my insulated travel case. Well worth the purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Item 21 on that list seems to ban all hair styling devices. Guess they want people to spend $ at the hair salon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will be impossible now to get a visit into the salon even if you were willing to spend the $$$. :mad:

OK, so at the risk of continuing on with this ancient thread, I just checked my edocs and linked to the Prohibited Items list.....and the curling iron language is not there anymore.....although it does still say ANY kind of heating element, but I think that language was always there and hair products seemed to be ok. At any rate I'm packing my curling iron NOW before they change their minds again!

21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.

Ok I think I have officially lost it. When I posted I first checked the list and it said it, now it doesn't. Maybe they are listening and deleted it from the list. Either that or someone is messing with us.:evilsmile:

It's not you....when it was posted that curling irons were prohibited, I checked and saw it too. So maybe they ARE messing with us....:confused: