How Soon Did you Receive Nofitication on Haven Bid Upgrade Escape or Getaway

taylortime05

Hi,

I am assuming that the Haven Bid Upgrades are the last to notified if the sailing has plenty of balconies available.

I'm just curious how many people get notified more than week before sailing for Haven upgrades on Escape or Getaway.

Thanks for your feedback

I do not KNOW which order they do it in, but there is some logic to doing the higher rooms first. For discussion, assume there is one haven available for upgrade. And no balcony cabins available. And no OV.

They would have to do the Haven upgrade first, which opens up a balcony. Then they have to do the balcony upgrade from the OV, which now opens up a OV, etc.

They can not upgrade the lower level first because that cabin is not open yet.

Of course, if they have lots of balcony cabins available, they can do some of those first.

It probably depends upon a lot of different factors...what rooms they have a lot of, what room type you’re in, how much you paid vs the going rate, etc...our original cabin was going for more than what we paid and we were upgraded to Haven at 70 days out.

It probably depends upon a lot of different factors...what rooms they have a lot of, what room type you’re in, how much you paid vs the going rate, etc...our original cabin was going for more than what we paid and we were upgraded to Haven at 70 days out.

Yep. Lots of factors. You pointed out a good reason. If they are currently able to sell XXX category at a very strong price, then make more of them available.

On a related note that some may think is the same thing - I really doubt that winning bids are tied to what one person paid vs another. For example, for discussion, assume there is one mini suite left to bid on. They have multiple offers from folks in balcony cabins and will move one of them up. They could care less what those people paid, and only care which one will give NCL the most MORE money to get a mini-suite. What they already paid is already a done deal. It will not change.

We were upgraded from handicap balcony to Haven Owners Suite (H3) for the Jade Dec 18th sailing on October 9th - I had put bids in as soon as I was notified. I had a low fair bid, according to the system.

This sailing had all the ports rearranged because of the hurricanes, so that may have had something to do with the timing.

I have never had a bid accepted that quickly - it’s usually about 7-10 days before sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by xriva
Additional details

Yep. Lots of factors. You pointed out a good reason. If they are currently able to sell XXX category at a very strong price, then make more of them available.

On a related note that some may think is the same thing - I really doubt that winning bids are tied to what one person paid vs another. For example, for discussion, assume there is one mini suite left to bid on. They have multiple offers from folks in balcony cabins and will move one of them up. They could care less what those people paid, and only care which one will give NCL the most MORE money to get a mini-suite. What they already paid is already a done deal. It will not change.

I agree with this. I think it has more to do with what staterooms NCL feels they can resell and at what price, in combination with the bid. I'll use Dec 16th as an example, as they're probably about to start the upgrade process on those. Lets say you're in a balcony and NCL is selling those last-minute sail-away at $599, and you bid $750PP for a Haven Penthouse. Mini-suites are selling at $899PP as a sail-away and you also bid $750. Odds are they're going to have a much easier time selling a $600PP room vs a $900PP room last minute, so a balcony room probably gets the nod there. But if the Mini-suite bids $1,100PP, you might nudge yourself ahead of a balcony as the lost revenue from the unsold Mini-suite is offset by your much higher bid. I'm sure their accountants have some type of formula based on historical sales data.

Same goes for Inside vs OV - insides are much easier to move last-minute, thus more likely to get bumped to Balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone help me. It's been a few years since I cruised NCL. I don't ever remember being given the opportunity to bid for an upgrade. Is this something new, and do they pursue you to do this, or do I need to look for it online?

Thanks