NCL Sky....Girls Getaway..

Kileymf

Hi There,

We're planning a lil getaway for 3 friends (2 Are moms, all in our mid-thirties). Two of us have cruised before mostly on newer ships and one is a first-time cruiser. We like the weekend cruises (3 days) but are wondering if we'll be disappointed in the sky if it turns out to be a full-on booze cruise atmosphere or is really dated. We'd hate to have our friend's first cruise experience not be great. She also is worried about motion and we've thought best to go mid ship balcony but are wondering if she won't enjoy the aft balcony more... unless she'll really feel a lot more motion there. Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Aft balconies are great - they are big enough to lay out on the lounger with a mimosa and chill and enjoy the view! We have had the aft 3 times and never any motion issues. As far as the Sky being a booze cruise, a lot of that depends on the date you are going. If you take the trip during spring break times there will be a much younger crowd and lots of drinking. We went on Mothers Day weekend last year and although there was a good sail away party and White Night Party it was not a constant drunkathon. As far as being dated, meh, it is what it is. The sky is a smaller older ship, but for a 3 day cruise, to me at least, it is fine. It has all of the fun amenities that you would need on a short cruise. Plus you get a day at the beach and a day in Nassau. The food is generally good and you can always upgrade your dining experience by getting the specialty restaurants for $ 70 each for 3 meals. With the Sky it all depends on your attitude. If you roll with the flow and look to have fun, then fun is going to find you.

We did a girls' getaway on the Sky last year with 10 of us all ranging in age from early 30s to early 70s. About half were first-time cruisers. All had mid-ship balconies on deck 9. We did the 4 day.

For the most part, everyone in our group had a good time. The ones that didn't had wanted to try cruising and found it just wasn't what they were expecting and won't cruise again. They were curious about it, wanted a getaway, and tried it, but simply didn't enjoy; they would never had known had they not tried it. Others loved it and have been itching it go again. I would encourage your friend to go with an open mind and not overload her with information before you leave. We gave the important information to our group before leaving (buy insurance, bring seasick meds, don't forget your passport, etc.), but left the day-to-day life of cruising up to them to experience for themselves. Sure, they had questions that we answered to give them an idea of what to do each day, but for the most part left it open and free for people to do what they like.

As far as the booze cruise, it may be more of one on the weekends, but I'm not sure. May depend on the time of year? The 4-day didn't feel like a booze cruise and everyone was well behaved and having a good time.

The Sky is an older ship, and after being on NCL's bigger ships (Escape and Epic), it did feel a bit dated, but that no way impacted many in our group's enjoyment of the cruise.

For the motion, I'd stick with your mid-ship balcony. In June of last year, while leaving Miami, it was really rocky, and we definitely noticed it at dinner in the aft dining room that night. One in our group had trouble making it through dinner and a few others left early. They felt less movement once back in their mid-ship balconies, but still took seasickness meds to help. On my other sailing of the Sky smack during the middle of hurricane season, the seas were like glass. You just never know how the seas will be. If your friend is concerned, I'd stick mid-ship.

Have fun!!

Aft balconies are great - they are big enough to lay out on the lounger with a mimosa and chill and enjoy the view! We have had the aft 3 times and never any motion issues. As far as the Sky being a booze cruise, a lot of that depends on the date you are going. If you take the trip during spring break times there will be a much younger crowd and lots of drinking. We went on Mothers Day weekend last year and although there was a good sail away party and White Night Party it was not a constant drunkathon. As far as being dated, meh, it is what it is. The sky is a smaller older ship, but for a 3 day cruise, to me at least, it is fine. It has all of the fun amenities that you would need on a short cruise. Plus you get a day at the beach and a day in Nassau. The food is generally good and you can always upgrade your dining experience by getting the specialty restaurants for $ 70 each for 3 meals. With the Sky it all depends on your attitude. If you roll with the flow and look to have fun, then fun is going to find you.

Thank you so much!! We are definitely just excited to get away for a few days, we've never done it! You confirmed our exact thoughts that we may need to just have the correct expectations, it's not the Westin but more like a Quality Inn...which is fine, as long as you know it ahead of time :D I can't imagine it being awful and it's only a few nights. We are looking in February or the first two weekends in March (to avoid the spring breakers hopefully lol).

Thanks for your response!!!

We did a girls' getaway on the Sky last year with 10 of us all ranging in age from early 30s to early 70s. About half were first-time cruisers. All had mid-ship balconies on deck 9. We did the 4 day.

For the most part, everyone in our group had a good time. The ones that didn't had wanted to try cruising and found it just wasn't what they were expecting and won't cruise again. They were curious about it, wanted a getaway, and tried it, but simply didn't enjoy; they would never had known had they not tried it. Others loved it and have been itching it go again. I would encourage your friend to go with an open mind and not overload her with information before you leave. We gave the important information to our group before leaving (buy insurance, bring seasick meds, don't forget your passport, etc.), but left the day-to-day life of cruising up to them to experience for themselves. Sure, they had questions that we answered to give them an idea of what to do each day, but for the most part left it open and free for people to do what they like.

As far as the booze cruise, it may be more of one on the weekends, but I'm not sure. May depend on the time of year? The 4-day didn't feel like a booze cruise and everyone was well behaved and having a good time.

The Sky is an older ship, and after being on NCL's bigger ships (Escape and Epic), it did feel a bit dated, but that no way impacted many in our group's enjoyment of the cruise.

For the motion, I'd stick with your mid-ship balcony. In June of last year, while leaving Miami, it was really rocky, and we definitely noticed it at dinner in the aft dining room that night. One in our group had trouble making it through dinner and a few others left early. They felt less movement once back in their mid-ship balconies, but still took seasickness meds to help. On my other sailing of the Sky smack during the middle of hurricane season, the seas were like glass. You just never know how the seas will be. If your friend is concerned, I'd stick mid-ship.

Have fun!!

Thank you thank you thank you! Mid-ship it is! I think the 3/4 day cruises are a great way to see if cruising is for you, too. Great to hear you're experience with a group of first-time cruisers! I suppose if it is a full on $*@! show we can look for quieter places or hit the hay early and get up before their hangovers have worn off :)