If I had only known... What do you wish someone had told you prior to your 1st NCL cr

morningstar4

(Doesn't apply to me but could help others)

If you have a problem while on-board, deal with it THEN. Don't hold it in for fear of complaining too much then return to CC and complain.

No matter how big (toilet won't flush or toilet floods, for ex.) or small the problem ("...I didn't get a towel animal on most nights...:loudcry:), don't wait until you are home to complain about it.

I can't emphasize this one enough. Don't wait until the last day to do it -- do it when it happens and go to the customer service desk -- even if it is a room issue, don't go to steward. Also, go to your Meet & Greet and get business cards from officers. Most of the time, if you have an issue that they can take care of, it saves you a trip to the customer service desk.

Remember that nothing is perfect and everyone has different experiences. Know what would be important to you and those you are traveling with when reading all of these tips. Most importantly, have an amazing time and make sure you have a packing list and check it twice before you leave :)

Cruising could become a way of life and very addictive. Heading out on cruise # 35 in a few days.

I second that! Oh and your friends, family, coworkers, etc will get sick of you talking about cruises. They will ask not "where are you going on your vacation?" but "Sooo when are you going on your next cruise?" :D Ask me how I know!

I second that! Oh and your friends, family, coworkers, etc will get sick of you talking about cruises. They will ask not "where are you going on your vacation?" but "Sooo when are you going on your next cruise?" :D Ask me how I know!

My coworkers have imposed a rule. I cannot talk about my cruise until I am within a month if it. LOL [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is not something that is done on NCL. Their MDRs are just like restaurants, and you are only seated with your own group. Personally, I'm much happier with NCL because of it. I don't care to eat at a table with a bunch of strangers. When I cruise other lines, I ask for a table for 2--or how many people are with us in our party.

Actually when we cruised on the Escape in 2016 my group of three was asked if we would mind dining with a mother and her adult daughter who had asked to sit with a group. Although we were hesitant we said yes and so happy we did. Got to meet two lovely ladies. The next night we were again asked if we would mind dining with a lady sailing solo. Again we agreed and met a wonderful women from Ireland. Don’t close yourself off to meeting new people. It is a great part of cruising.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't seen this here yet...

If you are in an inside cabin, turn the TV on to the live cam from the bow of the ship. It offered just enough light to work as a nightlight, and it feels like a window. You'll also get to see if you are going by anything interesting so you can get out on deck and not miss it!

I also use a white noise app on my phone set to rain. That does the best for me at screening incidental noise from people passing by, etc.

On NCL, at least on the Pearl, they know bread. I kept finding top quality breads everywhere! Pretzel rolls in the buffet- hello, my little friends. By the end of the week I had kind of racked up a bread scavenger hunt, trying many of them- try new things!

Many ships have room number display sections that swivel or flip to display "Do not disturb" "Make up room" etc. Check yours out as you arrive!

I use ice packs a lot, so I bring a wide-mouth flexible cloth ice/hot water bag, and ask the steward to provide lots of ice- always got a new bucketful whenever they came into the room.

I haven't done this one yet, but will on my next- cruise cabin thermostats are the biggest tease. I started to suspect that they have lights, but no actual connection to the heating/cooling. I found a 6" folding USB/AC fan that will be in my checked luggage and hopefully not get me checked into "the naughty room."

I had ordered bottle service for one cruise without UBP, and then used individual packets of powdered drink mix I brought as mixers, along with lemon slices, cocoa packets, cups of juice/lemonade and cream from the buffet, depending on the drink. It was only partially successful (see others' tip about going to Guest Services right away!)

You can call before your trip and ask for the beds to be split into two twins if you prefer, and once you are on the ship, if your mattress is hard you can ask your steward for "egg crate" for extra cushioning. I saw someone down the hall from me getting this, and they said it helped a lot.

I bring a lanyard for my key card, with a clear pouch, as I don't like to punch a hole in the card, and also a small crossbody for dailies, phone, etc. I brought walkie/talkies, too, but I don't think we used them enough to bring them again.

Rather than take all my prescription bottles, I just loaded up a weekly pill dispenser, then took pics of each bottle label with a pill from each in front in case of questions. Might be overkill, but I'm a be-prepared type girl. Plus bringing an extra copy of passport, credit cards that stays in the room in case I get pickpocketed or lose my bag some other way.

I use a lot of the others, too, of course, but tried to concentrate mostly on stuff that I hadn't seen yet.

Oh, on the NCL Pearl, there are free showers AND a steam room in the gym area, so you don't have to pay to use the one in the spa if that's all you wanted to use.

I was talking to a cruise employee, and he said there are cameras everywhere in the public areas. So if you are thinking the hot tub might be great under the stars- sure it might, but how to diplomatically say this... if you think you are alone... no, not really, you're on candid camera! Holds true for those who think nobody sees them checking out sombody else's luggage, etc. Not that you should need eyes on you to behave decently, but it seems some do, and the eyes are in place!

Also NCL- CruiseNext is really just getting a discount on future cruises. You buy at face value, they put some back in OBC. But don't think that's extra money to spend, as they will also bill OBC for the face value! So you buy $500 in two certificates, they put $250 in OBC, at the end of the trip I have a $250 credit and a $500 debit (plus any other charges I incurred over the cruise), and pay the remaining $250, so in this case I doubled my $250 investment. I can use those certificates (usually only one per cruise) for... I think it's 4 years, and easily transfer them to others traveling with you or as gifts.. Hopefully this is clear. I had heard about this many times, always stated in a really confusing way.

Ask for what you want. I often ask for menu tweaks, as I have an allergy (I also notify them!), but also the only dish that I really wanted was made with shrimp and I prefer chicken, so I asked, and it was fine! I'm sure anything really elaborate or that they didn't have on hand might get a different response, but something like- I love lemon, I had the soda package, but one slice is never realllly what I hope for. So I ask for a little plate of lime/lemon wedges. Best sodas ever! I also do NOT get huffy if it's not a go.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Haven't seen this here yet...

If you are in an inside cabin, turn the TV on to the live cam from the bow of the ship. It offered just enough light to work as a nightlight, and it feels like a window. You'll also get to see if you are going by anything interesting so you can get out on deck and not miss it!

I also use a white noise app on my phone set to rain. That does the best for me at screening incidental noise from people passing by, etc.

On NCL, at least on the Pearl, they know bread. I kept finding top quality breads everywhere! Pretzel rolls in the buffet- hello, my little friends. By the end of the week I had kind of racked up a bread scavenger hunt, trying many of them- try new things!

Many ships have room number display sections that swivel or flip to display "Do not disturb" "Make up room" etc. Check yours out as you arrive!

I use ice packs a lot, so I bring a wide-mouth flexible cloth ice/hot water bag, and ask the steward to provide lots of ice- always got a new bucketful whenever they came into the room.

I haven't done this one yet, but will on my next- cruise cabin thermostats are the biggest tease. I started to suspect that they have lights, but no actual connection to the heating/cooling. I found a 6" folding USB/AC fan that will be in my checked luggage and hopefully not get me checked into "the naughty room."

I had ordered bottle service for one cruise without UBP, and then used individual packets of powdered drink mix I brought as mixers, along with lemon slices, cocoa packets, cups of juice/lemonade and cream from the buffet, depending on the drink. It was only partially successful (see others' tip about going to Guest Services right away!)

You can call before your trip and ask for the beds to be split into two twins if you prefer, and once you are on the ship, if your mattress is hard you can ask your steward for "egg crate" for extra cushioning. I saw someone down the hall from me getting this, and they said it helped a lot.

I bring a lanyard for my key card, with a clear pouch, as I don't like to punch a hole in the card, and also a small crossbody for dailies, phone, etc. I brought walkie/talkies, too, but I don't think we used them enough to bring them again.

Rather than take all my prescription bottles, I just loaded up a weekly pill dispenser, then took pics of each bottle label with a pill from each in front in case of questions. Might be overkill, but I'm a be-prepared type girl. Plus bringing an extra copy of passport, credit cards that stays in the room in case I get pickpocketed or lose my bag some other way.

I use a lot of the others, too, of course, but tried to concentrate mostly on stuff that I hadn't seen yet.

Oh, on the NCL Pearl, there are free showers AND a steam room in the gym area, so you don't have to pay to use the one in the spa if that's all you wanted to use.

I was talking to a cruise employee, and he said there are cameras everywhere in the public areas. So if you are thinking the hot tub might be great under the stars- sure it might, but how to diplomatically say this... if you think you are alone... no, not really, you're on candid camera! Holds true for those who think nobody sees them checking out sombody else's luggage, etc. Not that you should need eyes on you to behave decently, but it seems some do, and the eyes are in place!

Also NCL- CruiseNext is really just getting a discount on future cruises. You buy at face value, they put some back in OBC. But don't think that's extra money to spend, as they will also bill OBC for the face value! So you buy $500 in two certificates, they put $250 in OBC, at the end of the trip I have a $250 credit and a $500 debit (plus any other charges I incurred over the cruise), and pay the remaining $250, so in this case I doubled my $250 investment. I can use those certificates (usually only one per cruise) for... I think it's 4 years, and easily transfer them to others traveling with you or as gifts.. Hopefully this is clear. I had heard about this many times, always stated in a really confusing way.

Ask for what you want. I often ask for menu tweaks, as I have an allergy (I also notify them!), but also the only dish that I really wanted was made with shrimp and I prefer chicken, so I asked, and it was fine! I'm sure anything really elaborate or that they didn't have on hand might get a different response, but something like- I love lemon, I had the soda package, but one slice is never realllly what I hope for. So I ask for a little plate of lime/lemon wedges. Best sodas ever! I also do NOT get huffy if it's not a go.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Loved all of your suggestions! Although I already do several of them, I will definetly take a pic of all my credit cards and passport before I leave on my next cruise in January. Thank you for your very informative suggestions! Happy cruising! ⛴🌴

The Vibe The Vibe The vibe...Spend the money and you will not regret it. Best money spent on any ship that has it..

Go up there one day open a 10ft umbrella next to the King size beds and have the bartender make you a pitcher of your favorite beverage and relax.

How much does a pitcher of a drink cost?

• 3 months later...

I am an extremely nerdy planner. So...I plan by looking at maps and history of each port. And plan my time there carefully. We have had such great adventures!

Second I was given great tips by my neighbor who loved to cruise. - take a shoe organizer ( over the door) so you have extra pockets to store in, high lighter to review the days activities.

Have fun!!

I am an extremely nerdy planner. So...I plan by looking at maps and history of each port. And plan my time there carefully. We have had such great adventures!

Second I was given great tips by my neighbor who loved to cruise. - take a shoe organizer ( over the door) so you have extra pockets to store in, high lighter to review the days activities.

Have fun!!

I’m a nerdy planner too! Even with all my lists and planning I STILL forgot a highlighter! We obviously survived without it on our EPic cruise in December, but I do see why having one would have been helpful! As far as the show organizer goes, we didn’t need one as the Epic has TONS of storage in the balcony cabin.

I wish I knew that the little Snowflake on the thermostat was a "Quick Cool" feature that would shut off your preferred temperature after 15 minutes. Took 2 nights until we learned that on my recent Getaway cruise.

I wish I knew that the little Snowflake on the thermostat was a "Quick Cool" feature that would shut off your preferred temperature after 15 minutes. Took 2 nights until we learned that on my recent Getaway cruise.

This...just crank it down as low as it will go....helps keep the Bride happy. The snowflake had us all messed up too.

Actually when we cruised on the Escape in 2016 my group of three was asked if we would mind dining with a mother and her adult daughter who had asked to sit with a group. Although we were hesitant we said yes and so happy we did. Got to meet two lovely ladies. The next night we were again asked if we would mind dining with a lady sailing solo. Again we agreed and met a wonderful women from Ireland. Don’t close yourself off to meeting new people. It is a great part of cruising.

I travel solo on NCL and I am always asked when I check in to the MDR if I'd like to sit with a group or by myself. They never pushed me to share a table, and some nights I chose to join a group and others I took some time to myself! I met some great people by sharing a table at dinner.

You don’t have to pay the corkage fee for bringing wine onboard if you open it yourself

Lol didn’t realize and didn’t wanna pay $15 to bring my own wine

Hi! Going on my 5th NCL cruise (2nd on Breakaway) this summer. Here are a few tips I can think of:

1. I always bring 3M hooks (they don't damage the walls and come in so many varieties).

2. I bring a few collapsible bins (fabric ones that fold flat and don't take up too much room in the suitcase) to use on the closet shelves, etc. to keep my socks, etc. organized. The smaller ones are great for the bathroom too!

3. I'm a scrap booker. I also try to bring a large manilla envelope for each day so I remember what I did. I put the dailies, tickets, etc. from each day and write the date and any memorable moments on the outside. It's amazing what you forget with all of the fun you're having.

4. Definitely go to the cruise director's activities on the first night and introduce yourself! On my first cruise we did this and 12 years later I am still in contact with Colin (our first CD) and he is actually one of my best friends! His parents even stayed with me when they came to the US!

5. I always pack a few extra hangers - just an FYI.

6. I always pack too much! Lol!

7. An over-the-door shoe holder is an amazing organizing tool - especially when traveling with a family. It can hold toiletries, toys, chargers, etc. (this is where your 3M hooks help).

8. I ALWAYS bring an extension cord and a surge protector strip. There are never enough outlets in the cabins.

9. Ladies, one word - wristlets! Great for your card, phone, and all of those receipts you get throughout the day. Lol!

10. Have fun and enjoy every minute! It always goes by too fast!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I loved Colin, he was my first CD on the Dawn back in 2005!

Any credit card type card will do. The lights in the cabin will only come on if you have a card in the card slot. Its not really all that big of a deal. Some people prefer to have the lights on even when they are not in their cabin. :)

Why would anyone want that? It's completely wasteful.

Why would anyone want that? It's completely wasteful.

I think some people like to charge things while they are gone, and others like to keep the room cool I keeping the air conditioning on. We have never found it necessary.