Need help from the experts

lasteiner

Hello, newbie here. I actually did cruise on DCL with my daughter quite a few years ago. I am looking to book a cruise for Feb 2016. I have a couple choices and just wish someone could help me with pros and cons so I can pull the trigger and book it.

Looking at 1. NCL Escape for 7 days. Ft Lauderdale to St Thomas, Tortola, Nassau. Includes free specialty food and drink package.

2. Carnival Glory 7 days. Miami to Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand turk.

3. Holland Eurodam. 7 days Fort Lauderdale to Grand Turk, San Juan, St Thomas, Half Moon Cay

All are very close in price for a balcony room. It's just the 2 of us. We are not big partiers, just want some good food, sun and romance.

I would appreciate any info. Thank you so much!

Lori

I like more port days, so NCL is only giving you 2....and one is Nassau...not my favorite...it's not even in the Caribbean!

How old is your daughter? Unless she's little, I'd go with HAL...the day at Half Moon Cay is a lovely beach day!

Now..to the "romance"...doubt you'll find very much of that on any line....but who knows?

Hello, newbie here. I actually did cruise on DCL with my daughter quite a few years ago. I am looking to book a cruise for Feb 2016. you quite literally missed the boat then heheheh. I have a couple choices and just wish someone could help me with pros and cons so I can pull the trigger and book it.

Looking at 1. NCL Escape for 7 days. Ft Lauderdale to St Thomas, Tortola, Nassau. Includes free specialty food and drink package.

2. Carnival Glory 7 days. Miami to Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand turk.

3. Holland Eurodam. 7 days Fort Lauderdale to Grand Turk, San Juan, St Thomas, Half Moon Cay

All are very close in price for a balcony room. It's just the 2 of us. We are not big partiers, just want some good food, sun and romance.

Lori

if you want 2017 you may find your options are SEVERELY limited regardless as you are so close to sailing date.

2018 you have plenty of time to decide after researching.

Holland cruises are..well.. more traditional and, shall we say.. sedate so if your daughter is under 50, she may be bored.

of the other two, do you want ports, or do you expect to just veg on the ship mostly? if the latter, the NCL is the better deal since it includes on board amenities

if the former, it looks as though Carnival has the better port stops

Oh darn, sorry I wasn't clear. This cruise is for only my husband and I. I had cruised with my daughter in last (many years ago).

ahhhhh.

again I would go with NCL due to the free drinks package and the specialty dining( better ambience, food, etc)

Assuming you don't have a wayback machine to take to a cruise in 2016...are you looking for next month or next year? If 2017 you need to decide right away before the last minute deals disappear.

When you say the prices are about equal...are you comparing just the advertised cruise fare or the grand totals after taxes and fees, insurance (should you choose) and especially the 18% surcharge on the full retail value of the "free" (sic) packages that NCL assesses. Important to include all charges in the comparison.

That NCL itinerary is threadbare, only three ports and one of them is Nassau. Unless you have a compelling interest to head there (such as going to Atlantis) the other two are far superior. Amber Cove (assuming that is the DR stop on Carnival), Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are essentially "beach break" ports with as above HMC being the nicest and most relaxing.

I really messed up my original (and 1st ever) post. Yes, looking at Feb 2017. Hope to book today. Just so nervous, NCL has better food/drinks and appeal to me but Carnival has better ports.

QUOTE=lasteiner;52041058]Hello, newbie here. I actually did cruise on DCL with my daughter quite a few years ago. I am looking to book a cruise for Feb 2016. I have a couple choices and just wish someone could help me with pros and cons so I can pull the trigger and book it.

Lori

Thank you George. We are in our 50's so we actually prefer the older crowd to a bunch of kids. We are foodies and wine lovers.

How regimented to you want to be for dining? On HAL and CCL you will be assigned a dining time and more likely be seated at a table with strangers. On NCL you will get to dine when you want at any restaurant you want. The other two lines have an anytime dining set up but you are still assigned to a restaurant and may have to share.

Make sure you are including the cost of the beverage package that you get for "free" on NCL and will have to pay for on RCL

We are in our 50's so we actually prefer the older crowd to a bunch of kids. We are foodies and wine lovers.

HAL has As You Wish Dining (open seating) in one of the two dining rooms. We have never had to wait longer than it took for a seater to return to the m'aitre de's station; I've heard there are peak times when you might be given a pager, but never experienced it myself. We rarely ask for a table for two, though, but tell them "Seat us wherever it makes your life easier!" and are rewarded with beaming faces.

You can also eat at the Lido (buffet) any time it's open! Possibly not too romantic, but maybe what you'll feel like after a day on the beach or excursion.

Ask line or ship specific HAL questions here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Thank you George. We are in our 50's so we actually prefer the older crowd to a bunch of kids. We are foodies and wine lovers.

Trust me, Holland American Line will be right up your alley, you will love the Eurodam.

I would pick HAL in a heartbeat over the other two. Holland America Line ships are truly elegant. We loved the Eurodam, gorgeous ship with great public spaces and a terrific Asian specialty restaurant, Tamarind.

HAL will give you a traditional cruising experience while NCL and Carnival will appeal to a younger crowd.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I have cruised Escape and sister ships to the other 2. Based on the little you described yourselves, I recommend Eurodam.

Escape was a lot of fun but was, by far, the most crowded and chaotic ship on which I have ever sailed.

Carnival was just, well, Carnival.

I would pick Eurodam. Just don't expect to be blown away by their entertainment.

Be sure to read the fine print on that one. NCL is tricky with their pricing games. Those so-called "free" packages come with service charges. The drink package is $100 per person and the specialty dining package is something like $80 per person. Plus, if you look at the way NCL prices, you'll see the rooms are significantly cheaper without the packages. Throw in the fact they charge $8 for room service and you just found the Frontier Airlines of the cruise industry.

Edited by Aquahound

My recommendation is also for the Eurodam. I've not sailed on that ship, but three other HAL ships. You would fit right in by age group.

I like HAL for the size of their ships, the more calm atmosphere and the great and friendly service. Dining can be fixed or at your time. Additionally, HAL offers a full menu for in room dining, meaning you could have that romantic meal on the balcony. Or warm and complete breakfast in bed.

Decent but somewhat pricy wine list. You can bring 2 of your own bottles in carry on and any additional at $18 corkage.

I hope that helps.

Neal

We have done the HAL voyage you referenced on the Eurodam twice over the past 3 years and loved it both times. It's a great itinerary and can be done with little or no paid excursions. The only exception being that we love going over to St John when in St Thomas. Based on what you said, I agree with the others who think you'd really enjoy the Eurodam. Good luck with your choice.

• 9 months later...
Hello, newbie here. I actually did cruise on DCL with my daughter quite a few years ago. I am looking to book a cruise for Feb 2016. I have a couple choices and just wish someone could help me with pros and cons so I can pull the trigger and book it.

Lori

HI LASTEINER, I just read this Thread, so I never saw what your final decision was on your cruise. I would be interested in knowing. Whatever it was, I hope it was a great trip. Everyone giving you advice seemed right on target to me. We've done NCL, Carnival and Holland, and doing Holland Eurodam in May 2018, Alaska.