Price Drops

AnOnymously

Not sailed with P and O before.

Are P and O susceptible to significant price drops before final payment?

I am sure they are after, but wonder if it is worth waiting to see if the cruise I am sort of interested in for 2019 changes price significantly, like some of the US lines do.

Do they offer any perks?

Not sailed with P and O before.

Are P and O susceptible to significant price drops before final payment?

I am sure they are after, but wonder if it is worth waiting to see if the cruise I am sort of interested in for 2019 changes price significantly, like some of the US lines do.

Do they offer any perks?

They certainly were, some time ago. But not now. Demand seems to have caught up with supply.

There are rarely any price drops and those are very late when people drop out. Generally the cheapest time to book is the day the cruises are released. That was two months ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes.

I booked early this year for Feb 18.

The inside cabin I booked is now offered for £400 less.

Balcony cabins were £600 more than inside and are now offered for £100 more than I paid for an inside.

The final payment is not due for another 2 weeks.

I would cancel and rebook but we are travelling with friends and may not end up on the same flight.

Yes.

Balcony cabins were £600 more than inside and are now offered for £100 more than I paid for an inside.

I would cancel and rebook but we are travelling with friends and may not end up on the same flight.

So you booked at an expensive point. What was the price when the booking opened.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Yes.

If like me you are cruising to the caribbean in Feb 2018 the prices have dropped massively but I think that is largely due to the disaster in some of the islands rather than usual practice.Rather than losing a large deposit by cancelling I have considered transferring the cruise to the one a day earlier (for a lot better cabin!)and just pay the admin cost.However I will probably keep things as they are because on other occasions prices have increased dramaticaly after I have booked.Current trends seem to imply that it is cheaper to book as soon as the cruises go on sale

Yes I think that, at the moment, the very early booking prices are best however there is still a tendency for P&O to drop prices after the payment date is past.

The price drop can be massive towards the end which is gauling. Balcony for less than an inside, delux for less than an outside etc.

And it also brings back the issues around select and saver. You can have a "saver" who has paid a lot more for the cabin grade that a late booking select and the select Booker gets shuttles, priority for dining etc.

While it is all about market forces and profit it is all very annoying if you are on the wrong end of it like the OP.

We booked our next cruise on oriana and were told it was the best price and when we got home I found it was £262.00 cheaper same grade so I cancelled it and rebooked the exact same cabin [emoji15]

We booked our next cruise on oriana and were told it was the best price and when we got home I found it was £262.00 cheaper same grade so I cancelled it and rebooked the exact same cabin [emoji15]

But I bet you still paid more than if you had booked on day one.

I don’t know I never saw the first day price but I know that as of today I could have got a balcony cabin for £600.00 cheaper than I paid lol you can’t win with them se la vie as they say in Spain [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I don’t know I never saw the first day price but I know that as of today I could have got a balcony cabin for £600.00 cheaper than I paid lol you can’t win with them se la vie as they say in Spain [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

This is the lottery you get involved with when you book at an expensive time. We book on day one and in our last 15 or so cruises have never had our price bettered.

This is the lottery you get involved with when you book at an expensive time. We book on day one and in our last 15 or so cruises have never had our price bettered.

Correct me if I am wrong here Dai but you tend to book suites and mini suites? You are probably absolutely correct about them but not for the average balcony cabin. They can and do reduce a lot depending on the cruise. Other cruises - they go up, as you say a lottery.

Not everyone can book on day 1. People who still work have to get leave approved, those with care responsibilities need to arrange respite etc. Cruise companies play on this to an extent. Market forces.

We have booked on day one in the past, but for summer 2019 they have released it so early that we have not booked. I want to see what the other lines are offering before we make a decision. We are not loyal to one cruise line at all. Itinerary is very important to us. There is one P&O cruise we fancy but will not commit to booking until we see what alternatives are available elsewhere. Unfortunately that may mean paying more!

We have booked on day one in the past, but for summer 2019 they have released it so early that we have not booked. I want to see what the other lines are offering before we make a decision. We are not loyal to one cruise line at all. Itinerary is very important to us. There is one P&O cruise we fancy but will not commit to booking until we see what alternatives are available elsewhere. Unfortunately that may mean paying more!

Personally I have found that if you are not bothered about cabin location the longer you leave it most of the time you can get it cheaper an example is the next cruise we are on we have paid £2207.00 for a balcony cabin and you can get a balcony cabin for £1600.00 on the same cruise.even taking into account the free parking and obc we’ve received it’s still £430.00 cheaper

Correct me if I am wrong here Dai but you tend to book suites and mini suites? You are probably absolutely correct about them but not for the average balcony cabin. They can and do reduce a lot depending on the cruise. Other cruises - they go up, as you say a lottery.

Not everyone can book on day 1. People who still work have to get leave approved, those with care responsibilities need to arrange respite etc. Cruise companies play on this to an extent. Market forces.

I do book suites and mini suites but as I use a mobility scooter if I did not and had to book adapted cabins I would still have to book on day one. In other words I do not have a choice.

I have to disagree with you about other types of cabin. I read many forums and it is quite clear the number of posts when people complain about price drops has just about dried up. The ones that do appear are usually those who have booked at an expensive point in the booking period. I do agree that prices do go up and down but rarely below the start point.

I do book suites and mini suites but as I use a mobility scooter if I did not and had to book adapted cabins I would still have to book on day one. In other words I do not have a choice.

I have to disagree with you about other types of cabin. I read many forums and it is quite clear the number of posts when people complain about price drops has just about dried up. The ones that do appear are usually those who have booked at an expensive point in the booking period. I do agree that prices do go up and down but rarely below the start point.

So just tough luck for people who still work, or who are carers etc then? Ok for P&O to take advantage of them by pushing up the prices for those who can't book on day 1?

So just tough luck for people who still work, or who are carers etc then? Ok for P&O to take advantage of them by pushing up the prices for those who can't book on day 1?

It is called supply and demand.

I could never be accused of being a P&O cheerleader, but It's a bit harsh to single them out for moving prices as demand changes, most other cruise lines do the same, as well as other holiday companies, in fact their shareholders would have cause to complain if they didn't.

I could never be accused of being a P&O cheerleader, but It's a bit harsh to single them out for moving prices as demand changes, most other cruise lines do the same, as well as other holiday companies, in fact their shareholders would have cause to complain if they didn't.

Yes. They all do the same so I am certainly not singling out p&o. I have some restrictions on when I can book but even I feel really sorry for parents who can only book in school holidays when the real exploitation happens.

Yes. They all do the same so I am certainly not singling out p&o. I have some restrictions on when I can book but even I feel really sorry for parents who can only book in school holidays when the real exploitation happens.

If you really want to end school holiday "exploitation" the only way to achieve it is to allow parents to take their children out of school for 2/3 weeks in term time. This would rapidly change the pricing policy of the leisure industry, of course it would mean that eveyone else would have to pay higher prices to compensate for the loss of the school holiday premium pricing, which would lead those then paying more to start complaining.