California Coastal

Bob

Will be doing the California coastal Apr 25, My question is; with the terrible fire that Californian suffered through, has Napa valley recovered so that a tour would still be interesting. Thanks in advance.

Will be doing the California coastal Apr 25, My question is; with the terrible fire that Californian suffered through, has Napa valley recovered so that a tour would still be interesting. Thanks in advance.

Bob, I was in Napa last weekend. The wineries along Hwy 29 on the valley floor are unaffected and anxious to welcome visitors. Some on the Silverado Trail are more likely to be affected. Media reports tend to exaggerate the destruction. Book that tour and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely book the tour! We were in Sonoma County last week and had a wonderful time. We will be at an event at a Silverado Trail winery next weekend and expect to enjoy that as well. The devastation is disturbing but much of the area was untouched by the disaster. They are encouraging tourism as they rely on it for their livelihood.

We live near Napa and went there last weekend. You can see that the hills were burned but that's about it. Once the rains come, even that will start to green up. Everything is open and only a very few wineries were affected. They welcome your business and you should definitely go if you have a chance. It's beautiful!

I am going to agree with most of the other respondents.

We visited friends in Sonoma County (Forestville, west of Santa Rosa) in October a few days after the fires were contained. There is no doubt that, if you visit Santa Rosa, you will see some horrible scenes. It is true that wineries were damaged and some were destroyed (thankfully, very few). Tragically, the most serious affect was the loss of the homes of numerous winery (and related companies) workers. Very few of the vineyards were damaged. Most of the 2017 harvest was complete. The last grapes of the season, Cabernet Sauvignon, were being harvested right when the fires occurred. I have received e-mails from numerous wineries (in both Sonoma and Napa) with thanks for the expressions of concern and reporting that they have returned to normal operations.

Again, as has been expressed in multiple posts, above, they are eager for visitors.

My daughter lives in Santa Rosa and works at Kendell Jackson. We visited earier this month. I am confirming what has been posted above. The overwhelming majority of wineries and other businesses are open and just fine. The local vintners and businesses are working on a "We Are Open" campaign to counter the negative news reports.

We live near Napa and went there last weekend. You can see that the hills were burned but that's about it. Once the rains come, even that will start to green up. Everything is open and only a very few wineries were affected. They welcome your business and you should definitely go if you have a chance. It's beautiful!

Nice to know not much was affected. We were there 3 years ago.

Bob, the flavor or aroma of the wine will take on more of a smokey taste versus Oak you are used too.

Not true.

If grapes are covered by smoke before veraison, then wine made from those grapes may have detectable smoky flavors. This happened to Anderson Valley grapes/wines a few years ago. The recent Napa/Sonoma fires happened well after veraison--in fact, after most of the grapes were harvested. I don't think any Napa or Sonoma winemaker is concerned about their 2017 wines having smoke in their flavors.

I live in Santa Rosa and I would like to contradict the idea that the devastation was over exaggerated. I went on the 10/15 cruise and did not see the devastation until I returned. Many of us were spared and MANY lost everything they had. We are so proud of Sonoma County Strong. Please understand that the wine is pouring but we are in mourning.

I live in Santa Rosa and I would like to contradict the idea that the devastation was over exaggerated. I went on the 10/15 cruise and did not see the devastation until I returned. Many of us were spared and MANY lost everything they had. We are so proud of Sonoma County Strong. Please understand that the wine is pouring but we are in mourning.

A very poignant expression, Andiesue. Thank you for your contribution.