Wi-fi

buggymaggiemae

I'm a technology dinosaur - if anyone challenges this post, almost certainly they're right & I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Wifi on ships can be a lot more expensive than it appears because of slow connection. A great deal better than it used to be but still pretty variable from cruise line to cruise line, from ship to ship, & from location to location. So do try to check reviews about wifi on your cruise line & your ship.

To make best use of your airtime, do as much as you can - like composing e-mails - offline, & then go on-line to send. And make sure you log out each time you finish using it, or your airtime can evaporate

If you're prepared to take your tablet ashore you'll find

- free wifi hot-spots in some ports. Ship's crew can usually tell you where.

and

- free wifi in most bars & cafes, they'll have signs to that effect. It's accessed by customers using a password provided by the bar/café server - but the quality of the signal is very variable, so check that other customers are happily tapping away before ordering a drink. If other customers say that the signal is poor / slow / drops-out, carry on to another outlet.

Do bear in mind that public wifi isn't totally secure, nerds sat nearby can hack. I don't know my stuff on internet security but I certainly don't open up sensitive sites such as my bank accounts.

JB :)

I'm a technology dinosaur - if anyone challenges this post, almost certainly they're right & I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Wifi on ships can be a lot more expensive than it appears because of slow connection. A great deal better than it used to be but still pretty variable from cruise line to cruise line, from ship to ship, & from location to location. So do try to check reviews about wifi on your cruise line & your ship.

To make best use of your airtime, do as much as you can - like composing e-mails - offline, & then go on-line to send. And make sure you log out each time you finish using it, or your airtime can evaporate

If you're prepared to take your tablet ashore you'll find

- free wifi hot-spots in some ports. Ship's crew can usually tell you where.

and

- free wifi in most bars & cafes, they'll have signs to that effect. It's accessed by customers using a password provided by the bar/café server - but the quality of the signal is very variable, so check that other customers are happily tapping away before ordering a drink. If other customers say that the signal is poor / slow / drops-out, carry on to another outlet.

Do bear in mind that public wifi isn't totally secure, nerds sat nearby can hack. I don't know my stuff on internet security but I certainly don't open up sensitive sites such as my bank accounts.

JB :)

Close, but no cigar :)

Carnival no longer sells internet by the minute, but rather by the day or for the entire cruise. Your advice regarding saving time (working offline then transmitting only once online) is moot. The use of free wifi in ports is good advice, depending on the port.

You could have gotten your answer by typing "cost of internet on carnival" into Google.

DON

Keep in mind that by posting here other forum members can see the Q&A. Additionally, if everyone used google, there would be no more forum. LOL.

No criticism intended. Just a different take on things I guess.

Close, but no cigar :)

Carnival no longer sells internet by the minute, but rather by the day or for the entire cruise. Your advice regarding saving time (working offline then transmitting only once online) is moot. The use of free wifi in ports is good advice, depending on the port.

Just adding on.

Free wifi is dangerous to use these days. Why?

let's say you go to a local coffee shop to get a cup of coffee and to use the free wifi.

The free wifi name is coffeeshop.

A hacker can sit down, create a new wifi name and call it free_coffeeshop.

You go to log in and see free_coffeeshop and you connect. The hacker now has control over you device and is downloading all information off of your device to include stored and saved passwords. To include web browser history, plus is recording all keystrokes. You go to your bank website to pay some bills,,,, you're done.

Only log into secure networks or networks you trust.

One option is to rent an international mifi device. Can't use it on the ship but can use it in ports.

Social - $4.00 a day - used for facebook and certain other social websites

Value - $10.25 a day - used for social plus email and general web surfing ( NOT streaming)

Premium - $14.88 a day - used for everything MEANT to offer streaming like Netflix ect but often the internet isn't good enough on the ship for this.