Car parking Southampton

Essexgirl66

The car park for Parking4cruises is 4.3 miles from the port not actually at the port (according to their website). Cars are returned to the short stay car park in time for disembarkation.

Quotes for a 10 night cruise in a month's time varies from £80 (Penguin), £95+ (Parking4xruises), £102+ (Cruise Parking) to £120 (CPS).

The car park for Parking4cruises is 4.3 miles from the port not actually at the port (according to their website). Cars are returned to the short stay car park in time for disembarkation.

Quotes for a 10 night cruise in a month's time varies from £80 (Penguin), £95+ (Parking4xruises), £102+ (Cruise Parking) to £120 (CPS).

Makes me wonder that as P&O's official parking partner is CPS, do P&O get a 'rake off' from the charges? P&O refer to off site parking with this warning:

All alternative third-party car parking offered operates externally and has no affiliation to P&O Cruises. All third-party services are off-site and you will have a long transfer from the car parking facility to the port through busy road networks which can add a large amount of time to the transfer times advertised.

My guess is that many non CC cruisers are not even aware of these other companies!

Keep in mind that if you decline the free parking option then P&O will allocate you additional OBC to the approximate value of the cost of CPS parking. If you then book parking with a cheaper operator than CPS then you are better off financially, if not convenience wise. The only drawback is that you don't get loyalty discount on your on board spend until all your OBC is used up, so the net gain has to be offset against the fact that you will lose your discount on more of your on board spend.

We have used CPS countless times, mostly without difficulty. Once the car came back with a small dent in a door which they tried desperately to prove was there when we had handed it over (it wasn't!) and they only conceded it because 'it wasn't clear from their photos'. They did pay for a smart repair however.

We had another problem with them a week or so ago when doing a back to back, 2 days plus 7 days. We had linked the bookings and been assured that we could valet park as normal (2 day cruises are self park) and I called them the day before to confirm. I was reassured that there would be no problem and someone would be waiting for me to take the car. We turned up at exactly the time we had said and no CPS operatives were to be seen and I had to faff about for 15 minutes on the phone until they eventually arrived.

We are trying Parking4Cruises for the first time next year for our 24 night USA & Canada cruise. CPS cost £244. Parking4Cruises £129. I am anticipating that it won't be as straight forward as CPS but for that price difference it was worth a try.

Hi John i think you must have been on Britannia then when pax capacity was high for us that cruise, normally you ring in and you are allocated a mini bus number, on the smaller ships i.e Oriana and Arcadia and the phone call comes direct to the drivers .were we drive in pick you up and transfer you back to your car.

I did see Ventura, Britannia and Queen Mary 2 all in port when we disembarked but I was disembarking from Navigator of the Seas.

Regards John

I did see Ventura, Britannia and Queen Mary 2 all in port when we disembarked but I was disembarking from Navigator of the Seas.

Regards John

Hi John yes that,s when QM was at 38/39 berth , we always have two girls in pink hi viz on busy days one to welcome and tick of names, and one to bring to mini bus how did you find the service John did you pick up your bottles of water when leaving the car park, we have pretty good reviews Howard

There is another company Parkncruise which has under cover parking. To compare with my earlier info when obtaining the quote online it was about £100. I later received a call from them telling me of an offer of £80 for our ten night cruise. They have been in business about six months, have the Parkmark and are part of the Lok n Store self storage set up. They are situated in Manor House Avenue not far from dock gate 20. We may give them a try if we do not go with Penguin Parking.

Keep in mind that if you decline the free parking option then P&O will allocate you additional OBC to the approximate value of the cost of CPS parking. If you then book parking with a cheaper operator than CPS then you are better off financially, if not convenience wise. The only drawback is that you don't get loyalty discount on your on board spend until all your OBC is used up, so the net gain has to be offset against the fact that you will lose your discount on more of your on board spend.

We have used CPS countless times, mostly without difficulty. Once the car came back with a small dent in a door which they tried desperately to prove was there when we had handed it over (it wasn't!) and they only conceded it because 'it wasn't clear from their photos'. They did pay for a smart repair however.

We had another problem with them a week or so ago when doing a back to back, 2 days plus 7 days. We had linked the bookings and been assured that we could valet park as normal (2 day cruises are self park) and I called them the day before to confirm. I was reassured that there would be no problem and someone would be waiting for me to take the car. We turned up at exactly the time we had said and no CPS operatives were to be seen and I had to faff about for 15 minutes on the phone until they eventually arrived.

We are trying Parking4Cruises for the first time next year for our 24 night USA & Canada cruise. CPS cost £244. Parking4Cruises £129. I am anticipating that it won't be as straight forward as CPS but for that price difference it was worth a try.

Honestly, it's really easy. Drive to the terminal, drop off your other half if you have one and your bags. Then drive to the short term car park, just opposite and look for the purple flag. Somebody there will take photos of your car, get you to sign and write down the mileage. They will tell you there shouldn't be more than 5 miles on your car when you get it back. Then walk back to the terminal and check in. On return, you don't have to ring them, just disembark, walk over to the short term (leave your bags at the terminal if its easier) and pick up your car.

That quote from P&O is totally incorrect about Parking4cruises. The place where you drop off and pick up is just opposite the terminal!!

The official statement from P&O is carefully worded, like many companies they talk about specific aspects of the process knowing people will incorrectly infer other aspects from what they say. They focus exclusively on "where their services are based", "where your car will be parked" and say that "transferring to a remote location will delay you". The reality with PENGUIN PARKING was that being parked more remotely was a time saver as the buses were available both ways rapidly and transit took us through a labyrinth of docklands roads which I suspect are not on sat-navs and are regarded as private. The parking location afforded quicker access to the motorway network as we had bypassed all of Southampton City.

Regards John

Honestly, it's really easy. Drive to the terminal, drop off your other half if you have one and your bags. Then drive to the short term car park, just opposite and look for the purple flag. Somebody there will take photos of your car, get you to sign and write down the mileage. They will tell you there shouldn't be more than 5 miles on your car when you get it back. Then walk back to the terminal and check in. On return, you don't have to ring them, just disembark, walk over to the short term (leave your bags at the terminal if its easier) and pick up your car.

Thanks Jean. That’s reassuring. I wouldn’t be tempted by the operators where you have to park more than walking distance from the terminal and get a minibus transfer, as we find the ‘drop off at the door and hand over your car’ aspect one of the things that we like most about cruises, especially as my wife is a wheelchair user. But if it’s as easy as you say then I shall be delighted as the price saving versus CPS was massive and we now have an additional £250 OBC to enjoy on top of a good chunk to start with.

The official statement from P&O is carefully worded, like many companies they talk about specific aspects of the process knowing people will incorrectly infer other aspects from what they say. They focus exclusively on "where their services are based", "where your car will be parked" and say that "transferring to a remote location will delay you". The reality with PENGUIN PARKING was that being parked more remotely was a time saver as the buses were available both ways rapidly and transit took us through a labyrinth of docklands roads which I suspect are not on sat-navs and are regarded as private. The parking location afforded quicker access to the motorway network as we had bypassed all of Southampton City.

Regards John

John. I suspect that they used Dock Gate 20, which is about half a mile from the bottom of the M271, as this provides access to Mayflower, City etc without having to drive through Southampton and is very useful when lots of ships are in or the boat show is on as you avoid all traffic congestion. Few people know it, but this is a route that the general public can use (we use it all the time). There is an ANPR camera and a barrier which opens automatically as you approach it. Turn left at the roundabout and then follow the road to the cruise terminals (signposted). For Sat Nav users enter ‘First Avenue, Southampton’. Far quicker than driving all the way to Dock Gate 10 in heavy traffic and sitting in queues at the countless traffic lights.

John. I suspect that they used Dock Gate 20, which is about half a mile from the bottom of the M271, as this provides access to Mayflower, City etc without having to drive through Southampton and is very useful when lots of ships are in or the boat show is on as you avoid all traffic congestion. Few people know it, but this is a route that the general public can use (we use it all the time). There is an ANPR camera and a barrier which opens automatically as you approach it. Turn left at the roundabout and then follow the road to the cruise terminals (signposted). For Sat Nav users enter ‘First Avenue, Southampton’. Far quicker than driving all the way to Dock Gate 10 in heavy traffic and sitting in queues at the countless traffic lights.

That's very useful information Selbourne.

I wasn't aware of that route when visiting the Mayflower Terminal.

CPS make no mention of it in their information pack !!

I think there are three other cruise ships in next Friday so could be a bit busier. I will try that route next Friday when we are due to board Aurora. :)

Thanks Brian.

I didn't want to run the risk of having an unexpected encounter with an irate security guard !! :D

You’ll be fine! Oddly, when you leave Mayflower car parks there is a sign for M271 which directs you out through Dock Gate 20, which is how I discovered it in the first place. It’s not manned these days but even when it was they just waived you through.

• 2 weeks later...

Airlynx Cruise Parking have recently moved from SouthamptonAirport to new premises at Britannia Wharf (adjacent football stadium).Transfer time 5-10 minutes. Competitiveprice. It’s operated by ex-Alternative Cruise Parking owner and drivers. Servicewas very good.

Airlynx Cruise Parking have recently moved from SouthamptonAirport to new premises at Britannia Wharf (adjacent football stadium).Transfer time 5-10 minutes. Competitiveprice. It’s operated by ex-Alternative Cruise Parking owner and drivers. Servicewas very good.

Thanks for the info re Airlynx. We have booked with ParknCruise (Millbrook) undercover parking. The receptionist I booked with has worked with Alternative Cruise Parking. We used to park with Alternative CP but since the business changed hands we decided to park elsewhere as the service was not quite as good as provided by the original owners. We are hoping ParknCruise turns out ok.

Thanks for the info re Airlynx. We have booked with ParknCruise (Millbrook) undercover parking. The receptionist I booked with has worked with Alternative Cruise Parking. We used to park with Alternative CP but since the business changed hands we decided to park elsewhere as the service was not quite as good as provided by the original owners. We are hoping ParknCruise turns out ok.

Hoped that information might be of use to forum members. We had used ACP for several years and also were disappointed with service after change. Just by chance that we booked with Airlynx and found it was operated by original ACP people. Hope ParknCruise is OK for you.

• 3 weeks later...

We parked at Parkncruise undercover parking and were very pleased with the service. We had a short wait for a taxi on the outbound transfer in a warm reception. A taxi was used as it was just us at that time. On the return transfer from the ship we only had to wait about five minutes for the taxi after phoning to say we were ready. Booking by phone was cheaper than online. We will certainly use again.

• 8 months later...

Avoid "Penguin Parking" Came back to a damaged car & Helen the owner has been dismissive, aggressive & lied throughout. I've had to complain to the local Trading Standards as well as the Citizens Advice Bureau. My case will no doubt go to court so I can only advise everyone else to pay a little extra & use the cruise terminal parking. I wish I had!

Avoid "Penguin Parking" Came back to a damaged car & Helen the owner has been dismissive, aggressive & lied throughout. I've had to complain to the local Trading Standards as well as the Citizens Advice Bureau. My case will no doubt go to court so I can only advise everyone else to pay a little extra & use the cruise terminal parking. I wish I had!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, just a shame it has to be on such a sad note about your car.

If as you say you will go to court, then it would be advisable not to post on any media until the case is resolved.

Having said that we hope you do come back and post your outcome that could help others.

Paying a little extra may not have saved your car from damage under terms and conditions

that some parking firms use, such as these two ...

As with all parking establishments, all cars parked are done so at your own risk. You must understand when you leave and collect your car from our front ‘reception’ area that is effectively a public area and outside our direct control. Other passengers may hit your vehicle with their doors leaving or entering their own vehicle. No liability is accepted for any loss or damage whatsoever or howsoever caused, including, but not limited to windscreens, windows, wheels, tyres, mechanical, electrical or bodywork, including vandalism and theft / attempted theft. Inspect your vehicle and report any damage you believe is new to our staff before you leave. Should we be liable for repairs to your vehicle from our own actions we reserve the right to have the work undertaken by our own contractors.

another company ....

Vehicles and Contents are left at Owners risk whilst the vehicle is parked.

Claims for damage will not be considered unless reported to Representatives immediately on the return of the vehicle. Claims for damage will not be considered once the car has left our care and control. We accept no liability for mechanical, structural or electrical failure of any part of your vehicle including windscreens, stone chips to light clusters, alarms, immobilisers, glass, flat batteries, tyres and wheels howsoever caused. accepts no liability for any loss or damage howsoever caused unless proved to be caused by the negligence, wilful act or default or breach of statutory duty of the employees of ****.

Have you thought of contacting your car insurance ?

My car would be covered for damage and as the TV advert says I would not lose my no claims.

Maybe some posters can advise you more and maybe even give us advice on parking that has better terms & conditions than the two posted above.

I wish you a happy outcome and a post from you confirming this . Good luck.