Getaway question.

Dolphin-dan

There is NO self service laundry on any Norwegian. Too big of a fire hazard.

No fire hazard. They just don't have them. On a 7-day cruise, they will offer a fill-a-bag special for $19.95 on Day 4 with clothes returned on Day 6. You can also send your laundry in and pay by the piece same day arrive or next day service (like a hotel or the dry cleaner at home).

876ec4fa08d024553c3cf4749e0bdfdc.jpg

de7c119a8e18d7c9124f3d3531166d47.jpg

Some would say the brawls got out of control - LOL!

It would get a bit testy in there back when they had them. As to "fire hazard" - the new Viking Ocean ships have them and they are nice.

NCL does not have them on board. They have never publically stated the reason, but the possibility of a fire is probably not a reason. That possibility is extremely small as long as the vents are cleaned on a regular basis.

Crazy question, but are there self service washer and dryers on board the ship? Thanks : )

Hi there - no there isn't but they will wash your clothes for you at a cost. They run specials that are really reasonable which we took advantage of.

My neighbor's home burned to the ground last week because of a dryer lint fire. At 85, she has to star over again.

So, is it your assertion that NCL would fail to maintain their dryers like your neighbor? Proper maintenance would mitigate the risk of having to start over again.

Many years ago Norwegian had a ship named The Norway. A fire in the ships' laundry killed several staff members and injured several others. The Norway was so badly damaged that She was sunk becoming a reef.

This post is totally false. The Norway had a boiler explode in engineering, it was not part of a laundry. The Norway was never sunk, she, after several years of trying to rebuild, was sent to India to be broken apart.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

I believe it is not due to a fire hazard, otherwise Princess would not have one on every passenger deck. I think this is more of a revenue decision.

I am wondering why anyone would ever want to do laundry on a cruise? They must be changing clothes 6-7 times a day every day!

We would do laundry on Princess the day before debarkation and therefore after arrival at home we could just unpack and put the clothing away; relax and recover after a long days journey.