Where do you put carry on bags after boarding? Can you take them to the state room?

hunnyho

Carnival Splendor

I read that the state room may not be ready after early boarding. Do I have to carry all bags with me to to the buffet or the pool until I have access to the state room?

On Carnival, unless you have priority cabin access, you will need to keep your bags with you until the cabins are opened, usually around 1:30.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is a basic rule of travel (be it cruise or land). Put you valuables in your carry-on (not in checked luggage. And always keep that carry-on within arms reach until you get into your hotel, cabin, or room...where you have a place (like a safe) to safely secure your valuables. On the cruise lines (such as Celebrity) where they do not let you in your cabin upon boarding, you will need to keep your luggage with you until you can finally get into your cabin. Most folks will go to lunch after boarding a ship..and simply take their carry-on with them. If you are going to a buffet, we suggest first finding a table and chairs, and then going in shifts to get your food while one always stays with the luggage. You could take a chance and just leave your stuff nearby...and likely would be fine. But a half century of extensive travel has taught me to always practice some degree of personal security.

Hank

If you dont have priority status and you dont want to haul bags around, you couod check in and board a little closer to 1:30 when cabins are typically ready. *Priority status is gotten by having enough loyalty points or by purchasing "faster to the fun" from the excursions page of you carnival acct.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I check my suitcase and a small bag. I'm platinum so my room should be ready. However sometimes things don't work out. So I carry a backpack with a change of clothes, swim suit, toiletries and meds. It's way better then dragging a small carry on to the pool, lido deck ect...

We checked suitcases (airplane carry-on) when we got to port to be delivered to stateroom. I packed small bag at hotel night before (we flew in early) with swim trunks, change of clothes, meds and CPAP, cruise documents & valuables and only had to carry the one small bag for the 2 of us until we could get to our room.

You will likely have to keep your bag with you. My advice about the buffet - don't go there for lunch on embarkation day. Every other passenger will be eating up there. Most ships have other venues open like the main dining room or other complementary places for lunch. Try one of those and save the buffet for after the ship has sailed.

I've been on two cruises and both times was among the last to board because we wanted to eat lunch off-ship. Once we were on board it was already after 2 and our room was ready so we went straight there. Your boarding time is more of a suggestion than a requirement.

Some cruise lines (like Princess) have the cabins ready when boarding starts about 11:30am usually. Other lines, when the cabins are not ready, you must carry the carryons until the cabins are ready

Not true. On our recent Azamara cruise, they tagged our carry on luggage as we boarded the ship and held them until the cabin was ready. This is still easier than carrying the stuff around w us until the cabin is ready.

DON

If you can "drop your bag", the cabin door will likely be open, so anyone else "dropping off their bags" will have access to your stuff. Keep it with you until the cabins are ready to be occupied!

OP will be on Carnival. The hallways will not be open until the rooms are available, and they can only access the rooms if they have some sort of room availability. People dropping things off before the rooms are ready causes problems for the stewards as they are preparing the rooms. There has been such an issue with this that Carnival is now transitioning to a system where people will not get their cards until their room is ready.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On several Carnival ships including Splendor (and soon on all Carnival ships) you will not be given your cruise card (Sail & sign) when you check in. It will be waiting in a sealed envelope outside your cabin door when the cabins are ready. Those with priority boarding will find their cards at their cabins on boarding. Any others who try to sneak down to their cabins will not find a key to access the cabin. EM

On several Carnival ships including Splendor (and soon on all Carnival ships) you will not be given your cruise card (Sail & sign) when you check in. It will be waiting in a sealed envelope outside your cabin door when the cabins are ready. Those with priority boarding will find their cards at their cabins on boarding. Any others who try to sneak down to their cabins will not find a key to access the cabin. EM

The above is the way it works on Carnival ships.

I tend to pack my hand luggage in a very small wheeled suitcase, like you can put in airline cupboards above the seats and tag my bag with the standard luggage labels. As soon as I get on the ship they always try and point you towards the buffet they are offering and I follow that instruction but then divert to my cabin. When I get to the cabin I try to open the door with my cruise card. If that works I go in and put my case in the wardrobe and immediately leave.

On one occasion the cabin steward was in the cabin and told me I was not allowed to do this, so I said would just leave my bag outside. He said this was dangerous as someone might take it. I said but all the cases get left outside the cabins. He said but it was his job to put them inside the cabins. So I said I would take a chance left it there and walked off. He immediately put it in the cabin.

This system is worth trying if you do not have valuables in your bag, have tagged it and if you are unsuccessful with your cruise line then resign yourself to walking round with your bag.

Regards John

I tend to pack my hand luggage in a very small wheeled suitcase, like you can put in airline cupboards above the seats and tag my bag with the standard luggage labels. As soon as I get on the ship they always try and point you towards the buffet they are offering and I follow that instruction but then divert to my cabin. When I get to the cabin I try to open the door with my cruise card. If that works I go in and put my case in the wardrobe and immediately leave.

On one occasion the cabin steward was in the cabin and told me I was not allowed to do this, so I said would just leave my bag outside. He said this was dangerous as someone might take it. I said but all the cases get left outside the cabins. He said but it was his job to put them inside the cabins. So I said I would take a chance left it there and walked off. He immediately put it in the cabin.

This system is worth trying if you do not have valuables in your bag, have tagged it and if you are unsuccessful with your cruise line then resign yourself to walking round with your bag.

Regards John

Not cool....