Star Upgrade

PetrosZA

So we will be sailing on the Star out of Venice on the 3rd Sep and booked a Balcony (BC) Room almost 10 months ago for about $3600.00 for the two of us.

After receiving the upgrade email, i have been mulling over the idea of whether or not to make a bid for either a mini-suite or a penthouse with balcony but finally have decided to stick with our existing balcony as how much time do we really spend in our room anyway.

anyone else share the same sentiments? The cost isn't really the issue but feel i would enjoy rather spending the money on nice meals in Venice etc.

We really liked our balcony cabin on the star, it was just the right size. Plenty of storage, could get 2 hard shell cases and hand luggage under the bed. The balcony was also a decent size for us to sit out for a couple of afternoons. We worked on the basis that what we saved by not getting one of the others would cover some trips in ports or a few extra specialty meals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Benefits of an aft penthouse balcony:

Much Larger cabin

Bigger balcony with loungers (not chairs)

Little wind on balcony

Very peaceful view of wake

Smell of fresh baked pastries & bread on your balcony

Breakfast/lunch at Cagneys (if still offered with upgrade)

Butler/Concierge services

If you really don't spend any time in the cabin, these benefits may not interest you.

We all have different values, and funds available, and decisions on how to spend or save money.

That is why lots of people book inside cabins. Or oceanviews. Some consider moving to a balcony as a big splurge. It really varies.

I often chuckle a bit about the threads asking if the Haven is worth it. (not this one) In all reality, 95% of the people that cruise do not think it is worth it - since that is about how many cabins are in the Haven on the ship, and they often do not sell out. So, in all reality most people think the other cabins are just fine.

i think on the Star, minisuites are right under the pool deck (at least on the Jewel they are). for that reason, we chose not to bid on an upgrade from a window to a minisuite as we did not want that deck. when you upgrade, tehy can put you anywhere. we love the suites, but not for several thousand more.

If you look at deck pland sometimes certain cabins have huge balonies ....before you choose a cabin che k deck plans what is above what is bellow ....that can tell you if its quiet or noisy

On our sSpirit cruise our cabin was under the buffet ...but it is carpetted never heard a sound ...it was a perfect cabin ....i never found minisuites that much bigger than regular balconies ...figure what the most important thing for you ..lgo with that

For me its good size balconyli spend a lot of time on my balcony...early morning coffee, reading , watching the waves or scenery, sunrises, sunsets , dozing, stargazing ...moongazing .........like I said what is your priority

Michele

• 1 month later...

I upgraded to a Penthouse Aft Balcony on a 6 day port intensive cruise back in July. Thought the same thing, why am I doing this? So glad I did, I got sick, didn't leave my cabin for 2 days, slowly ventured out on the 3rd day, missed 2 ports completely. So glad I upgraded I'm sure I would've been claustrophobic, it was nice having a butler bring you whatever you wanted anytime you needed it. Not the reason I upgraded, but soooo glad I did!

• 4 weeks later...
We really liked our balcony cabin on the star, it was just the right size. Plenty of storage, could get 2 hard shell cases and hand luggage under the bed. The balcony was also a decent size for us to sit out for a couple of afternoons. We worked on the basis that what we saved by not getting one of the others would cover some trips in ports or a few extra specialty meals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We agree. We do a T/A in Nov. Have balcony booked. Got the usual upgrade email for us to bid. Not happening. If they want to upgrade us we might. If I have to pay for it, no thanks. Call me cheap, just don't call me late for dinner.

So we will be sailing on the Star out of Venice on the 3rd Sep and booked a Balcony (BC) Room almost 10 months ago for about $3600.00 for the two of us.

After receiving the upgrade email, i have been mulling over the idea of whether or not to make a bid for either a mini-suite or a penthouse with balcony but finally have decided to stick with our existing balcony as how much time do we really spend in our room anyway.

anyone else share the same sentiments? The cost isn't really the issue but feel i would enjoy rather spending the money on nice meals in Venice etc.

wrong thread

• 4 weeks later...

I booked at 14 day cruise very early this year. I stuck with on Ocean view because the cost difference to a balcony was too much. This will be my 3rd NCL cruise in 6 months. I have learned the the upgrade auction sometimes works and not. My 14 day cruise was just upgraded to a mini suite mid ship 11th floor for $500.00 total. I decided that for this cruise and the length what I would be willing to pay for upgrades. I bid on Balcony and mini suite.. I bid about half the price for the balcony. Needless to say I am very happy with the upgrade. Basically for $36.00 more a day than I paid for Ocean view.